Mine still hanging

Here's one I sure wish was mine. Neighbor's persimmon still with quite a few hanging on Feb 1 and deer tracks all around it in the snow. Grafted it last spring and collected seeds last fall.
View attachment 40853
View attachment 40854
Chickenlittle,
Impressive! Is that tree in zone 5 or 6?

5b. Tioga County NY.

5b. Tioga County NY.
That’s encouraging. I’m in 5a and I’ve got some seedlings that have been in the ground 4 years. Most experienced a little dieback the first year but have put on quite a bit of growth since then. No fruit/flowers yet though.

Talked to a property owner in town today with about 10 apple trees. Two were still holding a handful of apples today, though the freeze/thaw cycle has left them pretty ragged. They were both Honeygold.

One question that runs through my mind is, how long is too long?

I’d like provide some fruit through out the season, especially during the harshest time of winter. If apples haven’t drop by early March, they really aren’t doing too much good. I have two young goldrush trees than I purposely let a few apples mature just to see when they would drop. As of March 17, these “apples” continue to hold tight. I should say these apple skins hold tight because the flesh has rotted away, or been eaten by birds.

In my mind, there is a limit to how long I want a tree to hold apples. I have a feeling, most crabs are going to fit the bill, along with Ida Red and Galarina among others. Thankfully, I learn a lot from others experiences here without having to plant every variety! For me, two Goldrush are enough.

Goldrush March 17
Goldrush March 17.JPG

Last edited:
Those Honeygold's look as you describe. Once mine are producing I'll walk by them in February and shake them so the deer can get them.

Very lean year for apples. Most of my trees had few apples and I’m not sure why. Dabinette did well (photo). Green Hornet crab loaded again. Quite a few on Puget Spice crab. At home in NY, I had my first columnar seedling flower and fruit, small yellow crab still hanging.

New losses from my 2015 Cummins order, centennial crab and Stokes Red died.

Maybe next year will be the year I need to buy a cider press.
67D25094-9483-4F6F-9201-D6A70676DE55.jpeg

I found this thread informative in the past, so I'm reviving it. Here's what I noticed today:
Honeygolds: They have a lot of apples on them. Not sure how many they had initially, but they are still loaded.
Honeycrisps: Still loaded up pretty well. Typically mine trickle drop from about late September until sometime around mid-November, give or take.
Braeburn: Still loaded up pretty well, but based on history, probably not for much longer.
Fujis: All the apples have dropped already.
Golden Delicious: Didn't have many apples this year and those dropped already.
Haralsons: Didn't have many apples this year and a few of them are still hanging.
Northern Spy: I got my first apples on this tree finally, and the deer shook them all off a couple weeks ago. I never got to try one.
Sweet Sixteens: They are still loaded, though they normally drop all at once right about now if we get a strong wind.
Liberties: Seem to be holding pretty well.
Golden Hornets: Holding just fine.
Kieffer pears: I noticed quite a few hanging. I plucked one off a tree and it didn't take much force to detach it though.

I found this thread informative in the past, so I'm reviving it. Here's what I noticed today:
Honeygolds: They have a lot of apples on them. Not sure how many they had initially, but they are still loaded.
Honeycrisps: Still loaded up pretty well. Typically mine trickle drop from about late September until sometime around mid-November, give or take.
Braeburn: Still loaded up pretty well, but based on history, probably not for much longer.
Fujis: All the apples have dropped already.
Golden Delicious: Didn't have many apples this year and those dropped already.
Haralsons: Didn't have many apples this year and a few of them are still hanging.
Northern Spy: I got my first apples on this tree finally, and the deer shook them all off a couple weeks ago. I never got to try one.
Sweet Sixteens: They are still loaded, though they normally drop all at once right about now if we get a strong wind.
Liberties: Seem to be holding pretty well.
Golden Hornets: Holding just fine.
Kieffer pears: I noticed quite a few hanging. I plucked one off a tree and it didn't take much force to detach it though.
Golden Hornet is holding but also dropping. Haralson is done here but Haralred is holding some fruit. Liberty is done and I shook the last fruit from the tree.

Along with Yates Apple, several different persimmons and a few different pears, here are my others still hanging this year. Variety is the spice of life.

IMG_3544.jpegIMG_3571.jpeg

Last edited:
As of today:
The Kieffer pears are all down.
The Honeygolds are turning brown or black on the trees.
The Braeburn is still holding some, but not a lot.
Red Delicious are trickle dropping.
Sweet sixteens are almost bare.
Liberties have probably half to two-thirds still on them.

So dry here in Kansas worst fruit crop I have ever seen

Have some Arkansas Black apples finally.

Still hanging (not a shocker) on MO/IA border.

a3c06892b3e722d17e98afed6a874302.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well - we know why the limbs are drooping. Holy cow!!

That tree is impressive poorsand. Any idea what rootstock its on? You mentioned red delicious is trickle dropping. You have a pic of that one? Got a young red delicious I need to either give away or relocate.

Thought I made a mistake with ordering a galarina instead of winecrisp for a late dropping apple. Think I might be ok.

I got a spot at home where I want some trees that start dropping november or later. Got signal fire and AWHO in there so far, wouldn't mind 2 more over there.