My Land Tour...The Big Woods

I'll be doing some shrub planting in my NWSG field and was wondering how long it took you to get those ROD established as well as any other shrubs you have in there. Obviously some depends on the deer browse, but I'm planning to start mine in a cage with a weed mat and hope they get a good jump in the first few years. Yours look great!

I planted mine around maybe five or six years ago no protection and they were the size of pencils. We initially put in over a thousand shrubs so it just wasn’t practical to try and protect or baby them.
I am probably in one of the lowest deer density counties in Ohio, that said it seems like every deer in the county wanted to browse or beat up everything we planted.
ROD is definitely a preferred deer food, with protection and weed suppression yours should take off great. I would think once established you could easily expect a couple of feet of growth a year.

Once the roots on ours got going good they were able to finally keep ahead of the deer, so ours probably took twice as long as they would have.

It’s nice now being able to take foot long clippings and just push them down into the spring mud to start new bushes. I’m doing that in spots to thicken the strips up and along the road in a long wet spot.

I've got a few pics to go with my crazy deer hunting story from gun week at the end of post #358

My wife's stand;
yBRh1D3.jpg

Veiw from stand;
DG3xaM7.jpg

zxBOhNX.jpg

How close my truck was behind me and the neighbors vehicles across Rd;
0torHRI.jpg

Deer that came out behind me...you can see the road in bottom of pic;
RkE8l3u.jpg

Deer twenty yards in front of neighbors vehicles standing in their lane;
rW8go8D.jpg

Some of the flood of deer that came out of our pasture right before dark;
uQY2d8j.jpg

GireIJn.jpg

Pics from the last three days solo hunting out at the farm with Darcy;

T6ykyar.jpg

aLBd4Tl.jpg

YUUdhUs.jpg

nNyMyzz.jpg

xsrkGK8.jpg

And a bonus;
f99jQ40.jpg

FD0BB94C-E9EE-43FF-BA01-686F4D7603E8.jpegIt rained like crazy most of the day, finally got a break in the weather so we ran out to the farm for a hunt and to walk off some of the wife’s great lunch.

Birds did not hold worth a crap and ran like crazy.
Did get one Christmas Day bird courtesy of Darcy not giving up.

Great pics, H20!! Good shootin' on the birds. Darcy looks right at home in the field. If I had to guess what pup contentment looks like - I'd say Darcy's showing it!! Darcy & a brace of pheasants, along with a field pic - magazine cover material.
I see all those fruit trees and spruce in cages are growing well. Only gonna get better too. Looks good there.

Great pics, H20!! Good shootin' on the birds. Darcy looks right at home in the field. If I had to guess what pup contentment looks like - I'd say Darcy's showing it!! Darcy & a brace of pheasants, along with a field pic - magazine cover material.
I see all those fruit trees and spruce in cages are growing well. Only gonna get better too. Looks good there.

Thanks Bows!

About the #1 thing I've learned....protect trees when they are young.

View attachment 39550It rained like crazy most of the day, finally got a break in the weather so we ran out to the farm for a hunt and to walk off some of the wife’s great lunch.

Birds did not hold worth a crap and ran like crazy.
Did get one Christmas Day bird courtesy of Darcy not giving up.

She really has turned out to be one of those special dogs..

She really has turned out to be one of those special dogs..

She sure has, I never imagined she would have turned out like she did.
Seems like yesterday she was a fat little puppy that whined all the time and was about scared of everything.
On a do-over I’m not sure I would have gotten her fixed, she sure has a lot of traits that would have been nice to pass on.

H20 - You get many birds using that ROD for thermal cover in the summer months? I'd like to plant some on our place, very neat shrub. Good to know I need to protect them from Deer browse..

H20 - You get many birds using that ROD for thermal cover in the summer months? I'd like to plant some on our place, very neat shrub. Good to know I need to protect them from Deer browse..
I don't know about thermal cover use in summer but a lot of different birds nest in them and eat the white berries. Pheasants sure use them as cover in fall/winter once they get thick, part of good edge cover for a lot of things..

