MN bill to end shotgun zone

Some of you guys sound like anti hunters...
Rifles wont change anything in any area. Most shot guns these days have ranges of 150 to 200 plus yards which is the range 99% of hunters would usually stick to. Add to that the fact that a good number of shotgun hunters use semi automatic guns for faster follow up shots, i would guess the majority of rifles nowadays are bolt action, or even single shot, so to assume that it would become a war zone is bit much.
Southern wisconsin a fww years ago went from shotgun to either and the deer kill numbers i believe have been for the most part unchanged, though i dont have the nbers in front of me right this moment.
You wont see anychanges other than the sound of the shots on opening day.
BS.
It will have a big impact on quality in certain counties. It’s not the same as SW Wisconsin. They have good habitat and rolling wooded hills.

Have you been to SW Minnesota? It’s open farm country The DNR had a group at the meeting in Alexandria from that zone and they all said “please don’t pass this”… one hunter said he will be able to cover his entire 40 with one box stand.

That’s accurate too.

BS.
It will have a big impact on quality in certain counties. It’s not the same as SW Wisconsin. They have good habitat and rolling wooded hills.

Have you been to SW Minnesota? It’s open farm country The DNR had a group at the meeting in Alexandria from that zone and they all said “please don’t pass this”… one hunter said he will be able to cover his entire 40 with one box stand.

That’s accurate too.
Yes ill call bs also.
If a guy can cover his entire 40 with a rifle then he was able to cover it with a shot gun also. With the advances in slugs and slug barrels the effecrive range of most shotguns is equal or close to equal with most rifles. Its not like we are throwing a round slug out of a smooth bore lime the old days.
Have you ever been to se wisconsin? Its almost all farmland. I have a small chunk we hunt. I could cover nearly the entire property from my middle stand with either my rifle or my shot gun, wouldnt matter, i can drill bulls at 150 plus with either one.
I do agree on 1 of your points though. Gun season definitely should not coincide with the rut. That probably has more impact on your herd than any weapon you may choose to use.

The range difference of a rifle compared to a Savage 220 slug gun is significant. Savage 150-200 yards. Some rifles are 300-400 yards or more.

The BS is getting on a forum and comparing hunters that do not want rifles to anti-hunters . That’s an old ridiculous tactic/comment . We want better hunting, not worse. Rifles will not make the hunting better!

I'm near the rifle/shotgun boundary. I hunt a fair bit of public around home and it's a pain to remember what I can use where.

That is probably the biggest issue/headache I can think of with having multiple zones.

The range difference of a rifle compared to a Savage 220 slug gun is significant. Savage 150-200 yards. Some rifles are 300-400 yards or more.

Give me a clear line of site to 400 yards and a deer that is standing still enough - that deer is dead if I want it dead with a basic tikka 223. With one of my dedicated western hunting rifles that range increases.

The question is, how many actual hunting opportunities does that work in and is it enough to make a difference? I'm positive that there are deer that can be killed from a long ways away but i've always struggled when I choose spots that allow me to see a long ways over spots where I cant see far but the deer feel more comfortable.

Last edited:
Out here in the Rocky Mountains the richochte factor is different

If people could use cheaper ammo they might practice more

The BS is getting on a forum and comparing hunters that do not want rifles to anti-hunters . That’s an old ridiculous tactic/comment . We want better hunting, not worse. Rifles will not make the hunting better!
Will rifles make hunting better? No. But neither do shot guns. Either one is just a tool. The way to make things better is in the people using the tools. A buck shot with a rifle isn't magically made younger due to the cartridge it was killed with. You want an older deer class? Stip shooting young deer, doesnt matter what its killed with a dead deer is dead .
I will ask these questionsthough:
Do you make the same arguments against modern muzzl loaders?
Do you make the same arguments against the use of cross bows?

I’m against the 16 day muzzy season in Minnesota…too long. I’m against crossbows yes.

More dead deer with rifles, yes agree with you. Rifles will be bad in my neighborhood, I’ll simply just not hunt that 9 day season. My neighbors will put a hurt on the good up and comers.

My smokeless muzzleloader puts shotguns to shame when it comes to accuracy and range. It's what I'd use if I hunted in a shotgun zone. So I'd agree that to consider MN muzzle loader laws aligned with being a "primative weapon" is a joke. That said, it's after the rut and participation is WAY lower than firearm season.

