Cummins poor customer service

Hi Everybody, This is my first time on a discussion forum. The prevailing wisdom in the new world of social media and instant discussions is for a business to not respond. I guess I am breaking this bit of wisdom. Rather than get into a he said, she said debate with Dipper, I will try to address a few horticultural issues instead.

Rootstocks..... MM111, M.7, MM.106, M.9, M.26.... These are all clonal rootstocks and are grown in stool beds. One of the traits that these rootstocks exhibit is the ability to send out roots and the ability to sucker. Suckering and root initiation are really nice for the rootstock grower, but they are not desirable in the orchard. Burr knots or root initials can really be a problem on these rootstocks http://www.extension.org/pages/60605/burr-knots-on-apple-trees#.VXzR6edF9sU The Geneva rootstocks are great in the orchard for many reasons, but they are not friendly to either nurseries or rootstock propagators. One of the traits that Dad (Dr. Jim Cummins) selected against were burr knots. Burr knots are super for easy and heavy rooting, hence a beautiful looking stock such as MM.111 for the grafter. Geneva rootstocks do not have big heavy root systems as a general rule. Because they do not have heavy root systems, they require extra care at the time of grafting and especially at the time of planting. OHF pears are produced via hardwood cuttings. A cutting is taken from an established mother plant and is then rooted. The rooted cutting is then grown for a full season. OHF pears have a very coarse root system (not many small fibrous roots that look so nice on MM.111) Like the Geneva rootstocks, pears must also be given extra care at the time of planting and subsequent weeks. Essentially, different rootstocks are different.

Replacement policy..... When there is an issue we like to look at each case individually. Unlike many of the large nurseries, we don't simply send a replacement tree. Unless there are multiple reports of a variety/rootstock combination having trouble, we ask that the customer assume some of the risk of survival. If we feel that the customer is probably at fault, we ask that they assume the cost of shipping, and we will assume the cost of replacement. Planting a tree is like following a souffle recipe. Not performing one step properly can cause the souffle to fail.

Customers and Service.... I doubt if there is a nursery in the country that gives more service than Cummins Nursery. When you call or write to us, you are not communicating with a secretary, you are communicating with Alan, Tino, Dr. Cummins or myself.... a lot of experience. Literally, tens of thousands of emails and phone calls each year and we grow the trees! Most of our customers purchase less than 100 trees at a time so the "little grower" is our bread and butter. We think that our customers have the coolest hobby that there is and this is why we give as much personal touch as we can.
Dipper, I'm sorry that you had an unpleasant experience with us. You lost 4 OHF rootstocks out of 10. You wanted a refund. I stated that we would ship you 4 replacements next spring if you would cover the cost of the shipping (or throw them in with an additional order). I did go out and check the OHF rootstocks in our nursery that we planted a month ago. Your stock and our stock were all from the same source that we bought in from the west coast. Out of 1500 (ungrafted stock or liners) planted we lost 3 so I stand by my statement that something on your end was probably to blame. Pear stock are not the easiest to transplant and when you throw a graft onto the plant that is just one more step for failure. On the bright side you did get 6 out of 10 to survive and that really is pretty good for a pear graft. I hope we can shake virtual hands and move on.

Thanks for your time everyone.

Steve Cummins

Thanks for the post Steve, and welcome to the forum. I know you're a busy guy and have a busy crew but if you guys ever have time to swing by and post some tidbits, we would love to hear it!
Thanks!

Hope he actually participates on the forum and not just once to do damage control!

I was thinking the same thing Mo! I understand he is likely very busy, but even a post or 2 per week would be a nice addition to the forum.

Hope he actually participates on the forum and not just once to do damage control!
It's kinda funny, There wasn't any word about a return policy till I dropped the forums, and my involvement. I explained to him what I was going to do, and he shows up. Glad to see he respects the forum. His response had nothing to do with our conversation, or his customer service. I know we were the only 2 involved in the conversation. I am a demanding customer, who refuses to spend bad money, and he didn't like it. Some of you aren't, that doesn't bother me.
I know people are in love with the company. I only have a high level of commitment to my wife, some family, and a friend or two. Rose colored glasses are nice, but you have to see the picture when The sun goes away.

