New u of m apple

wooduck

5 year old buck +
Was to summer field day u of m announced new apple release will not be a contract managed variety royalties will be on a per tree basis , Apple only has nursery number currently 1980 a cross of honeycrisp X liberty , very scab resistant ripens about honeycrisp season low spray , higher vigor , this may be a great tree for low spray habitat use , they tree can obtained thru Cameron nursery more to come soon

Hopefully some retail nurseries will have in the near future. Sounds like a nice new option.

What was the name of the apple?

What was the name of the apple?
Has not been officially named as of yet ,,, Has a nursery number 1980 , probably wont have an official name for two years or so , spoke with the breeder about characteristics solid zone 3 , crisp but less than honeycrisp , he described flavor as a very ripe harlson , this tree could be ordered now but would be in 100 tree bundles

price for the bundle of 100 trees? group buy anyone??

I'm not a fan of either Honeycrisp or Liberty for eating. I'd have to get a bunch more information/growing reports before I had interest in this variety.

Interesting, I would think they were looking for the toughness of the Liberty with the flavor of Honeycrisp. Sounds like a great apple.

price for the bundle of 100 trees? group buy anyone??
I have not inquired about cost yet , but by past transactions with shipping to one central address about $12.00 ea would be close

I don't need any, but I'd take ten! Lol

The cross between the Honeycrisp and Liberty sounds interesting but there are a few things to look out for as a choice as a top ranking tree for wildlife. 1) Heavy cropping without chemical and hand thinning of Honeycrisp tends to favor biannual production. How will this cross perform? 2) Honeycrisp hang longer on the trees while Liberty ripens and drops most of the crop much earlier. It still will provide a food source for wildlife to eat but I prefer varieties that will sustain wildlife late into the season. 3) Liberty is one of the most disease resistant cultivars but Honeycrisp is not. Will this cross have resistance to CAR, FB, and SCAB? What will be the attraction to insects? Honeycrisp has a high attraction for Japanese Beatles. Will this new cross do the same? I find this new variety to be interesting with parent trees having excellent characteristic but will the offspring have similar traits? Cautiously optimistic but willing to give it a try.