New Hope Creek Home

5 year old buck +
Here is a tour of our 85 acre home.
Homestead Pictures_Page_01.jpg

Our desire was to move out of Kansas City onto a small property. We purchased this 20 acre homestead in January 2017. At the time the property had been abandoned for 10 years due to litigation. The log home was in poor condition (see photos) and 10 years of non-management had allowed invasive to overtake the property. As we worked on the property, I was diagnosed with stage IV cancer, which slowed the project significantly. The first step was surviving the cancer, then getting the house livable. Although the home and I were not in good condition, we moved into the home in September 2017. By 2018 the house was essentially done, and work began on the property.

In 2020 we removed 8 acres of red cedar in preparation for developing nesting habitat. In Nov. 2021 access to the “other side” of the creek finally made through the placement of a 30 ton capacity bridge. This allowed for the development of a small trail system. Around this time we acquired the 65 acres adjacent to our property that had been left fallow that year, but previously was in a corn-soy rotation. This radical purchase was made to prevent a subdivision of twelve McMansions being proposed for the property. It was truly “we can’t afford it, but we can’t afford not to” decision. I'm truly blessed to have a great wife who supported this step of faith!

Our goals for the property include: 1) Habitat management for quail, deer and turkey; 2) Opportunities for limited hunting for myself, children & grandchildren; 3) A robust garden and mini-orchard to enjoy. Homestead Pictures_Page_25.jpgHomestead Pictures_Page_24.jpgHomestead Pictures_Page_22.jpgHomestead Pictures_Page_21.jpgHomestead Pictures_Page_19.jpgHomestead Pictures_Page_18.jpg

Over time I'll post a few more pictures, along with some of the other properties (40 acres and 13 acres) we manage.

Wind Gypsy

5 year old buck +
Looks like a great place and I’m glad cancer didn’t take you away from it!

Looking forward to hearing more about that bridge as we have a little river bisecting our property and would like to get a bridge made some day.

Reactions: 356

buckdeer1

5 year old buck +
Looks great,hope your doing better

Reactions: 356

5 year old buck +
The cancer is in remission, and I am feeling well, but about half of the endurance pre-cancer. Thus, all projects seem to take much longer than usual. Yesterday we did a little more TSI on the place. Now I need more long weekends or to retire :-)

5 year old buck +
The original owner’s wife was a veternarian, so the home had a dog house with AC, ceiling fans, water and Italian tiles. This is now the chicken coop and garden room. Since the picture was taken, the trees around the coop have been trimmed.

04D3B535-970C-4E53-BF92-E2238D28B9DB.jpeg8C1BC0B4-7E7F-4A61-B209-F2E8A16EFDEA.jpeg04D3B535-970C-4E53-BF92-E2238D28B9DB.jpeg

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
Nice start on the land tour...love the old truck!

SWIFFY

5 year old buck +
Beautiful looking place! Im glad the cancer didnt take the wind out of your sails. I bet everything you want will be very possible there and your kids and grandkids will have many wonderful memories!

5 year old buck +
June 2022 Update: The NRCS fields are coming along great. These were nuked, burned, then nuked again before being drilled this spring. Based on the browse and pictures, are providing great food and cover. I have enjoyed seeing and hearing quail in the fields.

T_00002[9].JPG
This 8 acre quail/wildlife plot is providing browse and cover. The deer used to use the tree line by the north fence, but now they cross the field. I am also getting more daytime photos of the deer.

FAWN 6 17 22.jpeg
2 acre pollinator plot. My wife was commenting on how many more bees and butterflies were in the garden. This is a side benefit of the pollinator field.

Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 4.11.55 PM.png
We have 55 acres in soybeans. Last year this field was fallow. We are putting it back into a corn-soy rotation. Sadly, the first planting was washed out by an 8" rain in 12 hours. The second planting is starting to look better. We left some additional edge for wildlife.