MN bill to end shotgun zone

@Bill loser… I have land in both the shotgun and rifle zone in Minnesota. I have used both 220 savage, .243 Tikka , nothing to do with me liking or disliking rifles.

The current zones on slugs/rifles are just fine…. No changes needed.
I get that you like the zones, but its not up to you or me. Im fairly certain no one in wisconsin asked for it either. Its government and they will do what they want to do with no input from us.
All im saying is ,is that itll be fine, aside from the more pleasant sounding rifle shots( my preference) you likely see no difference.

Pump shotguns sure go boom, boom, boom, boom, boom on opening morning in zone 3!!!

At least most guys will use bolt action rifles. A little harder to spray with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im in the farmland, and I completely agree with bwoods. Most every change the MN DNR has made in recent years has been for profit and at the expense of the resource. Its not about management, just money.

What I'm afraid we're going to see is a bunch of idiots toting AR's with 30 round clips, wanting to see if they can kill a deer at 1000 yards. And i'm afraid they will. They may not find, or even look for half of them, but deer are going to die. Deer drives arent as possible as they used to be.... but long range shooting... its "cool" right now. Everybody and their brother can buy a "1000 yard" gun over the counter, problem is 99 out of 100 guys are 100 yard shooters!

Its just not necessary. Just ANOTHER step in the wrong direction for MN, IMO.

Like I said 38/55;375 44/mag 444/ 45/70

Like I said earlier, I'm fine with statewide rifles in MN, just move the gun season back two weeks. That won't happen though, of course. The crybaby gun hunters whose season started a few days late a few years back were unbearable because they didn't get enough rut to hunt. "The rut was already over". What a damn joke.

Does anyone know of any studies comparing effectiveness of either class of weapons? I'm sure state DNRs have tracked licenses issued and tags filled before and after a transition.

Otherwise, this is all just pissing and moaning.

I live in the Twin Cities and only archery hunt on public land in MN. As someone that exclusively hunts pressured deer on public land in the state, I worry what the perceived advantage will mean for pressuring deer. As it is, public land whitetail hunting in the shotgun zone of the state is brutal compared to neighboring states.

Actually less deer overall will die with implementing statewide rifle. Less wounded deer limp out of the season that’ll later get taken out by Mother Nature. 1 shot, 1 kill with rifles. Not 5 hope and sprays you get with a shotgun.

I’m not concerned about deer numbers (does) . It’s bucks we are talking here. If you know anything about Minnesota… this was the best trophy buck state in the nation many years ago.

Now it’s one of the worst in the Midwest. As the DNR has added more and longer gun seasons. With a 9 day season during the rut.

There are 29 gun days this fall in my zone. As mentioned earlier there are counties where you won’t have 5-6 bucks over age 3 survive the season. Depressing.

This will make it even worse.

I’m not concerned about deer numbers (does) . It’s bucks we are talking here. If you know anything about Minnesota… this was the best trophy buck state in the nation many years ago.

Now it’s one of the worst in the Midwest. As the DNR has added more and longer gun seasons. With a 9 day season during the rut.

There are 29 gun days this fall in my zone. As mentioned earlier there are counties where you won’t have 5-6 bucks over age 3 survive the season. Depressing.

This will make it even worse.
I am still confused how switching to rifle will only kill young bucks?

Actually less deer overall will die with implementing statewide rifle. Less wounded deer limp out of the season that’ll later get taken out by Mother Nature. 1 shot, 1 kill with rifles. Not 5 hope and sprays you get with a shotgun.
This is deffinately something the ear test has shown over the last few years. No more 5 or more shots in a row every 2 minutes. You can hear the rambo idiots with the ar's every once in a while though. Lol

Like I said earlier, I'm fine with statewide rifles in MN, just move the gun season back two weeks. That won't happen though, of course. The crybaby gun hunters whose season started a few days late a few years back were unbearable because they didn't get enough rut to hunt. "The rut was already over". What a damn joke.
This is the argument you should be having. No reason for the gun season to be held during the rut, thats just dumb.

The elephant in the room is cwd.

the older the population the more likely there will be positive samples.

I live in se wi, where we went from shotgun to rifle. I thought this was a really bad idea at the time, but I'm surprised there really hasn't been any major safety issues that I know of over the last 15 plus years with rifles.im I really don't know how it effected deer numbers. One issue I do have is with politicians constantly trying to push new laws and change the rules. Most of them are bad from a management perspective. They need to stay out of most issues.i don't remember all this complaining we started changing all the rules to make it easier for everyone hunting. The technology we use for hunting has to slow down somewhere. I can't imagine where it will lead in the future. I already seen a video of a how a person could shoot a deer in the woods from their computer at home. With 100 yard crossbows, 1000 yard rifles, live trail cameras, robot decoys,etc in my opinion these are issues that are making it worse. New rules and regulations changes are not always a good. They need to leave things alone.

What really irks me about a non resident hunting the gopher state is you gotta pay for each season full price.

but only one antlered deer. It gets spendy.

What really irks me about a non resident hunting the gopher state is you gotta pay for each season full price.

but only one antlered deer. It gets spendy.

I could see multiple seasons as a NR getting expensive. For what I paid in MN resident whitetail tags last year that allowed me to shoot a total of 1 buck, a MT resident can shoot a bull elk, a whitetail or muley buck, a bear, an antelope, small game, and get an annual fishing license.

But I still think MN has it more right and MT should probably ask their residents to pay tag fees that indicate there is an actual value to their game.

Rifles don't kill bucks, hunters do.

But they do shoot much further , 2x, 3x so more bucks will die . I’m in the camp to try to get more bucks to survive. I’m not brown is down … If you are, I’m against that attitude, sorry just being honest !

But they do shoot much further , 2x, 3x so more bucks will die . I’m in the camp to try to get more bucks to survive. I’m not brown is down … If you are, I’m against that attitude, sorry just being honest !

As discussed in a previous post, a 400 yard shot in no to moderate wind is a chip shot with a rifle for some folks. Even if it's not a chip shot, the internet and TV has told everyone that the weapon is capable so so a lot more people are hopin and pokin even if they don't know what goes into making the shot. Much more accurate, Less recoil, easier to shoot without the garbage triggers on a shotgun. I don't see a legitimate argument on how they don't make hunters more effective at killing bucks. That said, I wouldn't expect to see a statistically significant population wide change in harvest #'s attributable to rifles.

The thing about long range shooting,

how do you find where the quarry was standing?

you need a spotter or snow or both!

It seems that most agree that it is easier to kill a deer with a rifle.

Will that fact actually matter much? Obviously we don’t all feel the same there.