Lots of B118 rootstock

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
Well I couldn't resist myself
Talked to Burnt Ridge today and they said they had 700 B118 rootstocks if anyone needs some. They are $2.50/root
I went ahead and ordered a handful along with some OHxF 97 pear roots.
Just FYI for anyone looking for a co that does small orders

I order some b118 from them last year and I was impressed with the root system they had.

I did too. Their B118 was nice with good roots but the Antonovka was really impressive. They are not lying when they say "carrot like roots"

Thanks Jordan!

Good to know. Thanks, Jordan !!

That explains where all the roots went then! I ordered a couple of plums for my house from there last year and was shocked at the stock they sent me. Looked like broom handles with almost no roots. I talked to the owner and wasnt impressed with his attitude, so lets just say he was not kept on my list of places to do business with. I am sure the rootstocks are fine as I would guess they came from one of the major growers.

That sucks TC, I've been there before!

Has anyone just planted the B118 rootstock and later T-bud to the rootstock in a year or two?

You can probably t bud the 2nd summer, maybe the 3rd too. Depends on how much they grow and mature. But at some point you'll need cleft graft in the spring instead or t bud higher up on younger wood.

James any reason why you are waiting to t bud? I planted some 118 rootstocks in the spring and then t budded to them later that same year. Just water them really well before you graft so the bark slips easily.

I just wasn't sure how long I'd have to wait....since I've never planted just b118 rootstock. I was thinking it might take awhile to get to an appropriate diameter to t bud....actually I guess I didn't think very much about it, was curious if others t bud directly to bud 118. I've done a bunch of tbudding to crab rootstock and have always wondered why more people don't TBud.

Rootstock would be good to t bud this year if you buy from a retailer. If you buy from a wholesaler, you can specify the diameter rootstock you want. The smallest 1/8" might not be ready to Tbud this year. The largest could almost be too big.

T budding is easy but it is difficult to trade and buy budwood. Much easier to handle dormant scionwood so that is what people learn and stick with for grafting. Plus you get a year of growth of your graft vs tbud. T budding is an excellent way to regraft those that did not take if you have the budwood.