All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lime & Young Trees

greyphase

5 year old buck +
Would it be all right to spread some Hi-Mag lime around apple trees that I planted last fall? I know not to fertilize them till next spring but was wondering if some lime would hurt them.

Rick

What is the current ph in that area?

What is the current ph in that area?

Don't have the paperwork handy, but I did have a soil test done and the ph was low for apple trees.

I can't see an issue using a small amount around each tree, I don't think I would allow it to directly contact the trunk or any foliage. We had 6 apple trees on our old place, but they were not very successful until about year 10 or so, due to our crappy soil. I also have no idea what rootstock they were on. CrazyEd hadn't perfected his sand-apple planting method back when we put these in the ground! LOL We would use one of those cheap $20 green Scotts hand crank spreaders and put down one full "tub" of lime around them each fall after they went dormant, but we were on beach sand and our ph was terrible.

I used a 3" earth auger to dig some holes under my apple trees and put some lime down those holes. Also been liming around the perimeter.....and pounded some fruit tree fertilizer spikes in the soil at the drip line. All of this advice came from Sandbur. Also took care in planting with lime and amendments......and fenced and screened my trees appropriately. Spread a few handfuls of fertilizer around the trees each year for the past 4 years or so. Still....no fruit.

Now.....if I don't get apples this year......I am about to give up on my ideas about apples in my sandy soils. Ive spent allot of money with little to show for it.

I used a 3" earth auger to dig some holes under my apple trees and put some lime down those holes. Also been liming around the perimeter.....and pounded some fruit tree fertilizer spikes in the soil at the drip line. All of this advice came from Sandbur. Also took care in planting with lime and amendments......and fenced and screened my trees appropriately. Spread a few handfuls of fertilizer around the trees each year for the past 4 years or so. Still....no fruit.

Now.....if I don't get apples this year......I am about to give up on my ideas about apples in my sandy soils. Ive spent allot of money with little to show for it.
I am right there with you. I am going into year three of fruit tree plantings. I have followed every step mentioned and I still have no proof I can get a tree through winter unharmed. I am hopefully that I have taken the steps to get them through this winter. I still have no plan on how to prevent browsing in year 3-? I may just have to shoot the last couple deer left then I won't have to worry about cages and browsing

Don't believe everything that Sandbur guy told you...

I am going to hit my trees with more inlime and am going to try 2 more trees in the north property, It has been a real struggle.

I have not seen any wild crabs north of Brainerd. Last night I talked to a buddy who is a forestry technician in the area northwest of you and he has never seen a wild crab apple in all of his years in the woods. His area is some of that Potlatch land being converted to taters.

No wild crab apples might indicate it will be a real struggle.

Don't have the paperwork handy, but I did have a soil test done and the ph was low for apple trees.

So you're doing it for the pH? I would say yes, a little... but don't forget that in order to do much with pH you'll generally need lots of lime.

NOW, if you're doing it for Ca and Mg, then I'd say go for it! Both of those are needed for regular growth.

Just a mile to the north of my land......there is an apple orchard - with signs and all. Art......you and I should make a trip to visit those owners one day. Maybe we (you) could learn more about apples in the north woods for the benefit of others (like me).

Funny how I always want to do this.....but keep forgetting to get it done. :( Maybe next time I do a "land tour" I could recruit these folks to talk about apple trees in the north.

Just a mile to the north of my land......there is an apple orchard - with signs and all. Art......you and I should make a trip to visit those owners one day. Maybe we (you) could learn more about apples in the north woods for the benefit of others (like me).

Funny how I always want to do this.....but keep forgetting to get it done. :( Maybe next time I do a "land tour" I could recruit these folks to talk about apple trees in the north.

Email me with their name, please.
We should visit with them.

^ Art. I just went to this site:www.minnesotagrown.com

It shows all the apple orchards in the state of mn. INTERESTING SITE!! The name of the orchard at Jenkins MN is Red Barn Orchard. Will read more on it soon. Check the site listed above.

Red Barn also has a website:www.redbarnorchard.com

Surfing around the "minnesota grown" website.......I located an orchard near Aitkin that sells a variety of apple trees: http://gilbysorchard.com/bare-root

They have Dolgo crab trees and many others that are made for the northern climate. Might be more sources from the MN Grown website (above).

Gilby's also has an orchard just north of Stu's. They are cousins of some sorts. I read where the one by Stu's was feeding apples to his cattle.

I once had requested a few trees from one of them, but they did not come through with the trees. No money exchanged on my part.

Tom-I also have talked to a guy that has an orchard at Little Falls. he told me Norland came through last winter the best and produced apples.

I also talked to Mr. Perkins who used to have the Crosslake nursery if you remember it. He later lived north of your hunting land. He sold me some trees and liked the land series. Norland, Goodland, etc. I think he sold me the hazen that I have.

That Gilby's website lists the variety and the rootstock of their offerings. Sounds like they know apples....and the cold country.

I had dealt with one of the G nurseries a few years ago and ended up not buying anything from them. I probably would not deal with them again.

Go to Huls instead.

I'm not buying any apple trees from anybody at this point. I was just posting their site(s). Looks like they grow lots of fruit in my neighborhood.....and most of the soils here are pretty light.

No offense intended, Tom. I appreciate the information.
I would not buy from them at this point.

Stu - Never heard the term - what's ramial ??? Woody mulch ??

I was checking into the ramial wood chips for the old man's place before he sold it. I remembered you saying something about it when we were discussing getting wood and leaf litter from Adams Co.