MN bill to end shotgun zone

It seems that most agree that it is easier to kill a deer with a rifle.

Will that fact actually matter much? Obviously we don’t all feel the same there.
I'm just as proficient at missing with my rifle as I am with my slug gun. Mortality when I do hit them seems similar regardless of firearm used.

What part is easier?

I have hunted with an auto 12 ga and an auto rifle for many years, I would use the rifle 100% of the time if I could.

Less recoil, flatter shooting, more power incase you hit a small branch, more accurate at 2-3 times the distance.

But in my mind there is a place for both. I use to live in farm country with smallish 10-40 acre woods in the middle of fields, with roads about every 1/2-1 mile on each side of these small woods. I know where I use to hunt, I was in the woods, shooting out to the field, with a road about a half mile away. With a slug not much of a risk for it to reach the road in case you shot at a deer without noticing a car on the road. A rifle would easily have enough power for the bullet to make its way to the road.

Sure, my success shooting deer in the fields would increase with a rifle, but the chance of a bullet making its way to a road is also greatly increased.

Last edited:
As someone that's grown up in PA, dealt with a two week rifle season their entire life, it's wild to see so many advocate for such a season on a forum dedicated to management and the pursuit of mature deer.

If you double the range of the weapon from 200 to 400 yards, you get quadruple the area to kill in. Will be a lot of tall racked yearlings getting the crosshairs in low light at 400.

If you double the range of the weapon from 200 to 400 yards, you get quadruple the area to kill in. Will be a lot of tall racked yearlings getting the crosshairs in low light at 400.
Not many shooting at 400 yards. I would bet most people have no idea how far 400 yards actually is. And even fewer have optics, loads or skills needed to shoot that far.

But the same can be said for shotguns. 200 takes good equipment and a sound marksman. I think the theory is still valid.

But the same can be said for shotguns. 200 takes good equipment and a sound marksman. I think the theory is still valid.
Without a doubt the same can be said. Does anyone know what the average shooting distance of shotguns and rifles is? I would bet its similar.
I really dont think some on here are being fair to their fellow hunters or realistic about their own or others true shooting capabilities. Just because you can use rifles it doesnt mean you can all of a sudden shoot to 400 yards or more. Sure the weapon can move projectiles that far but that doesnt mean most will try it. The vast majority of hunters would never even think about taking a shot that far. Hell, im a decent shot but the farthest i have ever even thought about attempting was around 250 and I would bet for most that would be the outside of their range. A good slug gun with a scope and the right loads can do 250 easy,

I just think it's disingenuous to say that "sure a rifle can do 400 easy but no one does it" and then in the same breath say "a 250 yard shotgun shot is a putt and "anyone can do it." I've never heard of a 250 yard slug kill. The same guys who are opting not to let the rifle bark at 400 are the same guys who know their limitations and won't shoot a slug over 100. Btw, how you been feeling?

I just think it's disingenuous to say that "sure a rifle can do 400 easy but no one does it" and then in the same breath say "a 250 yard shotgun shot is a putt and "anyone can do it." I've never heard of a 250 yard slug kill. The same guys who are opting not to let the rifle bark at 400 are the same guys who know their limitations and won't shoot a slug over 100. Btw, how you been feeling?
Exactly my point. I actually know of a true 250 plus yard slug kill. I did it. Not proud of it at all as it was a total luck shot and i hit it in the head, which I wasnt aiming for! I was much younger and alot dumber then... But it does happen. Point is is just because the weapon can doesnt mean many will try it. My only issue with this whole thing is assuming that because rifles can be used it will automatically make everyone a 400 plus yard shooter and every young buck will be killed. The same people who kill everything they see with a slug gun will kill everything they see with a rifle, but the same will go the other way also. Not much will be different.

Its been a long slow journey but finally feel like I am getting better. Was able to get the oxygen pump and tanks out of my house yesterday. Was a good day!
Thanks for asking!

I think we're probably just experiencing a case of every location is different, again. Hard for me to visualize your area and vice versa. Some of you guys are in the northwoods. I'm in farm country, along with most the state of IL. People here would effectively be able to cover the entire farm. Sit in a shooting house with a lead sled over 10 acres of sugar beets across the end of 60 acres of cornstalks and see what comes out. Won't work for everyone, but it doesn't have to. Would still be annihilation. I think if a only a handful more bucks get killed this year, then next year, then watch the trickle down. Liberal regulations ruin these states, not conservative ones. I'm still using the same slug gun I bought used in 97 while in college, and had planned on retiring with it.

Glad you got those oxy tanks gone! I miss the good ol days of the rona thread, lol. Keep getting better, buddy.