This shows how thick the ROD has gotten in the shrub strips to date. Very bushy, everywhere the deer nip it ends up branching and grows thicker. These were planted around seven years ago and the nicest are at least 6' tall and as wide, the worst maybe 2' tall but throwing good sprouts. The native grasses are so tall now I don't see the shrubs as much because they are in cover but they surprise me when I take a walk looking to see how well they have grown. Some of the strips have some blank spots in the rows from winter kill or animal abuse that I gradually am filling in with clippings or new shrubs...sooner or later I will have my old school fencerow looking edge around the pasture full of browse/fruit/nut trees&shrubs.

Some of the better ROD

Z8mjGxf.jpg

98QCqv2.jpg

One of the smaller same age..you can still see where tips are nipped off.

7gwtUz1.jpg

One of the pinoak that got ahead of the browsing then got beat down by a young buck.

0Lx9oO2.jpg

It has been full on winter here with a lot of below zero days and more snow than usual for our area.
The front pond with pasture behind.

3MtFKcB.jpg

The native grasses have stayed up pretty good which is surprising with the hard winds and snow we have gotten. Plenty of deer beds out in the field.

Sda3FB7.jpg

Yesterday I got together with two of my oldest friends for our annual bunny hunt, we have known and hunted together for around forty years. We use small bore shotguns for the hunt being that it isn't a volume hunt, it is a fun hunt and with a beagle. My buddies use 410's and I carry a single shot 20.
We normally start out at my buddies farm hunting a small woods he has then shift over to my farms. This buddy coyote hunts in winter like it is his job, he has a group of guys he chases them with dogs. I have gone along with them many times and it can be pretty exciting.

My other buddy lives about an hour away and has a beagle (Sadie) that is pretty good. The funny thing about her is the way she barks when chasing bunnies....not the " ARK..ARK..ARK.." sound that most beagle have hers is a Yosemite Sam angry "AUROOKGRRR..EROOKGRRR..YEOOOKGRRRR..." like she is mad at them that makes me belly laugh out loud every time she is running a bunny. And she is slow enough that the rabbits don't really take her very serious and are usually a good fifty yards ahead of her loping along at an easy pace.

It is around 15 degrees and really windy when we start out at my other buddies small five acre woods that is really thick and usually has a few bunnies in it, about five minutes in we start a rabbit and Sadie starts the chase making her funny growling bark.

About this time my buddy that owns the woods says something about a coyote and starts running for the truck...hits a log and falls flat on his face....hard. We of course laugh at him and wonder what the hell is going on. He gets up still babbling something about a coyote but we cant quite make it out....he jumps in the truck (owned by my other buddy) and takes off across the field to his truck.

Sadie...still bark growling circles the bunny around and I shoot it, we are gutting it when my buddy who has gone crazy comes flying up in his truck yelling "get in, get in"...so we scoop Sadie up and jump in with him.

Apparently while we were walking through the woods a coyote jumped on my buddies side and ran north followed by another inducing his panic and mad dash...his truck which is loaded for coyote running and that has a radio is what he had to get to so fast to call his posse of yote hunters over from wherever they all were looking for tracks. Well within ten minute trucks had circled the block and these two coyotes were running down the middle of the section.
My buddy gives me a 12ga some buck shot a radio and drops me off along a creek and tells me to hurry down to some post a half mile away then takes off with other buddy dropping him off around the block doing same. I was glad I was dressed warm out in the open with the wind....the coyotes came by me about 200 yards away..too far. But I did get a good look at them, one was big with a messed up tail and a cool white patch on his chest, the other trailing it was just a standard looking yote. After a while I hear three shots and turn on the radio from the chatter sounded like someone had gotten one and I was to walk back to the road to be picked up.
So the yote that was still on the move jumped to the next section...repeat of first scenario.

By now my buddy was back to normal and very pleased with the result so back to bunny hunting we went.

okxDdTq.jpg

We hunted out the original spot jumping a couple more rabbits giving Sadie a nice run then went over to the Little Woods and really put her to work. Seemed like every time she got a bunny started she would flush another which is typical for that woods. It had to be confusing for her the amount of bunnies that were in there and the crossing scent trails...from there we went to the Big woods and jumped a few more.

All in all I would say we started over twenty rabbits, got in a lot of walking, some good conversation, great tailgate snacks and had a blast.

