Most productive apple verities

Cortland, enterprise and Liberty have been reliable for us. Same with Chestnut, Centennial and Meadows crab. I’m going to try and top work my Honeycrisp to a chestnut crab this spring. Also going to top work my Pristine to Enterprise. I’m really impressed with our Enterprise tree the past 3 years.

Is the issue with Pristine just drop time? I have a couple young ones I grafted myself that are a couple years from fruit.

^^^ Funny, was just going to post that everything is so situational. Some earlier posts on Enterprise and now another one. My situation is this might be better for more vigorous rootstocks and better soils. Had two smallish apples between two trees over 7th leaf on likely M7 roots. Actually that was summer before, late frost this year. Sandyish soil on a hillside probably not helping. However crabapples, several listed above in same general area produce well and consistent. Crabs kick butt over the semi dwarf homeowner oriented trees. One that does fair however is honey gold. Does have flyspeck and sooty blotch by me

So true on each situation being somewhat different. CAR has minimal effect in my location, but that is certainly not the case for guys like Native Hunter. Here, my focus is has shifted to finding the rootstocks that likes my soil and will build a bear-resist tree (P-18 and M.111). I have a few go-to “normal” apples I am going continue plant, but the bulk of any new plantings will be crabs – Kerr, Wickson, Chestnut and proprietary ones from Blue Hill and NWC.

Has anyone had high production from Kinderkrisp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes , nice numbers of coarse size is some smaller ,love the apple here does fairly well not real biennial , seems to crop every year with out thinning all around nice tree , excellent fruit also

Up and coming new from UofM ,, this should be a great tree for wildlife (triumph ) Honeycrisp X liberty ,, fruiting time late sept zone 4 minnesota , very low spray , no dieses ,, University talking it up as great for organic growers that dieses resistant ,, no club contracts , i think cummins had some , probably more coming next year ,, search them out for 2023 ,, should be easier fruiting than honeycrisp and very close in quality

Last edited:
Yes , nice numbers of coarse size is some smaller ,love the apple here does fairly well not real biennial , seems to crop every year with out thinning all around nice tree , excellent fruit also

Up and coming new from UofM ,, this should be a great tree for wildlife (triumph ) Honeycrisp X liberty ,, fruiting time late sept zone 4 minnesota , very low spray , no dieses ,, University talking it up as great for organic growers that dieses resistant ,, no club contracts , i think cummins had some , probably more coming next year ,, search them out for 2023 ,, should be easier fruiting than honeycrisp and very close in quality

What is the fruit size of triumph?

I like Kinderkrisp for taste. So far I have not gotten high production. I have it on dolgo seedlings.

I also have a couple of OP seedlings of KK.

Cummins does list it for 2023 under the name MN1980. It has piqued my interest as well.

What is the fruit size of triumph?

I like Kinderkrisp for taste. So far I have not gotten high production. I have it on dolgo seedlings.

I also have a couple of OP seedlings of KK.

Fruit size on Triumph should be large honeycrisp sized if not over fruited both parents have large fruit ,, kindercrisp we have trees about 7 years old now and yield near half bu per tree , kindercrisp is an apple that can use a little longer hang for full flavor sugars go off the charts here if left till late sept mn zone 4

Triumph will be good we put in 200 spring 2021 ,, on bud 9 with support

How hardy is this Triumph? Will it survive to zone 3/3b? When does it bloom?

Gurney's also sells Triumph. I believe their Standard size is on M111 rootstock. They list it as zone 4 hardy.

Honeycrisp can be tough everyone loves em unless you grow um hard tree to get right , they grow slow on dwarf roots runt out and sit there , we plant them on semi dwarf roots and plant high density and prune to control size still struggle
I bought a honeycrisp from a local conservation district. I was really impressed with it. really nice structure and roots. Unfortunately it was before I was a member of this site and I planted near a neighbor's spruce tree. He has since cut it down because it was 90% dead. It had some CAR on it last year but not too bad. Got a handful of apples on it in only it's second year. They were kind of ugly but tasted good.

How hardy is this Triumph? Will it survive to zone 3/3b? When does it bloom?
i would not depend on it to zone 3 ,, later bloomer by a week here

Can’t wait until I can contribute to these type of threads. I’ve got over 3000 cedars on My property and just the last couple years started apples. Trying my best to research and choose CAR resistant varieties.

Can’t wait until I can contribute to these type of threads. I’ve got over 3000 cedars on My property and just the last couple years started apples. Trying my best to research and choose CAR resistant varieties.
Liberty
Enterprise
Williams Pride
Redfree
Freedom
Macintosh
Red Delicious

I have all these and can vouch for their resistance for the last 20 years.

I planted Sundance along with a bunch of other verities last spring and would say it’s probably GTG and a vigorous grower. I’m reserving my opinion on the rest until I’ve had more time to evaluate them.

Liberty
Enterprise
Williams Pride
Redfree
Freedom
Macintosh
Red Delicious

I have all these and can vouch for their resistance for the last 20 years.

I planted Sundance along with a bunch of other verities last spring and would say it’s probably GTG and a vigorous grower. I’m reserving my opinion on the rest until I’ve had more time to evaluate them.

I think you had posted that list.on one of my threads earlier. I got them all ordered except for the Williams pride.

Williams Pride is a good apple but very early.

Just ordered the following from wildlife group after speaking with Allen

Carter's Blue,Cauley,Enterprise,Liberty, Little Benny

Anyone have experience with these?

bill

Just ordered the following from wildlife group after speaking with Allen

Carter's Blue,Cauley,Enterprise,Liberty, Little Benny

Anyone have experience with these?

bill
Liberty and Enterprise are disease resistant Enterprise is latter dropping and probably better for deer hunting.

Just got my trees from WG into the ground this weekend( From post# 55)

excellent root system on there bare root trees

And this time ,they labeled the trees!!

bill

Every time someone asks this I have the same answer. Kerr remains my number one option for all things that matter. No spray needed. Good luck finding some.

Every time someone asks this I have the same answer. Kerr remains my number one option for all things that matter. No spray needed. Good luck finding some.
How is Kerr with Cedar apple rust?