All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mile-a-Minute

I wouldn't be able to drive, my commercial drivers license impairs my ability to drink alcohol.

Ok you're in the back with the spot light. Oh and the ice. Maybe the frog gig too.

I am with John-W-WI on this invasive. Here in Central WI I have never seen it.
This is why it's vital that posters show their general location. It really helps nail down how pertinent an issue may be to others that are reading it.

Ok you're in the back with the spot light. Oh and the ice. Maybe the frog gig too.
Can I come along, too? I'll pay the tab for fuel. It would be worth it.

Looks like they can be had from labs in NJ and DE. Don't know what the permit process is but it's worth a call or two if you have MAM like Tap does.

http://ag.udel.edu/enwc/research/biocontrol/mileaminute.htm
I just got done reading everything on that link (I even understood most of it!).
There were some things in that report that depressed me even more.
The one area with MAM that was replanted in native grasses and stuff was completely overtaken by MAM the following year! Did I read that correctly?
Green seeds are viable? DAMN!
Man, I knew this stuff was big trouble, but I now realize it's worse than I thought.

On the other hand, it was a bit "comforting" that, even though the seeds are viable for 6 years, most will germinate within 2 years. So if I can reduce my seed production (by hand pulling and herbicide use), then I should be able to put a dent in the reproduction of this crap a little soon than I thought, (or am I delusional?).

I was out again today pulling it for about 5 hours. Every corner I turn along my edges and all I can see is MAM...it's overwhelming.
Arms are all tore up once again. Pulled hawthorn and MFR thorns out of my hide this evening. And the miserable beggars lice is now mature, so my gloves and clothes are covered with that stuff.
The good news is I haven't gotten into any bees...YET.

I just got done reading everything on that link (I even understood most of it!).
There were some things in that report that depressed me even more.
The one area with MAM that was replanted in native grasses and stuff was completely overtaken by MAM the following year! Did I read that correctly?
Green seeds are viable? DAMN!
Man, I knew this stuff was big trouble, but I now realize it's worse than I thought.

On the other hand, it was a bit "comforting" that, even though the seeds are viable for 6 years, most will germinate within 2 years. So if I can reduce my seed production (by hand pulling and herbicide use), then I should be able to put a dent in the reproduction of this crap a little soon than I thought, (or am I delusional?).

I was out again today pulling it for about 5 hours. Every corner I turn along my edges and all I can see is MAM...it's overwhelming.
Arms are all tore up once again. Pulled hawthorn and MFR thorns out of my hide this evening. And the miserable beggars lice is now mature, so my gloves and clothes are covered with that stuff.
The good news is I haven't gotten into any bees...YET.

I don't recall reading native grasses were taken back over. I did read green seeds can be viable.
You're right the good news was that most seeds germinate in the first two years with the majority doing so on the first year.

I know I was joking about about how to round some up but not about actually doing so. I'm afraid it may be to late in the season for it to even be useful this year if they were found. If I get a chance (busy few weeks coming) I am going to scout some of those areas. The 2013 release on backneck road is my old stomping ground I know that area well.

Supawana and abbots meadows are also but it's been years since the weevil release, the MAM may be gone. I don't see any harm in moving some. They have been found in Cape May which is like 40 miles from the closest release sight so their out there now. Side note: I just got back from Cape May this weekend. Didn't even know to look for the weevil there but I can tell you there is no lack of MAM on the road to the lighthouse and the ferry.

I'm going to find some with holes in the leaves!

I think I have identified what it looks like. Seems to have a whitish appearance, flowering, at the ends now. I have seen plenty now around near where I live in NY and on the drive down to the farm in PA but no big monocultures. The worst is within a mile of my house on property owned by a local company. They own hundreds of acres and would not care about this. On my drive, I see most places having a bigger problem with wild grape or big stands of japanese knotweed. On our farm, stiltgrass, autumn olive, and barberry are my concerns but I'll keep an eye out for this in case it has a foothold somewhere..