Our total for the morning was two coyotes, seven bunnies and a truck load of good time.

see2LMl.jpg

What an awesome story with great memories!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

34CEEDE2-CE29-4502-AC1D-8758B2A5F3C1.jpegEE9092CC-E614-4BA2-A067-67038AF29752.jpeg385D30A0-BA05-4EEF-B177-123ACDAC34DA.jpegF2AE3E3E-9D28-41CF-95A4-33B65CE252CE.jpeg8F4A7419-B9BC-47C5-BE35-1E68BA82A8DB.jpeg

The pear trees in the orchard are all blooming, apple trees just leafing out.
We are due to have some nighttime temps in the low thirties this week so that might not be good for a nice pear crop.

The road screen of $5-$10 ugly trees we planted a few years ago is still growing good and thickening up good like planned.

55A753DB-E6D0-4B4B-8FA4-0A4E08D24B22.jpeg3EBE1EFD-8AE1-4695-B349-B0151C3D2E36.jpegCC3F4E9C-1CC6-4451-BF5B-10B1BD04DD58.png

They wife and I were taking a walk at the farm today kind of looking for shrooms and we noticed a hen hoody with two chicks swimming around on the back pond.
We hung back , she swam over to the nest box and chicks started pouring out!
I’ve never been lucky enough to witness jump day with wood ducks or hooded mergansers..it was all over in seconds. Not sure how many jumped out 8-9 I think.
And I caught most of it on video!

Looks like a Merganser. Wow I feel like our birds up here are just settling in the boxes! Thats really neat to witness!

Your Pear trees look amazing. What kind are they? Im going to plant a few.

Looks like a Merganser. Wow I feel like our birds up here are just settling in the boxes! Thats really neat to witness!

Your Pear trees look amazing. What kind are they? Im going to plant a few.

Thanks!
I’ve got four or five keiffer and some keiffer variants from wildlife group.
Also;
seckle/Ayers/moonglow/bartlett/olympic/Chapin/
beurre bosc/shenandoa/honey sweet and some Stark varieties.

Went out to the farm to plant some millet today and took a quick look around to see how things were doing.

The shrub strips are filling in, grass hasn't jumped up yet so can really see them now that they are leafed out.
j01I7vf.jpg

Some wildflowers to keep the bees happy, have added supers to all four hives this spring.
exHwAOZ.jpg

tRf334K.jpg

ULE7Htc.jpg

A look at the orchard all leafed out, all have been putting on really good growth..6" plus on about everything already.
7iJufJK.jpg

fDrjUlz.jpg

cPE71XG.jpg

a31O5Y2.jpg

And most of the older trees seem to be loaded this year...fingers crossed!
jYkPf68.jpg

Z6z53nH.jpg

kmZAExr.jpg

VmdxYc9.jpg

vdjNsyP.jpg

Looking good, H20. The lavender flowers in the 4th pic of post #377 - are they a wildflower that comes up for you every year?? We have similar here - I believe they're called "Dame's Rocket." They produce varying shades from purple to white & pinkish / lavender. Big draw for pollinators here. Those other flowers look great too. We NEED POLLINATORS - big-time - everywhere. We try to cater to them at our camp & at home.

Have you gotten any amount of honey from your bees?? It seems more people are starting honeybee hives around here ....... a good thing to see. Baby ducks = cool !!!!!

Looking good, H20. The lavender flowers in the 4th pic of post #377 - are they a wildflower that comes up for you every year?? We have similar here - I believe they're called "Dame's Rocket." They produce varying shades from purple to white & pinkish / lavender. Big draw for pollinators here. Those other flowers look great too. We NEED POLLINATORS - big-time - everywhere. We try to cater to them at our camp & at home.

Have you gotten any amount of honey from your bees?? It seems more people are starting honeybee hives around here ....... a good thing to see. Baby ducks = cool !!!!!

Yes those come up every year, we also have the different shades of purple to pink and white...they only last a few weeks.
Have been messing around with the bees for around 4-5 years now, about every other year is a bumper crop of honey with us getting hundreds of pounds. We pretty much give it all away to friends and relatives. The bees are doing great this year even though it has been kind off dry, have added supers to all the hives at both farms and split a few.

Nice having your own honey supply! Sounds like you have plenty.