Without a doubt the same can be said. Does anyone know what the average shooting distance of shotguns and rifles is? I would bet its similar.
I really dont think some on here are being fair to their fellow hunters or realistic about their own or others true shooting capabilities. Just because you can use rifles it doesnt mean you can all of a sudden shoot to 400 yards or more. Sure the weapon can move projectiles that far but that doesnt mean most will try it. The vast majority of hunters would never even think about taking a shot that far. Hell, im a decent shot but the farthest i have ever even thought about attempting was around 250 and I would bet for most that would be the outside of their range. A good slug gun with a scope and the right loads can do 250 easy,

I agree that the average guy that shoots half a box to "sight in" their rifle and 1 or 2 bullets at a deer a year isn't going to all of a sudden be hitting a paper plate at 400. But I could have an average decent experienced rifle shooter comfortable and able to make clean 400 yard kills with about an hour of work at the range if they had a reasonably accurate rifle. And because the equipment is capable (more so than a slug at 200+) people are going to be more comfortable taking shots that they don't have the knowledge/experience to justify that comfort. You can buy a range finder or custom turrets that the manufacturer markets as doing the work for you and people think because they bought x product, its as simple as making a few clicks on the scope and no problem just like on tv or the internet..

Paper plate sized targets are boringly easy to hit at 400 yards in mild winds with a 223 shooting an applicable projectile.

Points taken from both of you.
I do live in farmland country. I can tell you I don't know many people who shoot 400 plus not even close to that . Not saying none do, I just havent heard of them. My thing is if they were willing to be brown its down with a shotgun then they will with a rifle and vice versa. I do know also, having experienced it here, the kill numbers will not move much either way. And seriously, if a couple younger bucks get killed, in the long run does it really matter. Some of us don't like the taste of horns!

Yes, I miss it some also Mort, but I have to admit, things were getting a bit out of control at the end there....

I currently use a rifle, and my longest shot would probably be 75 yards. I could very easily drop everything with a 12ga from my stand, but why?

My biggest concern is the running deer, so rather then spraying slugs at 100 yards, that would probably hit dirt at 150, now you are spraying bullets at 150-200 yards that is hitting dirt at 300+, lots of roads and houses within the limit of a decent rifle bullet. Not a lot of younger, or new hunters have trigger control when they see their first deer, or biggest deer. Hell I know I have taken plenty of shots that I knew I shouldnt have, but in the heat of the moment, it is easy to just let them fly.

I currently use a rifle, and my longest shot would probably be 75 yards. I could very easily drop everything with a 12ga from my stand, but why?

My biggest concern is the running deer, so rather then spraying slugs at 100 yards, that would probably hit dirt at 150, now you are spraying bullets at 150-200 yards that is hitting dirt at 300+, lots of roads and houses within the limit of a decent rifle bullet. Not a lot of younger, or new hunters have trigger control when they see their first deer, or biggest deer. Hell I know I have taken plenty of shots that I knew I shouldnt have, but in the heat of the moment, it is easy to just let them fly.
Agree, my only argument on this would be to have trust in your fellow hunters. The running shots always seems to be a thing with shotguns and less so with rifle, just my observation,

I must be in the minority. My area isn’t completely over run by young, trigger happy, it’s brown it’s down idiots.

The guys that tag out every year with a 1.5 year old buck aren’t going to be shooting anything different just because they are carrying a rifle. By me, those guys are done hunting by 9 am opening morning. That is a decent percent of hunters.

Another argument (and has been made) lighter recoil. Think women and kids.

Ammo availability anyone? This argument is almost more of a time waster than talking COVID. It may pass eventually but if it hasn’t by now…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must be in the minority. My area isn’t completely over run by young, trigger happy, it’s brown it’s down idiots.

The guys that tag out every year with a 1.5 year old buck aren’t going to be shooting anything different just because they are carrying a rifle. By me, those guys are done hunting by 9 am opening morning. That is a decent percent of hunters.

Another argument (and has been made) lighter recoil. Think women and kids.

Ammo availability anyone? This argument is almost more of a time waster than talking COVID. It may pass eventually but if it hasn’t by now…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its fun to discuss the pros and cons.

Well Illinois House and Senate passed the rifle bill. It says bottleneck cartridge can be .30 or larger with a case not exceeding one and two-fifths inches. Or a straightwall. Must be a single shot.

What's my best option? I see Henry makes a single shot 350 Legend. Says it's good to 250 yards. That's better than my 12 gauge by a fair 75 yards, but if I can get good ammo then I guess I have to do it. Slugs are going the way of the smilodon.

Single shot straight wall?

Yep. Seems bottle neck would be ruled out with that length limit? I'm thinking 444 Marlin right now.