Missouri guys - who is hunting this weekend?

Is there a dislike button for posts, lol.
I hear you Bill, they keep forecasting rain and then nothing happens - here's a picture of my dust plot. Just a hint of green Rye that germinated without any rain. Pretty frustrating watching the squirrels eat my seeds today.
View attachment 15024

A nice thunder storm just rolled through here. Hopefully you guys got some also. I'm happy I just planted rye and oats yesterday..

Iam kicking myself for not reseeding this morning

Im hoping the stuff I cultipacked in is still laying under the soil waiting for rain. Hopefully we'll get some this time around.

I hear you Bill, they keep forecasting rain and then nothing happens - here's a picture of my dust plot. Just a hint of green Rye that germinated without any rain. Pretty frustrating watching the squirrels eat my seeds today.
View attachment 15024
That looks like a good kill plot if it ever comes up!!!!

Check out the successful hunt section. I hunted tonight. Posted vid there.

According to the radar we got a good two hour rain today for the first time out at our property since the first week of August. Hopefully it does the trick and hopefully I have enough seed buried that didn't germinate early or get eaten by squirrels. I guess I'll know in a week or ten days. We got about 3/4 of an inch at the house but we had a bigger storm here than out in Cuba. I'm hoping for at least a quarter inch out there.

According to the radar we got a good two hour rain today for the first time out at our property since the first week of August. Hopefully it does the trick and hopefully I have enough seed buried that didn't germinate early or get eaten by squirrels. I guess I'll know in a week or ten days. We got about 3/4 of an inch at the house but we had a bigger storm here than out in Cuba. I'm hoping for at least a quarter inch out there.

Hopefully it does the trick for you. 6/10ths on Saturday and we're off to the races..

Hope we get a bit more tonight.

image.png

Not sure about your part of the state but we've had mid to upper 90s with heat index in the 100s the last couple of days. Not expecting a break until the middle of next week. Last year was my first year of this and we had perfect conditions from the moment I planted. This year has been the other extreme for sure. And I thought the second year would be a snap. It sure makes me appreciate the farmers even more.

We ended up with a 1/2 inch here at the house. Just settle the dust at the farm. We're starting to hurt.

We ended up with a 1/2 inch here at the house. Just settle the dust at the farm. We're starting to hurt.
I wanted to "like" that post but it's hard to like this weather right now. Craziest September weather for sure.

Not sure about your part of the state but we've had mid to upper 90s with heat index in the 100s the last couple of days. Not expecting a break until the middle of next week. Last year was my first year of this and we had perfect conditions from the moment I planted. This year has been the other extreme for sure. And I thought the second year would be a snap. It sure makes me appreciate the farmers even more.

You're not alone. In 11 years on this place this is by far the worst my food plots have ever looked. 12 inch beans, failed brasica's "twice", failed sugar beets and crispy clover. The rye is my ace in the hole at this point, even if I Have to replant it on Halloween.

We've been hot but not 90's since the weekend. 50% chance of a thundershowers over night. Fingers crossed because there is a 50% chance it won't :(

Less than 1/2" at my place. I hope not enough to get seed to germinate. With 90+ temp for 7 days it will just burn up. Planted alfalfa labor day and im running out of time to get enough maturity to handle winter.

I planted three acres second or third week of august in brassicas. Was wet then and it came up pretty good. Last I saw it leaves were about like dandelion size in your yard. Haven't seen it in several weeks, hope its ok. Looks like I got about an inch last weekend. I planted two acres of rye same time, it probably faired better. I spent a lot of money of fertilizer too...

I'm just south of Fulton, central Mo

I'm going out tomorrow - probably won't hunt in this heat but I'm interested to see if the rain we got did anything at all. If I don't see any germination I think I'll buy a couple bags of rye and wait for better October weather. I'm sure my basic as are dead by now.

I did a bunch of mowing yesterday morning and did nothing today. 99 degrees with a heat index of 103 today. My plots are nothing but dust.

I did a bunch of mowing yesterday morning and did nothing today. 99 degrees with a heat index of 103 today. My plots are nothing but dust.
:( that stinks.

It's really been crazy for sure. We've got mid 70s with lows in the 40s forecast for next week though. Maybe I can squeeze in a morning hunt or two. I've decided to buy a couple bags of rye and maybe another bag Of winter peas and just hold onto them and go spread them in the rain when it finally gets here. This dry spell has to break in October sometime.

Hopefully some other MO guys moisture today. N MO did. There's a puddle below this doe at 6:00 PM today.

image.jpeg

It was dry at 10:00 AM this morning

image.jpeg

According to Radar we got just a little bit of light rain. I'll take anything right now. I'm still holding out hope that I have enough seed that didn't germinate just sitting there waiting for rain. I did cultipack so I know he squirrels didn't get it all. I just don't know how much we lost to the heat. The cold front is coming through tonight. I'm going to go out for a morning hunt tomorrow and then again Friday. Friday maybe I'll take A little walk after I hunt and see how things are doing.

If the seed is still there it will be fine. Hard seed will lay there in wait so long as it didn't germinate and dry up. I planted late one Sept and it got cold and dry. Rye didn't come up until spring but it came up.