MN Brassica Questions

Forecast was 2 to 3 inches of rain, we had less than a 1/4 inch:rolleyes:

Farmlogs account said 1.04 in Onamia and 1.58 inches here in Monticello. Sprayed and threw 2 small plots for a trial in some pretty rough areas, along with 2 acres I overseeded into soybeans. I even got the tractor stuck for a bit.

This $89 Teejet boomless has been working great for me. Great kill in the beans. Moves a little too much water but 30 gallons per acre is working well. Video just a quick shot when I was running water to clean it out. 30 psi there and I usually run it at 90 or 100.

Last edited by a moderator:
Batman, put a 3 way valve to bypass back into tank. Contact me, will give you informartion.

Batman, put a 3 way valve to bypass back into tank. Contact me, will give you informartion.

I think it has one on the front of the unit to 'stir' the mix?

How are your beans looking Brooks, what did you over seed with if we can ask?

I just over seeded with Tillage Radish, PTT, Vivant and Tyfon Turnips in a few spots up here in MN. We will do Missouri in 2-3 weeks.

How are your beans looking Brooks, what did you over seed with if we can ask?

Beans are starting to canopy in the first fields planted and filling nicely in all but one plot. Browse pressure may be too much in the one plot plus it had a couple wet spots when I did the beans, so I spread some leftover MOSPECIAL BIG BUCK PTT, Daikon forage radish and DER I had from last year..

Video shows the field I had to overseed, and most of the bean plants have been browsed. You can see the mature hardwoods on the edge, but everywhere I pan is ringed by a 12 acre clearcut on its third summer of growth. Hard to tell in video but it starts and end with 250 yard lanes for rifle and muzzle loader season. This is not an archery spot.
1/4 mile away there is almost 7 acres of beans that have barely been touched. The clearcuts are really coming into their own this year and should really be holding the deer this fall.
IMG_1105.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to regulate the pressure as gpm per nozzle, along with speed, to know how much you are putting down per acre. GPM per nozzle at a given speed, how wide it will cover. Nozzle capacity, .7 x2 will put out 27 gallons at 3mph, 20 gallons@4mph, 16 gallons@ 5mph. This is a teejet 0C-08.

Batman, it looks as you have a teejet 4418-3/4-20tc. I use a teejet 4202. With your smallest tips @30psi will put out 16 gals. per acre@ 3mph. The set up will cover 36' with the tips at 36".

I've had weedy brassica plots planted in July before. The key to not having that happen is timing IME. If you get the seed down on a clean seed bed, then get enough rain for the brassica to germinate and grow quickly....they'll outgrow the weeds for the most part. If you don't get good germination and growth...then the weeds are more problematic.

If the neighbors are spraying, waiting for the burn down, then tilling and planting...that will only make the weed situation worse since they're just bringing more weed seeds to the surface with the tilling.

I just had a guy and his wife here from your area, on Hummingbird rd, Long Prairie. He said he is in a great area for deer and Brassicas work really well for him. Same for you Stu?

Hummingbird road is only a few miles north from my place, the other side of Hwy 27 where the herd is managed for 100% higher densities than here :rolleyes:. Its also very near one of the largest tamarack swamps in the area.

Yes, I've had great luck with brassicas and deer eating them. My neighbor didn't last year though...I still haven't quite figured that out. I'm guessing it was his (slightly) closer proximity to corn and standing beans.

He said they have been active for a few years in a coop with some of the neighbors. Took them a while to get on board, but thinks it has helped so far. But he said the 5 acres of Brassicas they plant has tipped the odds in their favor from the guys that don't go through the work of planting them.

Why is the area just a few miles north of you managed so much better if I can ask?

His last name wasn't Claseman was it?
There are some QDMA signs north of Hummingbird not too far.
You tell me why 214 is managed for 20 dpsm and 215 is managed for 10 (both pre-fawn)...I haven't a clue. The only answer I've been able to come up with is that my area is managed for 10 dpsm due to the St. Joe/St. Cloud area and the 94 corridor. I'm at least 45 minutes from the St. Cloud "metro" and 35ish minutes from 94.
One big reason why I'd like to see dpsm managed on a county rather than unit basis.

Majerus was his name. His dad owns some property in the area as well.

You tell me why 214 is managed for 20 dpsm and 215 is managed for 10 (both pre-fawn)...I haven't a clue. The only answer I've been able to come up with is that my area is managed for 10 dpsm due to the St. Joe/St. Cloud area and the 94 corridor. I'm at least 45 minutes from the St. Cloud "metro" and 35ish minutes from 94.
One big reason why I'd like to see dpsm managed on a county rather than unit basis.

Could it be as simple as a different area manager?

Area 214 is the armpit of mn. There is no deer in that unit o_O:D.

upload_2015-7-6_23-25-34.png

Somehow 214 has that mysterious boundary on area 240, and its managed for about half the deer...... even though the habitat is similar..... Hmmmm. Funny how that works....

3 properties in Todd County owned by someone with the last name Majerus. The only one of any size is the one on Hummingbird...about 48 acres. That property is in very close proximity to a number of large acreages owned by a Lake covenant association...no idea what the hunting situation is on those acres.

Kind of a small world...there is a parcel very near that 48 acres ^^ that I considered before buying here. It had an existing home that I wasn't fond of though

I don't know what he owns, but says he has 160 acres he hunts and food plots on by his house.

And your statement that 214 is managed for twice of 215 should not happen in that part of the state. Terrain is very similar, habitat is very similar, makes no sense.

214. Yep twice the deer and rifle to ;) But I agree stu. Should be no difference between the 2

The random permit area borders don't seem any better than the county lines would be for the way woods, ag land and general habitat is laid out. I think the supposed reason for the permit areas is to follow habitat somewhat, but I am not sure. Seems like in many cases in the areas of east central MN I am familiar with county lines would be just as good and in some cases better than the permit areas.

a few miles north would literally be managed for 100% deer when the habitat is identical? .

Covered this topic and the unit boundaries at length when I spoke with the OLA.

I hope the OLA fully understands ALL of the problems that they face with how our herd has been so poorly mismanaged.

What is going to be real interesting is what happens at the conclusion of the audit. I have no doubts that there will be some recommended changes/new ideas that are put forth...but will the DNR implement any of them?

When WI's DNR was audited, it was done at the direction of Governor Walker. Walker no doubt made it clear to his appointed DNR director that the changes would be implemented as much as possible.

Will Dayton will play a role in our audit? I doubt it...unless the mainstream press latches onto the audit and the recommendations put forth.

The Teachers Union has Dayton as their Puppet right now, Not any deer hunting organization. He won't tell the DNR to Implement anything.