It's kinda funny, There wasn't any word about a return policy till I dropped the forums, and my involvement. I explained to him what I was going to do, and he shows up. Glad to see he respects the forum. His response had nothing to do with our conversation, or his customer service. I know we were the only 2 involved in the conversation. I am a demanding customer, who refuses to spend bad money, and he didn't like it. Some of you aren't, that doesn't bother me.
I know people are in love with the company. I only have a high level of commitment to my wife, some family, and a friend or two. Rose colored glasses are nice, but you have to see the picture when The sun goes away.

Of course there wasn't any word on the return policy, he just thought you were another tree dooble trying something you had no idea about.

But I know if I was Steve, and I have done this myself, I would tell you to pound sand, and send your check back if you tried to buy again.

Of course there wasn't any word on the return policy, he just thought you were another tree dooble trying something you had no idea about.

But I know if I was Steve, and I have done this myself, I would tell you to pound sand, and send your check back if you tried to buy again.
He's never gonna hear from me again. We're not gonna argue "over 4 measly rootstock". Steve knows what the quotes mean.

A couple of years ago, I ordered several trees from Cummin's, two of which were Enterprise on B118 rootstock. Unfortunately, even though I watered and cared for the trees properly, one of them died. I emailed Cummin's and requested a replacement. After answering several of Steve's questions and emailing a picture of the dead tree, they sent me a replacement tree with my next order. In almost ten years of dealings with Cummins, I've been very satisfied with their service, often changing and substituting one tree for another, adding or subtracting trees from my order, I've found the entire crew to be very helpful.

A couple of years ago, I ordered several trees from Cummin's, two of which were Enterprise on B118 rootstock. Unfortunately, even though I watered and cared for the trees properly, one of them died. I emailed Cummin's and requested a replacement. After answering several of Steve's questions and emailing a picture of the dead tree, they sent me a replacement tree with my next order. In almost ten years of dealings with Cummins, I've been very satisfied with their service, often changing and substituting one tree for another, adding or subtracting trees from my order, I've found the entire crew to be very helpful.
This is what I was kinda working, which is fair. Paying for a tree that isn't going to live, is a scam! I must have caught him on a child support week or something?

This is what I was kinda working, which is fair. Paying for a tree that isn't going to live, is a scam! I must have caught him on a child support week or something?
Dipper give it a rest. You made your point now just let it go. You said you are done with Cummins so fine. The more you respond here the more I wonder if Steve ever said the things you said he did. Be a man and move on

Thanks

His thread, Dipper can do what he wants.

Dipper give it a rest. You made your point now just let it go. You said you are done with Cummins so fine. The more you respond here the more I wonder if Steve ever said the things you said he did. Be a man and move on

Thanks
Rose colored glasses hahahaha

Sure he can MO but I can say what I like to also and am trying to keep this forum positive and upbeat as it has been since its inception. I am sure Dipper can speak for himself as well !!!!!

Come on you guys, lets hug!
9aca65198cbda9108461c09c0e05a29b.jpg

This thread would have been positive if 2 things would have occurred: I would have received an apology for a crappy product, and received a refund.
That was cummins choice, I got ripped off, and I don't like it. The purpose of the thread was to prevent the next guy from getting ripped off. That's why I started it, because cummins cares less about "4 rootstock".

Not in love with the company - but I won't join the shelling when they've treated me fine in every instance. I think we can see clearly now.

Steves standing by his "loose" policy; stating he sells a product known to have rooting problems, I messed up. We are simply going to agree to disagree.
the next guy has to remember, cummins will blame the customer. If that's who you want to buy from, don't say you weren't warned. I'm not claiming to be an expert, none of us are. I've been grafting for only 3 years, roughly 200 trees under my belt, but these were the first trees to never break bud.
There are a lot safer ways of purchasing trees, for your average Joe.

Did the tree (scion you grafted) not break bud or was the rootstock dead from the start?
Rootstock has showed no signs of life, the buds on the scion swelled more than the rootstock. The scions had damn near the same amount of roots as the stock. Haha
I think one has a green cambium layer right now cause I scuffed it with my fingernail. So that one has a chance, but still hasn't show swollen buds.
Like I said, I should have sent the garbage back right away. That's were I screwed up.

Rather than attempting to switch anybody's opinion here, you'd be better off reporting your experience at Garden Watchdog. Everybody here likely already has decided to either order from them...or not.
I agree how dead can you beat the Dead horse!!!!!!

The Average Joe does not graft. He might but he didn't see rootstock for sale at Home Depot. Instead he bought a dwarf Red Delicious and a Bartlett. They'll pollinate each other, right?