Late Winter Food Sources

Spiider

5 year old buck +
We all know the importance of keeping deer fed throughout the year. I was reminded of this when taking my oldest son out rabbit hunting a couple weeks ago.

This 1st picture is of my Winter Rye plot. Notice very few tracks behind him. This was a couple days after a decent accumulation of snow. Note - I ran out of Radish or I would have put some down when I planted this mix.

The 2nd picture is of the Brassica plot. Even though you can see the tremendous amount of tracks, the picture doesn't do justice of just how used it is. While the tops of the Radish and Turnips are long gone, the deer are still devouring the bulbs buried under the snow. History tells me that by the time I'm ready to plant a cover crop here in the Spring, this plot will be depleted.

The last picture is the result of our afternoons trek through the deep snow. His 1st rabbit! :)

Attachments

• WP_20150221_011.jpg
    WP_20150221_011.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 51
  • WP_20150221_009.jpg
    WP_20150221_009.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 52
  • WP_20150221_006.jpg
    WP_20150221_006.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 52
Nice Spiider! Glad to see the young ones having a successful hunt! Great job dad!

It's always good to see them using your plots like that, Congrats to your son!

First of all - great job taking the boy out and getting a rabbit.

Now it's funny now things can be different. My brassica are all brown and soggy and the deer didn't really touch them much - before or after the snow - instead they are pawing thru the snow for what left over corn they can find right now. I have never had much luck with brassica - appin, purple top or radishes - the deer just don't use them much here. I still plant them thinking that some day they will eat them - good thing they are cheap.

Great job Spiider on getting your son involved.

Seems like variety is the spice of life in deer plots.

Looks like the young lad had a great time! Congrats to him!

Great shooting young man !! Nice rabbit !!

It seems deer in some areas prefer brassicas, some W rye, some corn, some W wheat. Different areas - different tastes. It may change from one year to another depending on rain, heat, etc., and which plot does the best. Look how some mixed plots have the deer eat the heck out of 1 or 2 types of plants and ignore the rest. At least they're there and eating !!

Sounds like a great area for food NoFo. Deer must be livin' large around your place !! What's your avg. deer weight ?? Roughly........

Looks good spider. Turnips and radishes get hammered hard in my plots also.