recent U of M Apple varieties

wooduck

5 year old buck +
U of M has released some fantastic apple varieties ,, Honeycrisp , zestar , snowsweet , ect list goes on ,,, Taking a poll if you want . how many here would try the contract varieties'(Sweetango) if available and what would your wanted rootstock be ??

I have read about Sweetango in the past, and thought it may be a decent apple. In my area, I have been planting most trees on Dolgo, or fullsize rootstocks. I have bear problems.

Sweetango is my absolute favorite eating apple. I would definitely be interested in growing if made available to general public and I would consider buying on any rootstock M7 and larger as my orchard does have to content with deer browse.

I've yet to eat a good Sweetango. They must not translate well as grocery store apples. I'm sure they're much better from an orchard or your own trees.

Is there a variety called First Kiss? Is that U of M?

Sweetango with Honeycrisp in it’s parentage quite possibly has poor CAR resistance and unless I see proof otherwise would be poor choice for myself.

Is there a variety called First Kiss? Is that U of M?
First kiss was released more recent ,, and is under contract at this time its a Honeycrisp X mn ark cross ripe mid minnesota about 15 aug and will not hold till sept 10 drops fast

Sweetango with Honeycrisp in it’s parentage quite possibly has poor CAR resistance and unless I see proof otherwise would be poor choice for myself.
Sweetango = Honeycrisp X Zestar cross probably not highly CAR resistant ,, on the other hand Triumph is their newest one Honeycrisp X Liberty cross and is very resistant ,, U claims excellent for no fungicide spray ,, good organic option ,, this one is a no contract apple now and available thru several places

Sweettango is my favorite apple. I think the problem is the shelf life. My store only has them for a month or so and they start to get soft at the end. I always give them the squeeze test after they have been out for awhile.

I'd love to get my hands on a Sweetango or Triumph in any of the large rootstocks. I've got B118, M111, and seedling rootstocks in the orchard now. Zestar is my favorite eating apple, and I've got several other U of M varieties - Honeycrisp, Kindercrisp, Frostbite, State Fair, Chestnut Crab, Sweet Sixteen, Honeygold, Haralson, and Snowsweet. Just waiting for them all to reach bearing age.

I have considered Triumph just not gotten around to ordering one they say good for organic orchard so maybe it would survive my zero spray gardening.

I'd love to get my hands on a Sweetango or Triumph in any of the large rootstocks. I've got B118, M111, and seedling rootstocks in the orchard now. Zestar is my favorite eating apple, and I've got several other U of M varieties - Honeycrisp, Kindercrisp, Frostbite, State Fair, Chestnut Crab, Sweet Sixteen, Honeygold, Haralson, and Snowsweet. Just waiting for them all to reach bearing age.
I have a few frosbite growing and had my first couple apples last year. I was very pleased, unique taste.

Sweetango was my favorite but this year I have been eating Cosmic Crisp and it has become my new favorite by far. It is a University of Washington apple but it is a cross of Honeycrisp (U of M) and Enterprise. In in Northern Wi and only plant on Antonovka.

Cosmic Crisp
Licensed and limited by WSU and only available to growers in Washington state. I like it better than Sweetango too.

I like cosmic crisp but not enough to pay 2.99/3.50 per lb

I like cosmic crisp but not enough to pay 2.99/3.50 per lb
our store saves the higher price for honey crisp. Everything else is the same price. To their credit apples are the only thing in the store the price has not gone up in last year. My guess is they were all bought in fall and they are sticking to keeping the profit the same. Pretty shocking in todays market place.

First, I am not a fan of the “contract variety” concept. It seems to me the whole idea is more about money and marketing than it is about genetics. My objectives are much different from a commercial grower, so for my purposes there are lots of proven varieties that have all the traits I am seeking.

However, if SweeTango were to become available to the public, I would certainly look at its characteristics, and if appropriate, I’d plant one to add diversity to my wildlife orchard. My preferred rootstocks would be M.111, P.18, Dolgo, and G890.

First, I am not a fan of the “contract variety” concept. It seems to me the whole idea is more about money and marketing than it is about genetics. My objectives are much different from a commercial grower, so for my purposes there are lots of proven varieties that have all the traits I am seeking.

However, if SweeTango were to become available to the public, I would certainly look at its characteristics, and if appropriate, I’d plant one to add diversity to my wildlife orchard. My preferred rootstocks would be M.111, P.18, Dolgo, and G890.
Sweetango contract will run out in year 2027 , the apple will still be trademarked ,,,, the trees will be without any contracts at that time and will be sold in the industry as Minneska

Sweetango & Cosmic Crisp - are they sweeter in taste, or do they have some "tang" / tart undertones??