I’m against the 16 day muzzy season in Minnesota…too long. I’m against crossbows yes.

More dead deer with rifles, yes agree with you. Rifles will be bad in my neighborhood, I’ll simply just not hunt that 9 day season. My neighbors will put a hurt on the good up and comers.
Or maybe your neighbors will let more "good up and comers" walk because the extended range of a rifle will give them better odds at tagging the neighborhood trophy?

Arguments against rifles are nothing more than selfish trophy hunters trying to preserve "their" deer.

Last edited:
Arguments against rifles are nothing more than selfish trophy hunters trying to preserve "their" bucks.

Why is it selfish for someone to want a better buck population and age structure but not selfish to make it easy as possible for someone who thinks about hunting 2 days a year to kill their deer at the detriment of buck population and age structure?

Different people value things in different ways. Doesn't make someone selfish because they want something different.

Last edited:
I think the political clout of vista outdoor might come into play
Particularly in the part to "allow firestick charges in muzzle loaders during muzzle loader season".. Again, something not overly important to me either way but I don't like legislature meddling in wildlife management policy to help a company sell their new product when muzzle loader regs are already quite liberal.

I would hands down vote yes if asked.

nothing more than selfish trophy hunters trying to preserve "their" deer.
I'd bet the majority of folks using this forum are doing so to up the odds in their favor to shoot a "trophy" buck. Trophy is in the eyes of the beholder.

Or maybe your neighbors will let more "good up and comers" walk because the extended range of a rifle will give them better odds at tagging the neighborhood trophy?

Arguments against rifles are nothing more than selfish trophy hunters trying to preserve "their" deer.
I’ve found over the years that gun hunters control everything and if you try to stop their expansion they get upset and call others selfish or “like an anti” doesn’t work it my book.

You can see through the BS, everyone knows a rifle will kill more deer and bucks than a shotgun… and this is Minnesota during prime time rut …. Bad regulation change!

I’ve found over the years that gun hunters control everything and if you try to stop their expansion they get upset and call others selfish or “like an anti” doesn’t work it my book.

You can see through the BS, everyone knows a rifle will kill more deer and bucks than a shotgun… and this is Minnesota during prime time rut …. Bad regulation change!
You are just plain wrong. Rifles dont kill anymore deer than shotguns.
And in a way it is selfish, YOU dont like rifles so no one should be able to use one.
I dont have a dog in this fight, never have and probably never will hunt MN. But believe me,the same BS was thrown around here when they went rifle statewide, its unsafe ( fatalities and accidents have gone down for the most part) to many deer will be killed ( the deer kill numbers have not done anything but go down, not necessarily due to less deer but changing deer hunting,no drives, everyone sits all day and the deer dont need to move ) . So that being said i can say without a doubt you are wrong.
Sorry if i picked a scab with you as you seem to take everything personal, didnt mean for it to go the way it was taken. Was trying to show it isnt all doom and gloom.

Why is it selfish for someone to want a better buck population and age structure but not selfish to make it easy as possible for someone who thinks about hunting 2 days a year to kill their deer at the detriment of buck population and age structure?

Different people value things in different ways. Doesn't make someone selfish because they want something different.
Its not necessarily selfish. But to push your goals and opinions of success on everyone else trends towards that end.
Like it or not those 2 day a year hunters outnumber the rest if us by alot. They drive the yearly revenue, not us.
I am surrounded by public land and the weekend warriors are crazy here. The fibs all come here to the "north woods" and go nuts for a weekend everyyear. So i feel ya, but at the end of the day without them it would be harder and alot more expensive to be us and do what we all love to do. Rest assured the 2 a years wont kill anymore than they used to.

@Bill loser… I have land in both the shotgun and rifle zone in Minnesota. I have used both 220 savage, .243 Tikka , nothing to do with me liking or disliking rifles.

The current zones on slugs/rifles are just fine…. No changes needed.

Can you find top shelf slugs anywhere though? I've been on the waiting list for 25 different online stores for over 2 years. I want Partition Golds, Accutips, or Barnes Expanders in both 12 and 20. I don't think they're making them anymore. The manufacturers won't even respond to me.