MN CWD Hunt

6th positive result now found. Sounds like it was 5 deer shot in very close proximity, and 1 about 5 miles away. Landowner' hunt started a couple days ago and the use of rifles is now allowed (was slug guns, muzzy, pistol, archery) with no limits on number of deer killed for those landowners.

How dumb

It would be nice if there was a home test kit that was easy to use and accurate.

What would be smarter? Not allowing landowners to protect their land from diseased state property?

What would be smarter? Not allowing landowners to protect their land from diseased state property?
Jameson how can the DNR possibly eradicate this disease when there are large blocks of landowners in the CWD zone that will allow no hunting or shooting of any sort? The DNR says they want a random sample to estimate the prevalence of the disease within the population. That sample is nowhere near random given that they cannot get data throughout the entire geographic area of the zone. Yes sharpshooters will be able to kill a large number of deer, but if you have a block of 1000 to 2000 acres around the hotspot not allowing sampling, deer will remain on that land.

By the way where do you normally hunt in Minnesota?

I'm not sure I even understand your question. It is my understanding all cases of the disease have been found on private land. Yet the DNR has no problem blowing away 200 to 300 deer in Forrestville public land. Sounds like good logic and random sample to me.

You seem to be under the belief (likely due to DNR) that you can eradicate CWD. I am not under that delusion. History has shown that virtually all attempts to eradicate the disease have failed. Before you point to Pine Island I'll remind you that it has yet to be determined how CWD is now popping up in Preston. Additionally, I think it is hard for one to say Minnesota successfully eradicated the disease when it is now popping up a few years later. Even if they did successfully eradicate the disease in Pine Island, six positives is much different than one.

Sounds like the private landowners are taking a chapter out of what Wisconsin guys did. I know there were large areas(2000+ acres) of private landowners who refused to shoot deer because the DNR told them they needed to. The DNR said they would bring sharpshooters in and said if it came down to it, they would go to court so the sharpshooters could shoot deer on private property. Landowners stood up and basically said bring it but the DNR never did anything.

Jameson how can the DNR possibly eradicate this disease when there are large blocks of landowners in the CWD zone that will allow no hunting or shooting of any sort? The DNR says they want a random sample to estimate the prevalence of the disease within the population. That sample is nowhere near random given that they cannot get data throughout the entire geographic area of the zone. Yes sharpshooters will be able to kill a large number of deer, but if you have a block of 1000 to 2000 acres around the hotspot not allowing sampling, deer will remain on that land.

If that is the case and the DNR wants to pull deer in to be able to harvest them via sharp shooter, a few hundred bushels of corn will do it in short order.

Jameson how can the DNR possibly eradicate this disease when there are large blocks of landowners in the CWD zone that will allow no hunting or shooting of any sort?...

Don't know about eradication, don't care. Slowing the spread is the best we can hope for IMO.

Where do I normally hunt? Minnesota mostly, specifically it has changed over the years. Started darn near SD, near Ely for a few years, near WI and in WI, hunted Ripley for a few years, lately closer to the NW Twin Cities metro and metro park hunts. I generally hunt where there are deer able to be hunted, so stay away from the lottery/HC areas.

Many guys here have said or asked how you would feel if this was out your own front door. If it is out my front door then shoot them all. I don't want to be living among CWD deer, and I don't want to hunt CWD deer as I hunt for venison and would not eat any venison from a herd with a high infection rate.

Bringing in the hired guns next. Per the Strib: http://www.startribune.com/minnesot...shoot-more-deer-in-fillmore-county/412359073/

Minnesota to hire federal sharpshoots to shoot more deer in Fillmore County

By Tony Kennedy

January 31, 2017 — 7:54pm

Federal sharpshooters will be hired by the state of Minnesota to kill wild deer in a concentrated area around Lanesboro and Preston, Minn., where eight chronic wasting disease-infected (CWD) whitetails have been discovered by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

Lou Cornicelli, the DNR’s top big game researcher, said Tuesday the sharpshooters could go to work in the area by the third week in February to help eliminate a vexing outbreak of CWD.

In a herd reduction strategy kicked off in late December to respond to a single case of CWD, the DNR has marshaled area hunters and landowners for a supplemental harvest inside a zone that occupies most of Fillmore County. The animals must be dead to undergo testing for CWD, and two additional positive test results were disclosed Tuesday by the DNR. One of the two deer was shot by a hunter and one was found dead.

Cornicelli said seven of the CWD-infected deer were discovered in close proximity to each other between Preston and Lanesboro. The eighth CWD-positive deer, discovered previously, was shot 5 to 10 miles north, near the village of Bucksnort.

“It’s beginning to look like that one walked north’’ from the infected area, Cornicelli said.

The DNR set out to collect samples from 900 mature whitetails inside the disease management zone. On Tuesday, with the recent pace of the harvest lagging, the total kill for testing purposes stood at 776 deer. Sharpshooters should help bring the count to 900 once landowner shooting permits expire on Feb. 12, Cornicelli said.

He said the state’s contract with USDA sharpshooters will call for deep penetration in proximity to the disease cluster. The plan is to remove CWD-infected deer and thin the herd of additional healthy deer to stop the fatal brain disease from spreading.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says there is no strong evidence of CWD transmission to humans, but the health agency says people should avoid eating meat from deer and elk that look sick or that test positive for CWD.

Its up to 8 confirmed cases down there alone??? Plus the 2 by Brainerd and the one in Meeker county?

How many hunters that shot derr in Fillmore county have dumped their harvests in the trash by now? Or tossed it out on the back 40 for the critters to eat in fear they shot an infected deer?

Its up to 8 confirmed cases down there alone??? Plus the 2 by Brainerd and the one in Meeker county?

How many hunters that shot derr in Fillmore county have dumped their harvests in the trash by now? Or tossed it out on the back 40 for the critters to eat in fear they shot an infected deer?

Hopefully the two by Brainerd and one by Dassel are still confined to the pens.

I feel reducing herd numbers is about the best we can do. We might just as well test them while we reduce numbers in the infected areas of wild deer.

It is the only way to slow the spread and hopefully new knowledge on the disease will emerge.

The DNR should test the deer so they know what they are doing. You need to start somewhere.

Seems there is allot of unknowns about CWD and I'm still out on what we should do about it. I do know this, unless you kill off all the deer its statistically impossible to totally eliminate the disease. I believe the plan now is to kill 25% of the targeted herd which will not eliminate the disease but will show the public we are doing something about it.

...and most importantly will achieve the DNR's goal of herd reduction in that area

Strange the DNR didn't make the entire area Intensive or open for Early Anterless like the area to the east of this area if that has been the DNR's intention all along.

If the percentage of CWD positive stays at 1%, with 11,000 deer in the area, after harvesting approx 1000 animals, 10,000 remaining could have 100 positive infection numbers.

I feel reducing herd numbers is about the best we can do. We might just as well test them while we reduce numbers in the infected areas of wild deer.

It is the only way to slow the spread and hopefully new knowledge on the disease will emerge.
Hard to have money to study the disease when you're too busy paying sharpshooters, DNR staff, and animal testing bills currently.

Mortenson post #132.

Is a good article. 20% immune rate.

Additionally, I think if you look at what is going on in IL, the MN plan will do very little if anything to slow the spread. IL/WI have nearly the same number of counties with a CWD positive in wild deer. The MN DNR's plan may keep prevalences lower, but not distribution.