New Garage

No question, for that amount of $$ I would build the 2 trusses myself. You have the dimensions, they should be easy to copy. Don't let a few metal plates discourage you. Laminated lumber a foot or two either side of the joints filled with screws and glue will be stronger than the metal. It would only cost you a little lumber.

-John

Yep, for sure. You can even buy the metal gang nails if you want them.

No question, for that amount of $$ I would build the 2 trusses myself. You have the dimensions, they should be easy to copy. Don't let a few metal plates discourage you. Laminated lumber a foot or two either side of the joints filled with screws and glue will be stronger than the metal. It would only cost you a little lumber.

-John

After some discussion with the General manager, he knocked off all of the shipping, so I was happy with that. Building the trusses was a thought, but my time is limited, and if I had the spare half a day to build the trusses, it would be better used on other stuff.

After some discussion with the General manager, he knocked off all of the shipping, so I was happy with that. Building the trusses was a thought, but my time is limited, and if I had the spare half a day to build the trusses, it would be better used on other stuff.

I'm glad you were able to knock off some $$ from the original cost. You are correct, your time has some value too!

-John

4W ... have you considered adding vents at the roofs peaks? On my last barndomindium I did not have vents on the walls at the roof peaks. Like you, only up on weekends and the inside temps were terrible when we would get up. I went and added louvered 18" x 18" vents with screening (to keep the bess out) at the peaks and then venting down below. That allowed for some natural air movement to vent the building. I would put 2" pink Styrofoam in them during the winter months.

I am was going to add some vents, but the steel roof has vented ridge caps, and the soffits will be vented, and I was told I probably won’t need it. I figured I would do the wait and see, I can always add them later. At this point I am hoping to have it sealed up by the time the snow flies. We will see how the next couple weekends treat me, I am hoping to get the roofing done, garage doors on, and the sheeting on the front and back, and the windows all framed in upstairs. But I am sure as always, I will be hoping for to much for the available time.

While we were there this past weekend, my family informed me we are not working on it, and we are only going to have fun. I did sneak into the garage and cleaned up, organized some, and did a few odds and ends before others woke up in the mornings.

Mine is a go. 30x48. 2 10x10 doors and an 8x8 door. 1 entry door and a window. 4” concrete slab. 25,500. Ill run electrical with the help of a buddy. It’s only 50 ft roughly from my meter to the location for the shop. I’ll have extra romex from the basement project. Guy will be out Wednesday to get the 20% down and go over exact placement of doors and such.
I had mine built last fall for a very comparable price but it's a little smaller (24x48). I opted to make the shop a bit narrower to add a 16' lean-to the full length of it. I use the lean-to a ton! And like you, I did the electric myself also. I also went without trusses to gain some interior height for lofts and basketball.
ca427a3b406b4f81bba4e055d684a2f0.jpg
3def0b01e0d385db4c66bba61c258bae.jpg
9d3b14b023c4ed86e67825da5bf633e3.jpg
b7c7959f1f613de11f87684c5143151a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I would be afraid of damaging the siding playing ball in that place. Kinda neat with the steel beams running across the top. the whole build looks kinda wild with that big roof. Different for sure.

If the front of the lean to is 8ft why would you need a bigger garage door say 9ft? Am I missing something??? or is it a total optical illusion and it's the same height??

I would be afraid of damaging the siding playing ball in that place. Kinda neat with the steel beams running across the top. the whole build looks kinda wild with that big roof. Different for sure.

If the front of the lean to is 8ft why would you need a bigger garage door say 9ft? Am I missing something??? or is it a total optical illusion and it's the same height??

The siding gets some bruises when my 15yr old and his friends play pick-up games, but why worry about it... it's building memories and helping the kids grow up.

Optical illusion. The doors are 10x10 and everything has fit under the leanto (including the skid steer) with no problems. The tin on that side is all single sheets, no seams between the peak and guttering. Saved on cost and should be durable. If I do a leanto on the other side I will make it flatter at a shallower angle so that it's taller at the opening. 10ft is nice for cars and trucks as it shields better from sideways rain but it would be nice to have a 12' opening too.

