All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Letter To Marestail

Bill,

I was hoping that a couple years of 24D and the smother crop would get my marestail under control. I has helped immensely, it is still by farm the dominant weed in my summer plots. Since you've got some experience with Liberty and marestail is listed, I'm wondering if it makes sense for me to use it for burn down prior to spring planting of non-liberty-link crops like my buckwheat and sunn hemp. I'm not ready to go back to soybeans or the cost of liberty-link beans. They are just too attractive for my situation and deer have been doing well with my buckwheat sunn hemp mix. This year I upped the rates and added milo.

Does liberty herbicide have a ground residual effect like 24D that requires a wait period before planting? I'm considering using it next year.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack,
It has no residual in the ground.
So it will smoke the marestail that has emerged but none laying in wait.

I actually did what your proposing before planting brassicas last fall.

Jack,
It has no residual in the ground.
So it will smoke the marestail that has emerged but none laying in wait.

I actually did what your proposing before planting brassicas last fall.
Great! Thanks!

Wow! I just looked at the price! Looks like $14.5/ac for marestail. Gly, bought in 2.5 gal jugs is about $8/ac for burn down but doesn't help with Marestail. Gly is even cheaper in 30 gal drums. I still plan to give it a try next year.

Wow! I just looked at the price! Looks like $14.5/ac for marestail. Gly, bought in 2.5 gal jugs is about $8/ac for burn down but doesn't help with Marestail. Gly is even cheaper in 30 gal drums. I still plan to give it a try next year.

when that marestail is turning brown, bent over and gasping. You won’t even think about that $6.50/acre.
You’ll be saying “Take that”!

I mix either ignite or innerline with my gly and it kills everything

I mix either ignite or innerline with my gly and it kills everything

What are these products? I don’t have a resistance problem but wouldn’t mind adding something either to ensure I don’t develop one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would also add all things/types bermuda ( common,coastal,etc)......

bill

What are these products? I don’t have a resistance problem but wouldn’t mind adding something either to ensure I don’t develop one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glufosinate-ammonium is the active ingredient in the next GMO/Herbicide combination successor to Roundup-Ready crops. It was developed by Monsanto now now owned by Bayer. They always knew weeds would develop a resistance to Glyphosate eventually so they were working on a successor combination. The new brand name is Liberty-Link. The system is intended to be used like Gly/RR where you can spray both pre and post emergent on Liberty-Link crops. It has a similar mode of action requiring contact with actively growing green weeds. Like most herbicides it is most effective when weeds are young. Because it is chemically different than gly, there will be a different set of weeds that have a natural resistance like Marestail is naturally resistant to gly. Like gly, over time, I would suspect there weeds that are now very susceptible to it will eventually become resistant.

The cost of both the herbicide (on a per acre basis) and the Liberty-Link seed is significantly higher than Roundup Ready and Glyphosate, but they are more effective. The question for the deer manager is whether the higher cost is worth it. It is probably a slam-dunk for the GMO farmer where yield is king. That is not true for the deer manager or food plotter. For us, it is "Sufficient Yield" not "Maximum Yield", and many weeds are great deer food and are actually part of our yield. The answer will vary and depend on the individual situation for deer managers. For me, using the Liberty-Link system is clearly not worth it. The cost of both herbicide and GMO seed does not add sufficient value to my operation. My interest in the possible use of it for pre-planting burn down only. That is why I'm taking a deep dive right now. Using it only for burn-down for my specific weed problem (Marestail), and planting conventional crops is my primary interest. The burn-down cost per/acre is significantly more expensive, there it is a single application per year for me and there are no higher seed cost and no post-emergent application.

The following is a list of brand names I found all containing 24.5% Glufosinate-ammonium. They may be labeled slightly differently as to where they can be applied.
  • Willowood Glufosinate 280SL
  • Willowood Glufosinate 280SL (OT)
  • Liberty® 280 SL
  • Ignite® 280 SL
  • Rely® 280
  • Cheetah® Herbicide
  • Leopard™ Herbicide