Newbie - Recommendations!

Welcome and awesome looking place.

Know the white clover you planted might be a little early in the game. That place needs spraying 2-3 times a year to get rid of much of the pasture grass. I would do annuals for a while. Rye. Wheat. Oats. Red clover. Balansa berseem. It doesn’t hurt to add some white clover too, but the grass will need to be dealt with for a longer period of time before you have a permanent clover field.

Did you take a soil test? I don’t do them often, but I do like to do them early when you first start a plot to set your baseline.

I like to use a liquid lime advanced cal or plot starter) when you first plant. Helps plants get off to a good start. Also throw some pellet lime when you can. You can definitely do plots without liming, but most clovers need a more neutral ph and you won’t have the plot you desire without some work there. Rye will grow great regardless of the ph.

If no soil test throw as much 13-13-13 you can at planting, and just throw as much as you can each time you plant for a couple of years.

Good luck.

Welcome and awesome looking place.

Know the white clover you planted might be a little early in the game. That place needs spraying 2-3 times a year to get rid of much of the pasture grass. I would do annuals for a while. Rye. Wheat. Oats. Red clover. Balansa berseem. It doesn’t hurt to add some white clover too, but the grass will need to be dealt with for a longer period of time before you have a permanent clover field.

Did you take a soil test? I don’t do them often, but I do like to do them early when you first start a plot to set your baseline.

I like to use a liquid lime advanced cal or plot starter) when you first plant. Helps plants get off to a good start. Also throw some pellet lime when you can. You can definitely do plots without liming, but most clovers need a more neutral ph and you won’t have the plot you desire without some work there. Rye will grow great regardless of the ph.

If no soil test throw as much 13-13-13 you can at planting, and just throw as much as you can each time you plant for a couple of years.

Good luck.
I certainly can hold off, spray down the regrowth, and push back the planting date a few weeks. The plot has been sprayed 2X approx 2 weeks apart. I’ve gathered it’s a bit early for brassica planting here (zone 6) and another dose of gly won’t hurt. Perhaps a little patience is indicated.

Soil sample should be back this week.

I certainly can hold off, spray down the regrowth, and push back the planting date a few weeks. The plot has been sprayed 2X approx 2 weeks apart. I’ve gathered it’s a bit early for brassica planting here (zone 6) and another dose of gly won’t hurt. Perhaps a little patience is indicated.

By all means plant! You just might have to spray again in spring and next summer too.

There are ways to manage grasses once clover is planted, they just don’t work as well as taking care of at the start.

I use Clethodim for control of grasses in my plots. It targets cold & warm season grasses and not broadleaf plants.

You can get it at Keystone pest solutions.

I use Clethodim for control of grasses in my plots. It targets cold & warm season grasses and not broadleaf plants.

You can get it at Keystone pest solutions.
Cleth is good too because you need such a small amount (1.5-2oz/gallon has worked well for me in the past) the only problem is it takes a little while to smoke those grasses but is well worth it

Rain showers on/off all day. Got the upper food plot planted with durana and some leftover imperial clover today. Mixed in a small amount of brassica seeds just to see if they’ll sprout. Checked a trail cam out of curiosity to see what looks like what will be a really solid buck (for my region anyway), with a few months to go I anticipate him to be a shooter come fall. 4ECE1A25-2E0D-42A4-BA3D-C76B2BC0C948.jpeg
Swung down to the lower plot to check on things and was happy to see that the apple trees I planted last year are already bearing a lot of fruit. One of the trees has probably 25+ apples growing despite just being planted last year. I look forward to them gaining some size and taking down the cages to let the deer after their produce.
391ECA43-49BA-41F7-B12B-126F7DFD2776.jpeg

Holy.. I’d say that’s some good growth!

Yes sir, fine looking buck, hopefully he stays close!!

Nice buck! Debating redoing one of my plots too right now. Crimson clover isn't looking so hot in half the plot.

I'd second that opinion on thinning the fruit. I got a 2nd year crossbow crab from whitetail crabs in PA I planted November of 2022. The base is about rake handle sized and probably started out with 30+ fruits. I cut all but about 5 on there. We want it to gorw, but want a sample of the goods too. I fgred leaving just a few is a good balance of both.

What variety is that tree?

Good to fertilize in may and june, but avoid fertilizing after that. MY expception to that is if they have a dry spell. When they're lacking water, they're lacking nutrient uptake into their roots too. So, I give them about a half scoop of miracle grow per 5 gallon jug. I have 4 gallon water jugs with the tops cut off and a 1/4" hole drilled in the bottom. Make the water pour out slowly and more concentrated around the main root ball. When I water at camp, I gt a few of these jugs with strings tied to them, so I can move them while I am carrying water.

IF the durana plot is looking decent around the end of july, you can get some nitrogen fertilizer and put a light coat through it. IF you have grasses growing in it, you can pick up some clethodim and surfactant. Not sure if 2,4db will be rough on those brassicas, if your fighting broadleaf weeds in the plot. Thought they used clethodim on collards down south. Take some close up pictures of grasses growing around your plot to ID the particular variety. cross sectional shape of the leaves, how the leaves are connected at the joint, any seed heads. Sometimes root structure and color helps too. Clethodim isn't an optino for me most years, I usuallu put a nursery plot of oat wheat and or rye with establishing clovers. Get the critters away from eating the clovers for awhile. Oats is a nice starter too. It dies when the nights are15 degrees or so. You get a nice stand of oats with the clover to distract the animals, then in the spring you give your clover some more elbow room. Oats also help shade the clover a bit during summer dry spells. Still can throw some rye in the around labor day to mid september. Could even do a bit later. Seen successfull fall plantings of rye wen planted in early october here in the catskills. Might need a mild fall / winter for it though.

Last edited:
Have some seedlings popping up. Most of them in the lower/wetter area of the plot, doesn’t appear the higher dry side has germinated just yet. Hoping for some afternoon storms this week.
FA89C5E1-0D29-4C63-9EAB-753732E037D8.png
97CA2827-0CD9-4ECE-876A-B401CA8BC4F2.jpeg