Morels 2021

Keep the reports coming, they are getting closer to me!
Found about 30,almost all under one tree. South East WI. They were not comming up yet in other spots. Left a lot of small ones.That was last Thursday.

Smacked em pretty good in the driftless region of Wisconsin.

Attachments

• DE937007-C315-4FCC-AB6B-A0FFB8AE98E6.jpeg
    DE937007-C315-4FCC-AB6B-A0FFB8AE98E6.jpeg
    267 KB · Views: 17
Wife and are are heading north on a road trip next weekend to look for them.
Hopefully I can find some new grouse spots too.

My buddy checked one of my spots thursday when he was out and I wasn't. Said it was all stumps...

And this isn't on the property line. This is a couple hundred yards in.

A holes.......

Normally we find morels and pretty much eat them within a day or two as we find them and when we have really good days picking share some with close friends.
Then there are times when we really get into them, last year and this year have been that way. Last year we tried air tight freezing some of them…most turned out a little mushy after cooking.
This year being an exceptional year we have been dehydrating quite a few to use later, hopefully they perk back up with a little water in a few months.

Question; how do you guys store them and save them for future use a few months after picking?

Do you have to prepare or cook dehydrated ones differently?

Normally we find morels and pretty much eat them within a day or two as we find them and when we have really good days picking share some with close friends.
Then there are times when we really get into them, last year and this year have been that way. Last year we tried air tight freezing some of them…most turned out a little mushy after cooking.
This year being an exceptional year we have been dehydrating quite a few to use later, hopefully they perk back up with a little water in a few months.

Question; how do you guys store them and save them for future use a few months after picking?

Do you have to prepare or cook dehydrated ones differently?
Prepare the mushrooms as you would normally, rinse off with cold water, flour salt and pepper. Place the floured mushrooms on a cookie sheet. Place the mushrooms in a freezer. Next day, slide the mushrooms off the sheet with a spatula into a ziplock bag and put back in the freezer. When ready to eat, place the frozen mushrooms in the fryer and enjoy.

I have had good luck frying them about 2/3 of the way done in a fryer, taking them out and putting on wax paper (they should be slightly less golden brown than they would normally be if they were cooked all the way). Then, slide them into a ziplock bag and get as much air out of it as you can (could also try to vacuum seal) and freeze them. Once you are ready to eat them, preheat oven to 400-425 and then cook them the rest of the way (around 5 minutes or so). They are almost as good as if cooked fresh, and could probably keep in the freezer for up to 6 months or so.

I blanch mine for about a minute and then put them on a cookie sheet and freeze like the previous replays. As for the dehydrated morels, just soak them in water for at least 15 minutes to rehydrate. Then drain and squeeze some of the water back out. Cook just like they are fresh.

01BB4A61-5F58-4880-917F-4F2A0A25E259.jpeg

Just stumbled into this place….

we are getting rain today... been super dry so hoping we will get a late pop up of them now