My farm - Where the name "Big Rock" came from.

Is the a Bavarian mountain hound that guys working with?

It sure is. According to the tracker guy there are only something like 300 of them in the US. He imported a couple over the years. One from Poland and one from somewhere else if memory serves.

I honestly didn't even know if using a dog was legal in WI. Found out it is. Dog must be on a lead and no weapons while tracking. I get the rules and don't disagree with them. But if I could have had a weapon on the track I would have a shoulder mount of that buck.

-John

It sure is. According to the tracker guy there are only something like 300 of them in the US. He imported a couple over the years. One from Poland and one from somewhere else if memory serves.

I honestly didn't even know if using a dog was legal in WI. Found out it is. Dog must be on a lead and no weapons while tracking. I get the rules and don't disagree with them. But if I could have had a weapon on the track I would have a shoulder mount of that buck.

-John
I just started tracking last year and I’m planning to get a Bavarian as my tracking dog (current dog is not well suited to tracking on lead). We have the same rules here in MO: track on lead only and no weapons. I agree with the tracking on lead part, I disagree with no one carrying a firearm. I get the “intent” but disagree with the actual outcome of the law. It’s extraordinarily dangerous to try and finish off a wounded whitetail with a knife. Many states at least allow the handler to carry a firearm.

I've always wanted to try to establish Mugo pines on my farm. Not the little ones you see in landscapes, I want big ones. In researching them, they are highly variable in growth habit and very cold tolerant. So unless they are grafted, they are likely to turn out to be just about any size possible. From 5 gallon bucket size to the size of a small car. I'm hoping the ones I found end up very large as I believe they will be great bedding/thermal cover. Here is an example of what I hope they turn into:

Example.JPG

I'm starting these in smaller rootmaker containers and will upgrade them to larger containers before they go out in the wild. I will probably grow them for 2 or 3 years depending on how they grow:

Rootmaker.jpg

They were started in smooth walled pots, no big surprise they were root bound and ready for a move:
Root Ball.jpg
Long Roots.jpg

I'm starting them in soilless mix to keep the air content high in the container:
Plant - pot - soil.jpg
Filling soil.jpg

After filling them, I soaked them in a bucket to get them good and wet:
Soak in a bucket.jpg

Now they get to spend the winter in the shed, I'll move them outside in spring:
Finished.jpg

Who knows what I'll get, but it's always fun to try!

-John

Where did you hunt in Missouri?

Where did you hunt in Missouri?

North Central - not too far from Iowa. A friend invites us down for a youth hunt every year. I think Jake is batting about 75%, and when he didn't get one it's because he passed too many up!

-John