Native Nurseries Wild Crab apple

ToddG

5 year old buck +
I have 9 of the above trees that are starting on their third year. They are 10 ft tall and look great. They haven't produced fruit yet and I was wondering what I could expect. Do you think they will be like ornamental crabs? I am hoping they will have some benefit to the deer. They have shown no sign of disease except for one that had rust this past spring. Any one had any luck with these?
Thanks,

I can't speak to their particular trees. I presume they were bare root trees. It typically takes about 3 years for a bare root tree to really take off after planting. I started to play around with apples last year, crabs and DR domestic. My latest project is here: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/next-apple-project.6373/

My experience from last year is here: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/apple-planning-phase-transfered-from-old-forum.5536/

My goal is low long-term maintenance. Post some pics when you get a chance!

Thanks,

Jack

You could get something good for deer but at the same time you may get an ornamental crab. They simply grow them from seed so it a gamble as to what you end up with. If they end up being something you don't want you can graft them later on.

I planted 20 of them in 2012. They are disease free and are spitting out small 1" red TART and inedible (for people) apples but the deer eat them up.

I planted 20 of them in 2012. They are disease free and are spitting out small 1" red TART and inedible (for people) apples but the deer eat them up.
Thanks. This gives me some hope.

Thanks. This gives me some hope.
They weren't really sure what rootstock they were on when I asked, I think they might have been whips grown from seed (I was new to apples at the time, I didn't notice a graft Union but I might not have recognized one if I saw it), they said maybe mm111 when I called a year later to ask.
Anyway, they grew like weeds and are spitting out apples so I'm pretty happy with them especially given they were only like $5.99 each.
I have converted many of the branches of them to grafted varieties but the tops and higher branches are wild crab.
Hang in there and hopefully your will follow suit.

Here are a few pictures of the crab apples I planted from Native Nursery in fall 2014. They were about 18" tall when planted. I couldn't believe how fast they grew.

025.jpg 025.jpg 026.jpg

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 11