MN CWD Hunt

Mortenson post #132.

Is a good article. 20% immune rate.
Jameson take a read through that. Could be a bit of a refreshment from the MN DNR website.

If the percentage of CWD positive stays at 1%, with 11,000 deer in the area, after harvesting approx 1000 animals, 10,000 remaining could have 100 positive infection numbers.
At some point, Cornicelli will have to admit that we need to deal with the disease instead of eradicate it.

For those who oppose the present plan, please indicate what plan you feel the DNR should follow.

Feeding ban, drop all deer attractants (hunting or non hunting), give out a few more tags, drop APR. No post hunt culling. Spend money studying disease

Carcass movement restrictions as well

Mentioned by others, but another article stating the genetic resistance of some individual animals:

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...2/chronic-wasting-disease-prognosis/79199086/

I'd be all for spending money to do further study on this. Put 10 fences around an infected farm and see what happens over 10 years. Then try to ID the genetic markers that make some deer immune. I'd even be for introducing survivors into the wild if it were certain they weren't carriers and they had DNA making them immune.

All good suggestions!
I am not sure if I would trust the DNR to do study on the disease. More qualified people than those in our DNR should be doing the work.

Perhaps.... our DNR could participate in collecting samples.

They can sample every deer shot in zone 3 for all I care. I take issue with culling the population by the extent they are.

Edit: Shot/taken during regular hunting season.

Last edited:
With the ones found around Brainerd and in Meeker county, I sure as hell hope they are going to be doing checks on hunter harvested deer in those areas next fall too.

We went from little talk on CWD just a couple months ago to a topic thats on many peoples minds. Maybe the DNR should be doing spot checks statewide or at least expanding to other areas just to check things out.

I think shutting down game farms is a logical first step. It's argued all the time that they aren't the source of CWD, but they sure can spread it quickly. One MN farm had a cwd positive deer and they shipped a deer to a different farm in MN. Now the disease is on that farm too.

I'm fine with what the DNR is doing now, but I'll admit that I'll feel differently once the kill zone hits my property.

What will you do if they find some +s in your hunting area?

Say a few F bombs and kiss deer hunting completely good bye for the foreseeable future. What else is someone supposed to do? Nothing we can do to change it.

You guys are talking like there CWD is an area is the end of hunting. Plenty of people in the Wisconsin hot zone shooting deer and eating them. Sure you may have to take a few more precautions but it is not the end of the world.

Our DNR is really, really good at convincing people to kill all the deer. So while CWD might not end our deer hunting, killing off the majority of the deer in the name of CWD would do it. Most hunters here fill any tag they're given and would shoot the last deer on earth as long as they had a tag.

You guys are talking like there CWD is an area is the end of hunting. Plenty of people in the Wisconsin hot zone shooting deer and eating them. Sure you may have to take a few more precautions but it is not the end of the world.

Not the end of hunting, nor the end of the world. As I stated, it would wreck it for the foreseeable future if it was found close due to the opening of the slaughter such as is happening in SE MN as we speak.

I'll be honest. I don't want to know there's CWD in my area. If there is, it makes my property worth less and likely leads me to stop hunting. If the MN DNR makes testing available for everyone who wants a deer tested, it's going to get reallllllll expensive.

Stu, out of curiosity why do you think it will impact land value? Didn't you mention at some point that it had no impact on WI?

When the sharpshooters in my county pile em up from mid Jan thru March, they don't even test them (I'll admit, that's hearsay from many sources). My section had it's 1st cwd deer harvested in season 3 years ago, couple hundred yards across the fence from me. Since then the map has a couple more dots on it in the section. Right or wrong, my family is eating the buck I shot this past Nov. It was untested due to being shoulder mounted. A few miles over, there's a meat locker in a strong hunting area of that non-cwd county who reported in the paper, partway thru the season that zero customers had agreed to the free testing of their deer.

I'll be honest. I don't want to know there's CWD in my area. If there is, it makes my property worth less and likely leads me to stop hunting. If the MN DNR makes testing available for everyone who wants a deer tested, it's going to get reallllllll expensive.

With an opinion like that why on earth would you be against efforts to control it. This isn't the first time it has popped up in MN, Pine Island I believe. They seem to have controlled it there and I have stated it before but we had the TB infection in NW MN. Same type of response and it controlled the spread of that through the herd. I do realize that it stinks in the short term but ultimaltely I feel it is by far the best option. The deer will come back in those areas.

Something should have been done long ago with game farms, I feel.

When the sharpshooters in my county pile em up from mid Jan thru March, they don't even test them (I'll admit, that's hearsay from many sources). My section had it's 1st cwd deer harvested in season 3 years ago, couple hundred yards across the fence from me. Since then the map has a couple more dots on it in the section. Right or wrong, my family is eating the buck I shot this past Nov. It was untested due to being shoulder mounted. A few miles over, there's a meat locker in a strong hunting area of that non-cwd county who reported in the paper, partway thru the season that zero customers had agreed to the free testing of their deer.

So you hunt in the area of IL that the DNR down there does culling? How has it impacted your hunting?

With an opinion like that why on earth would you be against efforts to control it. This isn't the first time it has popped up in MN, Pine Island I believe. They seem to have controlled it there and I have stated it before but we had the TB infection in NW MN. Same type of response and it controlled the spread of that through the herd. I do realize that it stinks in the short term but ultimaltely I feel it is by far the best option. The deer will come back in those areas.

Something should have been done long ago with game farms, I feel.

You can't compare CWD to TB. Two very different diseases. CWD is nearly impossible to eradicate. Read up

You can't compare CWD to TB. Two very different diseases. CWD is nearly impossible to eradicate. Read up
Yup, TB doesn't live in the soil (as far as I know) once an area has CWD it is in the soil. You can kill off all the deer, but then when new CWD free deer come in they can get affected by the soil.