Hey! Is this weevil sign? Looks like it from the pics on those links.
I have holes in leaves and stems. It's not enough to hurt the MAM yet, but maybe some weevils have migrated here are are beginning to take hold.
Pics aren't the greatest.
ce1efc596ddb81d99721be19585273ec.jpg
07d712c1e1d0a3a1dd587dd8252d4731.jpg
e911a82117dcd363fe8ed5d12e387d42.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The DCNR released some of those weevils somewhere between Bedford and Cumberland MD I think about 2 years ago. I haven't seen any signs of them at my property yet.

The DCNR released some of those weevils somewhere between Bedford and Cumberland MD I think about 2 years ago. I haven't seen any signs of them at my property yet.
So they HAVE been released in Pa? I thought I read something like that in that link.

Hey! Is this weevil sign? Looks like it from the pics on those links.
I have holes in leaves and stems. It's not enough to hurt the MAM yet, but maybe some weevils have migrated here are are beginning to take hold.
Pics aren't the greatest.

Could be. There are some pics of the weevils and the scar from the feeding larvae here
https://biocontrol.entomology.cornell.edu/weedfeed/Rhinoncomimus.php

I read somewhere to catch them they just shake areas of damage over a big funnel. May want to try and find some adults to be sure.

Yes PA has released some. There was a study at habitat island PA but I couldn't locate that on a map.

There's something else that occurred to me after reading that link. Since MAM is mostly a weed of edges and need sun, I'm betting the loss of ash trees will make the situation worse. There's a lot of "new" sun penetrating all throughout the woods. MAM prefers edge...well the Emerald Ash Borer has created a whole lot of new edge.

So they HAVE been released in Pa? I thought I read something like that in that link.

When I spoke with the DCNR either last summer or the summer before, can't remember for sure, they told me they released some around the Cumberland Dam Area. At that point they told me that they where not available to the general public.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Could be. There are some pics of the weevils and the scar from the feeding larvae here
https://biocontrol.entomology.cornell.edu/weedfeed/Rhinoncomimus.php

I read somewhere to catch them they just shake areas of damage over a big funnel. May want to try and find some adults to be sure.
Yeah, but I could not actually find any weevils. And you can bet that I was looking hard for them after I saw those holes.

All those release sites in S NJ are close to me. It may not be until spring but I'm finding some of those bugs. Curiosity at this point.
image.jpeg

All those release sites in S NJ are close to me. It may not be until spring but I'm finding some of those bugs. Curiosity at this point.
View attachment 14858
That map shows the closest release to me was at least 100 miles, but those releases were 10 years ago. Could they have spread my way that quickly? Or is it possible some unofficial releases were made?

A couple more thoughts on this...Part of the advice in fighting MAM in those links was to create shade where possible. That's pretty much just the opposite of what a lot of us land/deer managers are doing these days. Until I get my invasion under control, my days of hinge cutting and TSI are over. I won't be creating any more edge for a while.

Thanks for the heads-up Tap. I happened to notice some on one tree on my camp walk-about. Now that I know how nasty the stuff is, I'll get right on it with the Round-up, and keep an eye open for it elsewhere. Luckily, I only found it in the one spot, but where there is one, there is likely to be more. Hopefully I can keep it as a fairly isolated specimin.

Reactions: Tap
Thanks for the heads-up Tap. I happened to notice some on one tree on my camp walk-about. Now that I know how nasty the stuff is, I'll get right on it with the Round-up, and keep an eye open for it elsewhere. Luckily, I only found it in the one spot, but where there is one, there is likely to be more. Hopefully I can keep it as a fairly isolated specimin.
You're welcome.
Guys, I can't exaggerate how fast this stuff spreads. It should be named Mile-a-SECOND.
Don't ignore even the tiniest amount of the crap. You'll be sorry if you do.

https://www.eddmaps.org/midwest/distribution/

Originally a midwest mapping system but now nation wide for invasives, a pretty cool tool for showing distribution of invasives nationally, state to state and down to the county levels. MAM is in its inventory of invasives....
https://www.eddmaps.org/midwest/distribution/uscounty.cfm?sub=3065
https://www.eddmaps.org/midwest/distribution/viewmap.cfm?sub=3065

Reactions: Tap