Made it to the farm today

Welcome back to MO!

looks good Bill !

You are going to be tired for the next few days. Hopefully the rain stays away and you can get what you want done.

I'm with you though, if it doesn't get done the world will NOT end!

Stay safe.

-John

Welcome back to MO!

Thanks, they could have turned the heat off for me. Inside taking a break its 90 out there.

Hooked up the sprayer to hit the rye but it was to high. Kept bending the boom arms in.
Heck with I rolled and drilled using my FEL to knock the rye down. After my little break I'll go back and spray.

image.jpeg

Good thing I was going slow. I thought I was going to have to tackle this guy to get it out of the rye. It finally cooperated and I chased it into the next field.

image.jpeg

Thats what I was afraid of when you post about rolling the rye. Last Saturday went out to spray rye and ran over one with the atv. Had a close encounter with second fawn. Brush hog will stay in barn a couple weeks.

Bill, have you ever left your rye standing and drilled brassica through it in July?

Thats what I was afraid of when you post about rolling the rye. Last Saturday went out to spray rye and ran over one with the atv. Had a close encounter with second fawn. Brush hog will stay in barn a couple weeks.

Glad that didn't happen!

Bill, have you ever left your rye standing and drilled brassica through it in July?

No but that sounds like a good idea.

Looks like that rye is headed out,don't you worry about it spreading.I know here some farmers are using rye in their cover crop and not getting it killed before it heads and they are spraying with paraquat.It looks dead for a couple weeks then turns green.Rye is spreading to neighboring fields

Looks like that rye is headed out,don't you worry about it spreading.I know here some farmers are using rye in their cover crop and not getting it killed before it heads and they are spraying with paraquat.It looks dead for a couple weeks then turns green.Rye is spreading to neighboring fields

they must be using rye grass. This is cereal rye, it's an annual grain like oats and won't blow to neighboring fields. I've never had any problems with it coming back. Been doing this for years. Great organic matter and lots of straw mulch to hold the moisture in the dirt.

Did you take the day off today or what?

Where are the cool pictures of the day?

We need more!

I have waited until the rye dried & seeded out in July. Then knocked it over flattening it. I broad casted turnip & clover. Both did well and the rye seed germinated also. A no till method.

I have waited until the rye dried & seeded out in July. Then knocked it over flattening it. I broad casted turnip & clover. Both did well and the rye seed germinated also. A no till method.

Thanks, I'm going to try it next month. I'm hoping I don't get too much rye seed germination.

Did you take the day off today or what?

Where are the cool pictures of the day?

We need more!

Boring unfun stuff. I sprayed all my clover then spent a few hours cleaning the barn so I could find shit. :)

The only pic I took was of this mulberry. I actually got to eat a few ripe ones. That hasn't happened in years

image.jpeg

This is from the other day. I thought a limb broke an was blocking my camera. When I went to cut it it wasn't there???
Look close there is a coon on the limb reaching out for my mulberrys.

image.png

This guy went for the ones he could reach this morning.

image.png

So I did two things today I was never going to do.

I dug the disk out of the bushes. I want to fertilize and with no rain in the forecast I want to be able to cover it.

And I played with fire.

Took forever to,disk a fire break on this field I hit with gly two days ago.

image.jpeg

There was lots of dead liter in the field made disking it nearly impossible.

image.jpeg

I swore I'd never do this but I've learned enough around here from you guys that do burn to use a fire break and start down wind.

image.jpeg

Turned out ok.

image.jpeg

So I did two things today I was never going to do.

I dug the disk out of the bushes. I want to fertilize and with no rain in the forecast I want to be able to cover it.

And I played with fire.

Took forever to,disk a fire break on this field I hit with gly two days ago.

View attachment 13406

There was lots of dead liter in the field made disking it nearly impossible.

View attachment 13405

I swore I'd never do this but I've learned enough around here from you guys that do burn to use a fire break and start down wind.

View attachment 13404

Turned out ok.

View attachment 13403
You are more brave than me!

Looks good though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You putting the beets in?

You putting the beets in?

That's the plan but I'm already late and there is no real rain in the 10 day. Which means the seed is just going to lay there.
If I chicken out I'll put brassica's in in July.

But heck I got the seed so.....

Started this morning with a visit to my fertilizer guy. Hey bueller, I only spread 450 lbs total but this beats the heck out of a shovel :). Took longer to go get it and return the cart then to spread it. But hey....no shovel.

image.jpeg

Disked in the fertilizer and drilled some beets. I love the look of drill lines. Come on Mother Nature, I did my part.

image.jpeg

This 1/3 acre is on my neighbors place that we lease. He planted all corn this year which is fine for late season but not much food for the summer. I broadcasted 2 bags of beans and the hit it with gly. If they come up they will be decimated.

I'll follow with brasicas or rye.
Why does everything take twice as much time as you thought it would?

image.jpeg

I didn't get to mow the MG grass but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything. New grass is coming right up through the old.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Thats more like it Bill. Thanks for the pic fix.