Newbie - Recommendations!

In the future, if you’re gonna break open new ground, it’s best to wait closer to the end of season after most of those weeds’ germination times have passed for the season, and then come with rye first. That can help keep a lid on that first flush of weeds.

I don’t have an answer for horsetail other than lime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the future, if you’re gonna break open new ground, it’s best to wait closer to the end of season after most of those weeds’ germination times have passed for the season, and then come with rye first. That can help keep a lid on that first flush of weeds.

I don’t have an answer for horsetail other than lime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for that, definitely something I will keep in mind moving forward. Considering throwing Rye in Aug as a cover crop, frost seeding clover, and seeing what we can get moving for next year. As a newcomer I expected many trials along the way and I wanted to jump in to get some of the learning curve underway so I'll be more equipped for future seasons. Fortunately, I think time is on my side and I may try a throw/mow section adjacent to this plot in early Aug with some leftover brassicas I have.

Thank you for that, definitely something I will keep in mind moving forward. Considering throwing Rye in Aug as a cover crop, frost seeding clover, and seeing what we can get moving for next year. As a newcomer I expected many trials along the way and I wanted to jump in to get some of the learning curve underway so I'll be more equipped for future seasons. Fortunately, I think time is on my side and I may try a throw/mow section adjacent to this plot in early Aug with some leftover brassicas I have.
You’re doing fine.

I would plant the clover in August with the rye. Much better germination than frost seeding. Most use that to thicken up areas that might not have done as well with fall planting.

You’re doing fine.

I would plant the clover in August with the rye. Much better germination than frost seeding. Most use that to thicken up areas that might not have done as well with fall planting.
Thank you. Hoping to see the clover pop a little in the coming months to get a good start on things. Hoping the shot of Nitrogen I spread last week jumpstarts their growth as we've had some decent growing weather recently. Also, it may just be the deer have been picking them off as they germinate and not giving them much of a chance.

As I said before, this is mostly a trial run to learn the basics. Plan on doing the entire 3-4 acre field next spring rather than the 0.5 I planted this year.

Personally, in your area, I would not broadcast the WR until early September. This will allow the WR to grow to about 3" - 5", young tender shoots which the deer prefer. If you plant too early, WR will get too long and stemmy/fibrous which the deer do not like. I would plant 60-100 lbs/acre.

Personally, in your area, I would not broadcast the WR until early September. This will allow the WR to grow to about 3" - 5", young tender shoots which the deer prefer. If you plant too early, WR will get too long and stemmy/fibrous which the deer do not like. I would plant 60-100 lbs/acre.
Thank you!

I second that..I plant it on Labor Day weekend (or even later +/- a week or so, depending on rain chances-seed it when a good rain or several days of rain is expected) and the deer usually start moving in not long after ..the longer it sits and doesn’t germinate the worse off you are as a lot of critters from mice to turkeys like the seed

Perfect timing for Pa.

I second that..I plant it on Labor Day weekend (or even later +/- a week or so, depending on rain chances-seed it when a good rain or several days of rain is expected) and the deer usually start moving in not long after ..the longer it sits and doesn’t germinate the worse off you are as a lot of critters from mice to turkeys like the seed
Yup I third that. I usually plant brassicas around August 1st, then come back with oats and rye at the end of August/early September. you can fill in the gaps where you didn't get much germination too.
Like Derek said time up with a good rain although if you're area of PA is anything like mine that might be tough this year. We have a dust bowl going on.

I've had WR germinate in dirt in the back of my side by side bed. Once you broadcast early Sept, the soil moisture & dew should start the germination process.

Can’t argue with those results!
I actually sprayed, seeded, and rolled an addition on to this plot this weekend. Germination seems to be pretty good but the deer and turkeys have been in it nonstop so it's struggling to gain much traction.

I actually sprayed, seeded, and rolled an addition on to this plot this weekend. Germination seems to be pretty good but the deer and turkeys have been in it nonstop so it's struggling to gain much traction.
It can be a good problem to have but hopefully we get a little more rain and the growth can get ahead of the feeding…

It can be a good problem to have but hopefully we get a little more rain and the growth can get ahead of the feeding…
No kidding. It is DRY out there. The occasional afternoon thunderstorm has kept things from complete failure but we're in desperate need for a long slow soaking rain event.