I am was going to add some vents, but the steel roof has vented ridge caps, and the soffits will be vented, and I was told I probably won’t need it. I figured I would do the wait and see, I can always add them later. At this point I am hoping to have it sealed up by the time the snow flies. We will see how the next couple weekends treat me, I am hoping to get the roofing done, garage doors on, and the sheeting on the front and back, and the windows all framed in upstairs. But I am sure as always, I will be hoping for to much for the available time.

While we were there this past weekend, my family informed me we are not working on it, and we are only going to have fun. I did sneak into the garage and cleaned up, organized some, and did a few odds and ends before others woke up in the mornings.

We had ridge & soffit vents also but the insulation restricted air movement.
The siding gets some bruises when my 15yr old and his friends play pick-up games, but why worry about it... it's building memories and helping the kids grow up.

That sounds like a dream come true ... good thing you built this for livin and not showboating ... wear & tear on a property is normally called antiquing ... when you kids acquire after you and your wife are dust ... lots of story telling, good natured lyin, and smiles will be had ... :emoji_wink:

Optical illusion. The doors are 10x10 and everything has fit under the leanto (including the skid steer) with no problems. The tin on that side is all single sheets, no seams between the peak and guttering. Saved on cost and should be durable. If I do a leanto on the other side I will make it flatter at a shallower angle so that it's taller at the opening. 10ft is nice for cars and trucks as it shields better from sideways rain but it would be nice to have a 12' opening too.

those are both 10feet??? wow that is so deceiving!!
1536108518043.png

You are 100% right! I don't even know what I was thinking when I typed that. Those two doors are 8x10 and the sliding door on the end is 10x10. Good call!

those are both 10feet??? wow that is so deceiving!!
View attachment 20384

You are 100% right! I don't even know what I was thinking when I typed that. Those two doors are 8x10 and the sliding door on the end is 10x10. Good call!

what I am saying... The bottom of the lean-to is 10ft and the garage door where the white pick up located is also 10ft?

what I am saying... The bottom of the lean-to is 10ft and the garage door where the white pick up located is also 10ft?
No sir, they are both 8ft tall. I don't know why I said they were 10ft when they are obviously only 8ft tall spaces. Just something I mixed up in my head even though it didn't make sense.

Last edited:
I asked how much extra it would cost to make the 3rd door 10x10 instead of 8x8. If its a couple hundred Ill do it. If more Ill leave it alone.Screenshot_20180914-155628_Yahoo Mail.jpg

I asked how much extra it would cost to make the 3rd door 10x10 instead of 8x8. If its a couple hundred Ill do it. If more Ill leave it alone.

Just a thought but why not eliminate the 3rd door? You would gain a lot of wall space for storage or small stuff parking.

Are you on 12ft centers? I almost wish I could go back and do it on 10's so that I could have had 5 stalls under my lean-to instead of 4, but it would have made them pretty tight.

Just a thought but why not eliminate the 3rd door? You would gain a lot of wall space for storage or small stuff parking.
I want the third door so I dont have to jockey stuff around to get it in and out. My folks have the same size shop and everytime you want to use a trailer or tractor you have to move stuff around to get it out. Boat will go in one bay, truck in another, and the Sxs, mower, log splitter, tiller, etc in the small door.

I want the third door so I dont have to jockey stuff around to get it in and out. My folks have the same size shop and everytime you want to use a trailer or tractor you have to move stuff around to get it out. Boat will go in one bay, truck in another, and the Sxs, mower, log splitter, tiller, etc in the small door.

I get it. My first building was 67' x 36'. Even at that size could not maneuver internally. leave some flat ground to one side or another ... you'll be wanting to add one :emoji_wink:

12' sidewalls were my biggest mistake. I wish I had 14' or 16', so I could get a 5th wheel or motorhome through door.

Right now to get my SxS out I have to move the wife's car. If I want my tiller, riding mower, or pressure washer out I have to move my truck. Its pretty annoying.