Maple Valley Orchard - Scion wood

2ndHand

5 year old buck +
Any idea when Maple Valley Orchard will post their 2015 scion wood availability list? I emailed them a few times but never received a reply. I found a orchard in Colorado that has the variety I am seeking, but would prefer to buy locally.

Thanks!

Email and Tony Dembski are not a good match. Give them a call if you want timely info ;)

I'll give it a try - thanks!

Tony is a crotchety dude...but the guy knows fruit trees.

I'll keep that in mind when I make the call...;) Thank you!

I'm looking at a few of their varieties anyone in the twin cities area want to go in together and save on shipping?

If I was closer I would

I found a orchard in Colorado that has the variety I am seeking, but would prefer to buy locally.

I assume you are referring to Masonville Orchard? I used them last year and was happy with my transaction and Walt is easy to talk to on the phone. I wouldnt be hung up on the "local" aspect unless you are talking about say MN/WI area vs Florida.

I assume you are referring to Masonville Orchard? I used them last year and was happy with my transaction and Walt is easy to talk to on the phone. I wouldnt be hung up on the "local" aspect unless you are talking about say MN/WI area vs Florida.

Turkey Creek, Thanks for the info on Masonville Orchard!! (that's the one I was referring to). I think I will go ahead and place my order with them since I know they have what I am seeking. One of the varieties I plan to graft next year is Empire (about 10 of them). That variety was not available at Maple Valley during 2014 , but I was hoping it was going to be offered in 2015.

Thanks Again...;)

Turkey Creek - I emailed Walt and receive a prompt reply, he will have the varieties I am seeking - Thanks for the suggestion!

No problem glad I could help. If i need to order any this year I will go that route again myself.

Maple Valley still not updated. Last year he told me I would get the scions when the snow melted and he could get to the orchard. Might be same this year again with all this cold weather up in WI. He does have a great selection. I have a lot of wood if anyone needs

aerospacefarmer, Did you ever get the scion wood from Maple Valley? Now I'm rethinking my order from him. I was thinking of ordering about 8 different kinds from him.
Do you have a list of your varieties? Maybe you already have some of them to share.
I've got 25 rootstocks coming from Cummins and this is a couple of the more random scions I'm looking for:
Pitmaston Pineapple
Calville Blanc d Hiver
Golden Russet
Kinsei
Bell-De Boskoop
Minnesota 1734
Pink Pearl
Thornberry Crab
Northern Spy
Kerr Crab
Black Oxford
Frostbite

Red
I have a few of those that I got from the scion exchange here last year and I bought the Belle de Boskoop from maple valley last year and they both took so next year am hoping for some scion wood. I do have Northern Spy and Kerr I could send you so shoot me a pm and we can get that done. I know Crazy Ed had Frostbite, Black Oxford and Golden Russett last year as he sent to me and I successfully grafted all of those and again should have next year I hope assuming they survive the winter

Do you have any scions available for swap?

Paul

Yeah I have Black Oxford, Frostbite, kerr and northern spy. I don't have Golden Russett, I have Roxburry. Or maybe HAD is a better term, I lost that tree last winter. However I did graft one that is in my garden, but it will be a while before i have scions available again.

Great, thanks. I'll get you my info. I'll still put in an order with Maple Valley to get some of the other kinds.
I don't have a lot of scion wood yet as I just planted my first trees last year.
I do have lots of 2 kinds of random crabs but they drop early September

Planted last year:
Chestnut Crab
Fireside
Honeycrisp
Honey Gold
Sweet 16
Snowsweet
Liberty
Mt. Royal Plum
Contender Peach

Have ordered from Cummins this year:
Ashmeads Kernel
Dolgo Crab
Frostbite
Liberty
Honeycrisp
Roxbury Russet
Wickson Crab
Being young trees I don't think I will be able to cut much if any scions from them but if there is something that want, let me know and I'll try and get some wood for you.

I just got an email from Tony at Maple Valley and he said the 2015 scionwood list is online now. Just checked and it is there

I talked to him last week and he mentioned that he was going to post it soon. I'm bummed that he doesn't have any Pitsmaston Pineapple. Not really a wildlife apple but I thought it would be a fun novelty one to try. I asked him on the phone call how those tasted and he said he hadn't tried it yet. Guess it's hard to try them all when you have as many as he does.

I talked to Tony yesterday and he confirmed my order. This is what I am trying on B118 this year for grafting. Now I need SLN to confirm my order and I will be locked in with my trees for 2015.

Minnesota 1734
Ashmeads Kernel
Tollman Sweet
Northwest Greening
Hidden Rose
Golden Sweet
Northern Spy
Prairie Spy
Honey Gold
IDA-Red
Hudson Golden Gem
Zestar