Need something to grow fast starting Aug 1

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I have a four acre foodplot that has had some construction activity around it all spring and summer preventing me from planting anything this year. It has brassicas in it last fall. I will be able to plant it this fall. It will have brassica section and a cover -oats-rye section. It is hidden from all roads. I normally divide the field in sections by planting a few rows of corn.. This year, I am looking to plant something that will grow quickly and provide a screen from section to section so the deer can't see the other deer in other sections. What do you recommend?

and you live where? Florida? Maine? if you update your signature for location more can help.

Southern Ohio.

Sorghum Sudan Grass.

Or you can spend twice as much and buy Egyptian Wheat!

sun hemp is a possible option as well, 6 feet tall in 60 days, that is if the deer let it get that tall.

SunnHemphomepage-web1.jpeg

no black heleo's

I would agree with Mo, a fast maturing hybrid sorghum/sudan grass would likely be your best bet, and cheaper and more readily available than sunn hemp.

I would prefer to stay away from sun hemp we have too much of the real hemp in the county. I would attract some idiot for a bust for sure! I don't want to have to explain the difference to our local Barney.

U can plant as soon as August 1st? I don't think u will get enough height to screen. My Egyptian wheat and sorghum only grew 16"s in June. July is the month it really grows. To me, You'll have august, but than its September, and u won't see much, if any growth once it starts cooling down.
I'd personally not plant a food plot if your that worried about screening, of have a food plot without a screen like we used to do in the old days.

U can plant as soon as August 1st? I don't think u will get enough height to screen. My Egyptian wheat and sorghum only grew 16"s in June. July is the month it really grows. To me, You'll have august, but than its September, and u won't see much, if any growth once it starts cooling down.
I'd personally not plant a food plot if your that worried about screening, of have a food plot without a screen like we used to do in the old days.

I don't need an 8 foot screen. I probably only need 3 feet. In southern Ohio it will be real hot the entire month of September. Many years we don't plant legumes until Labor Day. So I should be okay with Sudan Grass as suggested. I don't have to have a screen it just makes the hunting in that plot a lot better.