My Stump Project

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Well, I made the call today. There is a fella down the road that has the equipment to get it done. We're gonna meet in a couple weeks when i'm up there to plant trees. Current idea is to just pop them out with a backhoe and come behind with a skid steer and fill the holes back in.

If I can pull this off in early May, here's the layout for the rest of the plan over the next two growing seasons:

Plant cowpeas and oats on memorial day.
Roll the plot flat on labor day and plant rye.
Spring '15, broadcast sorghum then roll down the rye at soft dough stage.

I'm so nervous and excited, I could puke.

They should be able to backfill the with the backhoe. How big of an area is it?

Roughly an acre, maybe a hair more. 35 stumps total. Most are 12" or less.

12" or less, you could pull them out with a decent sized tractor. You'll have no prob. Getting the job done the way you are doing it. How much is he charging you?

Don't know yet. We agreed to talk specifics when I get up there. He wanted to talk to some guys in the biz to see what a fair rate would be. I told him we should look at it before we make each other any promises. Good news is, he won't be farming yet when i'm up there. So I'm hoping we can shake hands and get wrecking the next day if it comes together.

Don't know yet. We agreed to talk specifics when I get up there. He wanted to talk to some guys in the biz to see what a fair rate would be. I told him we should look at it before we make each other any promises. Good news is, he won't be farming yet when i'm up there. So I'm hoping we can shake hands and get wrecking the next day if it comes together.
You won't need the skid steer. That is an easy job for a backhoe, it shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours.

You won't need the skid steer. That is an easy job for a backhoe, it shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours.

From your lips to God's ears. I hope you're right.

As long as it is clear other than the stumps he should be able to just back in and start popping.

It's pretty good. There may be a few minutes of cleaning up a few small logs and pushing some light brush outta the way, but otherwise, it's nice and open.

35 stumps stacked just right could make a nice ground blind/ ambush point. Note your prevailing wind direction during your chosen weapons season and stack accordingly.

Well I picked up my plots seed today. Going with a 50/50 mix of oats and berseem clover. I'll make the call on monday to see if I can get the guy over on tuesday to take a look and start yanking stumps.

Pictures, man pictures. Good luck destumpin.

Pictures, man pictures. Good luck destumpin.

I hope to be the first one to snap pics and upload them as they happen. I just have to figure out how to put 5S pics into folders.

35 stumps stacked just right could make a nice ground blind/ ambush point. Note your prevailing wind direction during your chosen weapons season and stack accordingly.
I shot my 188" in Iowa from a pile of stumps.