My Central Ky Habitat Addiction

Started mowing them this weekend. Looking great so far!!!

Started mowing my oak tree plantations this weekend. Very happy with the livability so far

2390A60F-1A93-46DF-8048-AE22B5662A61.jpg

FCBCB309-BC94-4375-B0D0-84E5DF7839D9.jpg

48A1AAA5-ECB6-4B17-B0EA-7B33424E3AF4.jpg

Got another Planting confirmed recently to add over 5000 more to 9 acres of crop bottoms through the USDA CRP " CP-22" program

Well, looks like Photobucket had pretty much ruined my habitat thread here as I'm sure you did some of your all's!!!

A new position at work has really pulled me away from the farm this year, what little time I have had has been spent mowing tree rows.

I will try to do somewhat of a quick update and maybe get myself turned back up !!!

A few food plots:

The progression of my Sorghum & Sunflower plot. Of course everyone is wanting to chop it down next month and shoot doves. Inactually planted it to leave standing for winter food and cover for all the game though .IMG_0555.JPGIMG_0724.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0869.JPG IMG_0925.JPG

A few of the other plots we finally got time to do. The most special part is the fact that I have my son on the UTV and walking behind a spreader this year.

IMG_0785.JPG IMG_0786.JPG IMG_0780.JPG IMG_0783.JPG IMG_0787.JPG

Some game pics :

This is one of my favorites, I've been leaving some strips of native vegetation through my plots for food & cover and the deer are loving them .
IMG_0835.JPG
IMG_0841.JPG IMG_0847.JPG IMG_0850.JPG IMG_0852.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG IMG_0909.JPG IMG_0910.JPG

Young Turkey flying out of the beans

IMG_0933.JPG IMG_0935.JPG

Lastly , my wife makes tons of fun of me but here are my favorite parts. The diversity of plants and color . Took most of these pics while mowing my tree rows out.

IMG_0919.JPG IMG_0918.JPG IMG_0920.JPG IMG_0921.JPG IMG_0922.JPG

Looks like a lot going on there! Love the pictures of your son! Nothing is cooler than being just like dad!

Great place you have there and some fine bucks! Keep up the good work!

You always accomplish an amazing amount of habitat work. With that good help, I can see why.

You already have some great deer. I can't imagine how its going to be when all those trees you have set start dropping goodies.

You always accomplish an amazing amount of habitat work. With that good help, I can see why.

You already have some great deer. I can't imagine how its going to be when all those trees you have set start dropping goodies.

You are correct Steve. It's kind of tough at times because my brother does not necessarily share my vision on the tree side of things. He could care less if a tree ever gets planted but acts like he is aggravated if I want to cull out some 15 inch maple trees here and there !!!
This last treeplanting that I am in the stages of preparing for now was a tough sell to him. I am planting 8 acres of cropland Into a Riparian Buffer with another 5000 tree planting . He was not going for it at first and I finally just told him I would rent the ground if that's what it took. I took him to the bottom and explained my vision 20 years down the road of what that bottom could look like and that it would provide something for our children that they could not buy anywhere else !!! I think when he seen the sparkle in my eyes he finally decided to agree !!!! It has been a ton of work for me the last few years and is going to be for the next 3 to 5 years and I am doing it alone but I am very passionate about the vision I hold and want to see it through .

That vision has also led me to refinance my home and all my debt into a really really short note with hopes that in the next 5 to 7 years I can make a move and hopefully buy a 200 acre farm that borders ours and make it a place for my children to take what I have taught them and do with it as they please . Plans are hard to see through these days though so we will see how it goes

I as always appreciate the guidance and leadership that you guys provide for me in this area of my life . To this point in my life the Lord has blessed me way beyond belief and definitely more than I have deserved

Last edited:
You are correct Steve. It's kind of tough at times because my brother does not necessarily share my vision on the tree side of things. He could care less if a tree ever gets planted but acts like he is aggravated if I want to cull out some 15 inch maple trees here and there !!!
This last treeplanting that I am in the stages of preparing for now was a tough sell to him. I am planting 8 acres of cropland Into a Riparian Buffer with another 5000 tree planting . He was not going for it at first and I finally just told him I would rent the ground if that's what it took. I took him to the bottom and explained my vision 20 years down the road of what that bottom could look like and that it would provide something for our children that they could not buy anywhere else !!! I think when he seen the sparkle in my eyes he finally decided to agree !!!! It has been a ton of work for me the last few years and is going to be for the next 3 to 5 years and I am doing it alone but I am very passionate about the vision I hold and want to see it through .

That vision has also led me to refinance my home and all my debt into a really really short note with hopes that in the next 5 to 7 years I can make a move and hopefully buy a 200 acre farm that borders ours and make it a place for my children to take what I have taught them and do with it as they please . Plans are hard to see through these days though so we will see how it goes

I as always I appreciate the guidance and leadership that you guys provide for me in this area of my life . To this point in my life the Lord has blessed me way beyond belief and definitely more than I have deserved

You have a vision Lance. And, "...where there is no vision the people perish...." Keep up the good work. I will be cheering you on for as long as I'm around.

Great pics and work! My sons, but especially my youngest, love to help out with the "farming" we do to for the wildlife. Very well done!

Just got in this afternoon from our 3rd Annual Taking Kids Outdoors Youth Camp!! The Group and I hosted just under 70 kids for our biggest event ever !!! If you guys get a chance check out our Facebook page to see what we have going on. It's an awesome group !! PLEASE LIKE & SHARE!!!

https://m.facebook.com/Takingkidsoutdoors/?ref=bookmarks

IMG_1088.PNG

After camp I took my oldest son to the farm to run a few cameras and check out plots . Staying away from that spot that my target buck is staying at but had a few other decent pics :

IMG_1074.JPG IMG_1076.JPG

His target buck so far, would be his first buck.

IMG_1084.JPG

Last edited:
Very cool! You're a great role model. Always like tagging along on your threads.

The diversity that nature continues to add every year amazes me!! Birds and insects are more abundant than ever. And when I pull in to this waiting for me at the cabin I know I'm on the right track.

IMG_1308.JPG IMG_1310.JPG IMG_1311.JPG IMG_1312.JPG IMG_1313.JPG