New CWD Positive in Western WI

I wish they would put Washburn back on the no baiting counties.

I knew it'd get here sometime...

I don't understand what you guys are talking about baiting. Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that you can only put out 1 gallon of bait at a time. You call that baiting? Here in NC, we aren't restricted and have been fortunate not to have CWD. I'm not sure baiting is the reason for CWD. I believe that is what State Biologist have sold the hunting public.

I don't understand what you guys are talking about baiting. Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that you can only put out 1 gallon of bait at a time. You call that baiting? Here in NC, we aren't restricted and have been fortunate not to have CWD. I'm not sure baiting is the reason for CWD. I believe that is what State Biologist have sold the hunting public.
I believe the law says 2 gallons, but I have seen 10 bushel piles "accidentally" spilled, piles of pumpkins, apples. A lot of people dont follow the law.

I don't understand what you guys are talking about baiting. Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that you can only put out 1 gallon of bait at a time. You call that baiting?
Exactly. The 2 gallon limit per 40 acres was a half a$$ political compromise between baiting and not baiting. Not well thought out, difficult to enforce, done per county, as long as CWD was not found within 10 miles of any county. Maybe 1/3 of Wisconsin is still ok to bait today. 4 pages of regulations just to keep baiting alive for those that can't shoot deer without it. It would be simple to just eliminate bating state wide .... but no Wisconsin politician has the stones, or common sense to do it. I wonder how neighboring states like Illinois and Iowa some how manage to harvest deer without baiting?
Here in NC, we aren't restricted and have been fortunate not to have CWD. I'm not sure baiting is the reason for CWD. I believe that is what State Biologist have sold the hunting public.
Baiting does not cause CWD .... but bait piles are major vector for spreading disease via surfaces contaminated with infected saliva and other body fluids. This is why CWD contaminated deer farms have had high infection rates. It is just basic disease transmission, CWD, TB, ect. Anytime you can minimize population concentration points you can slow the increase and spread of any pathogen.

Last edited:
In my home state of AR, in the cwd zones, you may not “supplemental feed” outside of deer season - but you are allowed to “bait” during deer season. The idea is to make it easier to kill more deer, reducing density - and theoretically, the spread of the disease.

I have 28 mature apple trees on my land. They drop their apples on the ground. Please explain to me the difference between the apples falling on the ground and a person who puts out a 5 gallon bucket of apples.