Kicked off 2016 planting yesterday

mikmaze

5 year old buck +
With a lot of bumps in the road this season, I finally got my first seed in the ground for the season yesterday. I had tractor troubles, indecision on what to plant where..... weather... even a detour on the way to get there yesterday. But low and behold, I got 200 lbs of oats in, and 5 pounds of Kale. I had run the disc when tractor wast clutch locked up, and re hit those 2 plots to soften, then put 50 lbs of oats on each. Tried to disc third plot that I had plowed the week before, and got disc stuck, twice GOt that out, and headed for another drier plot and disced that once. Headed for my 3 point rake the rake to knock the muddy plot smooth enough for planting and put 100 lbs of oats there, to be followed by ptt when I get the seed, thought I had some left from last year. Got done what I needed to do, and headed home. I woke to a rainy day today, should have those oats pop within a week. First try on spring planted oats, Looking to build organic material, and provide a bit of cover for the Kale and turnips. If the oats do well those plots will stand till next spring.

Good to get out and get things started.

I hope all this moisture gives all those seeds a good kick, and gets them going strong. wet, Wet, and WET all week so far. going to be a while till I can get on top of the soil again.

Pretty wet here in MI also, it'll be a a little while before I get on my plots.

tgif, off to CT tomorrow for a funeral, then back in time to hopefully get some time in at the habitat property, I will try to get some pictures with the new galaxy s7, and maybe do a bit of spraying., a few areas need an oz per gallon of gly to knock down competition.

oats and kale giving it their best.

20160515_131835_zpsfhtfybzs.jpg

last years crimson clover and turnips in yellow bloom, and some yellow rocket. I think there is some wheat in there too

20160515_133158_zpsvd9ta0so.jpg

That 2nd pic is beautiful.

I would highly consider planting buckwheat next year if you are looking to build organic matter. You can plant now the bag of seed you paid for and in six weeks have a residual seed crop after disc/tilling come mid July that can be tilled in four weeks later.

I have planted bw in the past, it came up quick, did its thing, and seemed to go away fast, never seemed like it had left much behind. What it did do was fast I suppose.

first shot, same patch of ww and cc, now both in full seed, I might not need seed for this plot, might just add PTT to it when it is ready.
20160605_124245_zpsaahdwasq.jpg

forth shot, oats and kale, this was 14 dollar a bag oats, 50 lb bags. doing way better than imagined, evidence of browse, and should add a lot of organic content when it comes time to turn it under next spring.
20160605_121727_zps3rrfqhk0.jpg

second shot is my vns alfalfa, up to 18 inches tall, bit of competition from yellow rocket, and horse nettle, but overall doing real well

20160605_130328_zpsntdg0ndu.jpg

third shot, sweet yellow clover, at about 3 to 4 feet, doing well but not sure on deer seeing it as food or not.
20160605_130727_zpsmykg9bj8.jpg

That looks good!

Thanks Bill, seems to be a tough crowd around here lately, tough to get much of a response out of anyone...... I think the ban hammer scared a lot of folks off.

Thanks Bill, seems to be a tough crowd around here lately, tough to get much of a response out of anyone...... I think the ban hammer scared a lot of folks off.
It's depressing how quiet it has gotten to be around here lately

I honestly think the folks that started this place forget why it needed to get started up in the first place. we were tired of the heavy handed moderation elsewhere, so those of worth came to a new place to gather and share the greater wealth of knowledge. Only to fall victim to another heavy hand. Grow a set, don some thicker skin, pick a dang bathroom and stick to it. Each time a new site comes along that seems to promise the next great thing we all charge on in, and set up home. Eventually folks get tired of it, give up, and fade away, taking their earned experiences with them, leaving us to toil in vain over something they had solved long ago. I know those that got the boot will be never welcomed back, but a lesson is here for the learning. Its just the internet, don't take it too serious, it will outlive us all, take a breath, shake your head, and let folks bicker back and forth.

Posts #13 & #14 - I agree. With all except the bickering. Why even bother ?????? Let certain comments roll off your back and let them die. Too much good info / shared experiences here to waste time on bickering IMO.

woohoo, just sealed the deal on a new to me disc, king kutter, 6.5 foot, box frame, damn near new.......... picking it up Saturday.

ne%203pt%20disc_zpspfbsgmz9.jpg

Last edited:
Nice find!

That is a disc with some beef behind it. If I was going to get a disc, that would be the one.

Congrats! Sure you'll like it.

That looks like a good one. I would stay away from the angle iron frames for sure. You have to put weight extra weight on those and if you work it a little hard it might end up like this pic. The sleeve bearings have to be greased OFTEN too if you don't want to replace a couple each year...I think the box frame ones have the better bearings which are actually a ball bearing instead of just a ribbed bushing.

DSC01383 (Medium).JPG