All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latex Paint

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
If you paint the trunk of your tree with latex paint will that alone protect it from absorption of Gly-41 used to kill grass and weeds around the base of the tree throughout the year. I have been using a flexible piece of plastic sheeting to shied tree from spray but with limbs tied down to train and the wire cages that is a pain to do.

Come on some expert has to know the answer to this one. I saw a guy on Youtube who said it would protect them, but then again I also saw a guy on Youtube who said you can cross an elephant and german shepherd. So I decided to ask this group just to be safe.

It may be that nobody has tried it. Next step might be that you become the pioneer. I've got a few wild ideas going like that myself this year.

It might work, but I would try it on a tree that I was ok with losing, just in case it was an epic fail.

Well I think I will trust this group more than Mr. Youtube. My educated guess is similar to others. I would think it would help, but am hesitant to rely on it entirely. I also don't have any TEST trees I am willing to chance. I think I will apply it and just try to be careful with the GLY. All of my trees are in larger foodplots. Therefore, everytime I seed plots I get seed in the cages. It is just hard to keep all grass and clover out.

What are the disadvantages of lumite woven other than a great place for mice and critters to crawl under.

What are the disadvantages of lumite woven other than a great place for mice and critters to crawl under.

I have no idea why, but I have 3 acres covered with fabric for the nursery and have NEVER had a mouse/vole issue with damaging plants.

When I first installed the nursery, I put canisters of poison out expecting problems. Didn't have any. For the last 3 or 4 years I haven't done anything. I get rabbits that come in and munch on the bark and branches, but nothing else. And I KNOW mice live in the nursery (I have much of the fabric covered with wood shavings) because I've had a battle in the cabin with mice ever since I installed the nursery.

-John

All things that could be mitigated with a well trained platoon of cats and dogs.

All things that could be mitigated with a well trained platoon of cats and dogs.
I'm wondering how you train a cat to be a mouser? Fat and lazy cat remains a fat and lazy cat in most cases. Reminds me of many problems in our country.

Last year I tried heavy cardboard around my apple trees and then covered the cardboard with cedar wood chips. Some of that cardboard even has some sort of coating on it. I am sure lumite would last longer, but I am cheap. I say thrifty, my wife says cheap.

Why couldn't you use silt fence? It is inexpensive and the same material. I don't know the permissible flow volume on your item. Perhaps it is greater than silt fence.

I'm wondering how you train a cat to be a mouser? Fat and lazy cat remains a fat and lazy cat in most cases. Reminds me of many problems in our country.

Last year I tried heavy cardboard around my apple trees and then covered the cardboard with cedar wood chips. Some of that cardboard even has some sort of coating on it. I am sure lumite would last longer, but I am cheap. I say thrifty, my wife says cheap.
All starts with a good mother cat, rationed food, and outdoor living. Then you gotta take em hunting. We had some lazy ones on the farm, but we also had some fantastic predators.