New to grafting

NorthWI

5 year old buck +
I have a few questions about grafting, I'm new to this and just started planting last spring. My hunting property is in northern WI zone 3. Last year I planted 15 two year old bare root apple seedlings from north 40 apple trees, a few ranetka crabapple seedlings from oikos (disappointed with oikos products) and 8 grafted trees from St Lawrence nursery. Most are thriving and put on new growth this year. I will be planting the same this spring minus the oikos order. I would like to graft some of the seedlings, my question is would it be better to bench graft the bare root seedlings I will receive this spring or top work the seedlings I had in the ground last spring. Also, can I get a viable scion from the top growth of the SLN trees I planted last year( they grew about a foot above there 5 foot tubes and are whips)? Can I snip off the tip of the bare root SLN trees I receive this spring and use this as a scion? Maybe I'm jumping the gun here but reading through these post about grafting has got me excited about it. All advice is welcome.
Thank you

I think sometimes those tips winter die back. Can you snip the tip then get a scion a little below that? Might be a better chance for success. Others will weigh in with more experience.

Bench grafting is probably preferable if you can spend the time and effort taking care of them. Field grafting is more practical if you don't have time or space to dedicate the young trees.

As for the tree tips, check the cambium is still green, but it should be a viable scion if it,'s still alive.

I also would focus on bench grafting, it's a little easier to get things lined when you're inside. No harm however in trying a few field grafts to gain some experience and as a comparison point. You're more likely to obtain some viable scion from the trees already in the ground vs new bare root trees. Scion wood needs to be completely dormant and many bare root trees are already breaking dormancy when shipped (as well as being trimmed for shipping). There are also many places to buy inexpensive scion wood as well.

If you cut off the sentral leader for use in grafting the central leader usually produces 3 buds where the central leader was cut. You will probably want to remove 2 of those 3 new growths by the middle of summer or you will have a tree with 3 central leaders. Not good!

Thank you for the responses, I will order some scions instead of trying to harvest from what I have. I found Maple Valley Orchards online and they are close to me. Has anyone ordered from them or have other suggestions for where to order from. Mainly looking for crabapple varieties...

While I've never ordered from them, Temperate Orchard Conservancy has a very large selection (including many crabs), but they're only accepting orders through Jan 30th. You may also find some crab scion from 39th Parallel Nursery, Fruitwood Nursery, Big Horse Creek Farm, Hocking Hills Orchard (need to e-mail them for list), and Burnt Ridge Orchards.

Thank you for the responses, I will order some scions instead of trying to harvest from what I have. I found Maple Valley Orchards online and they are close to me. Has anyone ordered from them or have other suggestions for where to order from. Mainly looking for crabapple varieties...
We have gotten scion from Maple Valley in the past. No complaints.

Ive ordered from maple valley every year for the last 5. Very happy with them. Just placed another order with them earlier this week.
Also lots of people on here who will send scionwood to you. Check the scion exchange thread.

I would like to graft some of the seedlings, my question is would it be better to bench graft the bare root seedlings I will receive this spring or top work the seedlings I had in the ground last spring. Also, can I get a viable scion from the top growth of the SLN trees I planted last year( they grew about a foot above there 5 foot tubes and are whips)? Can I snip off the tip of the bare root SLN trees I receive this spring and use this as a scion? Maybe I'm jumping the gun here but reading through these post about grafting has got me excited about it. All advice is welcome.
Thank you

So.... to answer your question: Maybe (do both), Yes, and Yes (but dont take the tip go back from the tip a few buds at least - the best scion is in the middle to bottom of the new growth not the end/tips).

If you planted seedlings and did not graft them but are considering grafting to them now that tells me you really may want something different on them anyways so graft those you planted last year. Its fun to plant seedlings but having known trees is likely better. Just do a good job taping them up. They are exposed to wind and birds landing on the branches and can move messing with the joint. Bench grafting is more controlled but there is nothing better than a tree already in the ground.

Any new growth is great scion, you can chance older growth I have done 2 year water sprouts with success - but stick with new growth.

Some of the best bonus scion I have gotten is off of new dormant bare root trees I have just bought. The trees are young enough and taking scion off of them probably does more good than harm. Many people cut back the tips and top bare root trees so you might as well take some as scion.

You have options and all of them are good ones :emoji_thumbsup:I cant say any option is better than another... now you get to decide > have fun!

Last edited: