Low recoiling gun for kids?

foggy

5 year old buck +
Every year somebody asks about low-recoil guns for women and kids.....or otherwise sensitive shooters. I was just reading about the Ruger 77/357 Model Rifles in an article from the "Rifleman" on the web.

These guns have a synthetic stock, stainless steel, bolt action, a nine round rotary magazine, only weigh 5 lbs, short 18" bbl, and come with scope rings. Putting a good 357 cartridge into a rifle really ups the useful power and range of this cartridge.

In addition to the longer barrel time to gain velocity, it eliminates pressure losses from the cylinder gap.....common when the round is used in revolvers. IIRC....the ballistics and effective ranges are similar to the 30/30.....and you have a big (38 cal) bullet hole...which should anchor the deer. About 2400 FPS with 158 gn bullets! Claim they shoot accurately out to 150 yards or so....plenty range in the woods. Low noise too.

Kinda fascinated with this set-up.....and wonder if anyone has any experience with it?? If I had a youngster going after a first deer....I believe I'd give this a run. I've come to appreciate these pistol cartridges in carbines.....just as the cowboys did. Tho....my carbines are lever actions....and don't have scopes and the accuracy of these guns. ;)

Very good for home defense and as a trail gun in the "off seasons". Food for thought.....

OH.....and a wide variety of readily available ammo to suit almost any need.

Foggy - Not alot of exp on my end with this, but what worked best for my boy was he uses my break-open style smokepole (50 cal bore - use 45 cal sabot). Its heavy enough to reduce recoil, I can tame the load down, and it's 1 shot, it also gives him more time in the field (general firearms is 2 weeks long and muzzleloader only is an additional 2 weeks). As it turns out my son has shot and taken more deer with my smokepole than I have! In fact all the deer he has taken but 1 has been with my muzzleloader. The thing is he isn't affraid of it and he knows he has one shot - so no "spray and pray". He started before my state allowed ANY sort of rifle to be used. IMO - nothing ruins your shooting form like being affraid of the gun your using!

One of my friends purchased used bolt 30-30's for his kids. I think Savage and Stevens used to make them.

Pistol cartridges in carbines? I remember my Dad driving an icy road to Blackduck, Mn. in mid Dec. to pick up an auto-loading Ruger .44 for my Grandpa. It was probably 1966,67 or so and the Pennington road was full of deer. In those days you bought your guns at the local hardware store and they would call other hardware stores for you to find the gun you wanted. I believe the Gambles store called Blackduck and found the gun.

What a different world!

Don't get the different pistol loads mixed up with your rifle loads. We found out!

Don't overlook a .410/45 Long Colt caliber firearm. I don't own this gun, but you can shoot both out it.
http://www.onlinegundeals.com/ItemDetails/749661589/ROSSI_CIRCUIT_JUDGE_45COLT_410G_NEW.htm

I try to limit the number of ammo types in the collection, but this is one that I do have in pistols and shotguns. I'm a big fan of the Judges and Governors. When I get down that far on my wish list, I'm going to get a Henry lever action .45LC. Nothing like a big bullet moving nice and slow to do some maximum whackage.

http://www.onlinegundeals.com/ItemDetails/760466441/HENRY_BIG_BOY_LEVER_ACTION_45COLT_CAL_NEW.htm

I'm not too sure what the recoil would be like, but shooting .45LC outta my Cimmaron single action army is very doable on recoil. I have to imagine it's even easier on a long gun.

One of my friends purchased used bolt 30-30's for his kids. I think Savage and Stevens used to make them.

Pistol cartridges in carbines? I remember my Dad driving an icy road to Blackduck, Mn. in mid Dec. to pick up an auto-loading Ruger .44 for my Grandpa. It was probably 1966,67 or so and the Pennington road was full of deer. In those days you bought your guns at the local hardware store and they would call other hardware stores for you to find the gun you wanted. I believe the Gambles store called Blackduck and found the gun.

What a different world!

Don't get the different pistol loads mixed up with your rifle loads. We found out!
Winchester model 54 (a bolt action rifle) came in .30-30.....my first deer rifle. Carbine length. I still love that rifle. Mauser style action as well.