MN CWD Hunt

I'm glad I live in a state that is very proactive in the management of CWD. Hopefully, when addressed early and prudently here, things won't get out of hand.

I'm glad I live in a state that is very proactive in the management of CWD. Hopefully, when addressed early and prudently here, things won't get out of hand.

Would you feel the same way if neighboring states had CWD and were doing little to manage it, thereby making it only a matter of time until it was at the border of your state in meaningful prevalences? Eventually moving into your state and very little can be done about it due to other states' actions? What about if it was found on your property?

Would you feel the same way if neighboring states had CWD and were doing little to manage it, thereby making it only a matter of time until it was at the border of your state in meaningful prevalences? Eventually moving into your state and very little can be done about it due to other states' actions? What about if it was found on your property?

That is exactly my situation. Our game department actually started planning before it hit the neighboring state. They began a monitoring program when it was seen in a neighboring state. They have been very proactive in combating it. We have always been a no-baiting state, but we have been a no-feeding state for a number of years. Regulation on penned operations were tightened and inspections increased. Transport of parts into the state limited. The latest regulation was to ban deer urine as a hunting attractant. It is already in my state and probably on our door step.

My point was that I'm fortunate to be an a state with a forward thinking game department that has learned from the mistakes of other game departments and acting early to hopefully avoid a situation as described in the article. Only time will tell if their efforts will be successful.

Thanks,

Jack

SE MN = the new NW IL. It will never be the same there anymore, not even close.

That is exactly my situation. Our game department actually started planning before it hit the neighboring state. They began a monitoring program when it was seen in a neighboring state. They have been very proactive in combating it. We have always been a no-baiting state, but we have been a no-feeding state for a number of years. Regulation on penned operations were tightened and inspections increased. Transport of parts into the state limited. The latest regulation was to ban deer urine as a hunting attractant. It is already in my state and probably on our door step.

My point was that I'm fortunate to be an a state with a forward thinking game department that has learned from the mistakes of other game departments and acting early to hopefully avoid a situation as described in the article. Only time will tell if their efforts will be successful.

Thanks,

Jack

Yes those proactive measures are likely helpful. But if your surrounding states are doing relatively little to manage the disease themselves I would imagine it is only a matter of time until it enters more parts of your state and becomes more prevalent. Due to this there probably isn't really anything your state can do to remove it. If all of that is assumed and CWD is found at your doorstep what would you like to see done?

From the article

"Such “spatial separation” is needed for the disease to “burn itself out,” Cornicelli said."

This is why I don't trust anyone on the subject. They want to reduce deer number so the desease can burn itself out. Yet other so called experts will tell you the prion can live in the soil and vegetation for 100's of years. I wish one of these experts would just admit they don't have a clue what the long term affects will be, how to controlit, if it's 100% fatal or if any deer are immune.

If I were in that county i'd have a lawyer lined up for when a state sponsored sharpshooter set a darn foot on my land. Yes the resource is the states to control but private property is private property.

Yes those proactive measures are likely helpful. But if your surrounding states are doing relatively little to manage the disease themselves I would imagine it is only a matter of time until it enters more parts of your state and becomes more prevalent. Due to this there probably isn't really anything your state can do to remove it. If all of that is assumed and CWD is found at your doorstep what would you like to see done?

Right now, I don't think there is enough good science to eradicate the disease. I think the best that can be done now is what our game department is doing to slow the spread. We can't stop most diseases in man and there is little chance we will stop them in wildlife. But disease is part of the natural order. Many diseases can devastate a population but there are generally some individuals that are more resistant. Over time those genetics have greater forward momentum. In time, things balance out.

I think the most important thing I would want to see done is more research into whether or not the inter-species barrier can be jumped between CWD and CJD. We have had a very long span of increasing deer populations. It is not realistic to expect this to continue unabated whether it is CWD or some other factor. It is never fun to see populations decline sharply but that is how nature works sometimes.

Thanks,

Jack

Reactions: kl9
I am looking at trying to participate. Looks like there is some public lands to hunt, a couple of decent size. I've haven't hunted too much south of the Twin Cities, could be interesting. Wonder what tags will be needed, and what the weather will be like?

MN made it illegal this fall (before CWD was found here) to bring back any cervids from any state with CWD. That did basically nothing, most everybody didn't either know about the restriction or follow it.

I'm not positive but I think they made it illegal from any where. Starting this fall we couldn't bring them back from Ontario either and I don't believe they have had any CWD (if they have someone correct me).

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/deerimports/index.html

Deer carcass import restrictions

Whole carcasses of deer, elk, moose and caribou from anywhere in North America no longer can be brought in to Minnesota.

Non-residents who are transporting whole or partial carcasses on a direct through Minnesota are exempt from these restrictions. Similar laws that may be more restrictive exist in all states surrounding Minnesota.

Prior to August 2016, these restrictions were in place for any deer, elk, moose or caribou harvested in areas infected with Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD).

The whole thing stinks. The game farms, the dnr, cwd, and all the extra killing that is gonna go on. The more I read about these game farms the less I like them.

From the article

"Such “spatial separation” is needed for the disease to “burn itself out,” Cornicelli said."

This is why I don't trust anyone on the subject. They want to reduce deer number so the desease can burn itself out. Yet other so called experts will tell you the prion can live in the soil and vegetation for 100's of years. I wish one of these experts would just admit they don't have a clue what the long term affects will be, how to controlit, if it's 100% fatal or if any deer are immune.

If I were in that county i'd have a lawyer lined up for when a state sponsored sharpshooter set a darn foot on my land. Yes the resource is the states to control but private property is private property.

Sharpshooters cannot come on your land without permission

Thousands, if not tens of thousands.

Sad but true. Just got a call from my local CO. They followed up on a call I made about deer carcass imports. 3 deer were confiscated. He also stopped stopped several other vehicles, including one that had 12 deer. The CO was most disappointed in the poor job the DNR did of getting the word out about the new regulations.

I wonder how many guys that have land in that area buy tags, and register a deer without shooting one?

With all the WMAs in that area, your probably not going to stop the DNR from thinning the herd.

I wonder how many guys that have land in that area buy tags, and register a deer without shooting one?

They may require in person registration, otherwise it would probably done frequently would be my guess.

Any word on what tags a guy is going to be able to use? Got to buy a special tag, or any leftover tag can be used? Allow rifles in an otherwise slug zone? I think they allowed them a few years ago in the other CWD area not too far away from this one.

I am looking at trying to participate. Looks like there is some public lands to hunt, a couple of decent size. I've haven't hunted too much south of the Twin Cities, could be interesting. Wonder what tags will be needed, and what the weather will be like?
No offense to you, but this is exactly how the DNR will accomplish what it wishes.

No offense to you, but this is exactly how the DNR will accomplish what it wishes.

Yup. I was talking about it with a brother in law. He wondered if there was some way we could get down there to participate. I told him I wanted nothing to do with it and imagine how you would feel if they came to our area and started whacking away.