Kicked off 2016 planting yesterday

well I ran down and took a look, then hooked up the 2 bottom. Last falls ww cc ptt were done doing what they could, and ready to add organic material back to the plots so I turned them under. Also looked like the yellow sweet clover was about done, so under that went as well, albeit a tangled mess at times.

20160710_134152_zpsxw49efzy.jpg

20160710_152841_zpsh9g1au5w.jpg

What's going back in there same mix? Looks good!

Looks like good soil, Mikmaze. You ought to be able to grow good crop of most anything there. For such a good wheat crop - you're doing something right !!

FWIW - consider some buckwheat as part of your strip plot. We plant some every year at camp and the deer & turkeys LOVE it. When it goes to seed, the turkeys pound it and we always get some volunteer BW that comes up later or even the following year. It adds lots of organic material back to the soil as it decays too. We paid $25 for a 50 lb. sack this year. Our deer are hammering it now - I saw 3 bucks eating in it last weekend. Loads of blossoms are keeping our bees happy too. We're planting a mix of 4 kinds of brassicas right next to the BW in 2 more weeks for fall / winter plot.

thanks guys, I will most likely do the same mix in a couple weeks, let some of that wheat break down before I run a disc over it. PTT seed has risen it seems in price, No clue why, sure seems to put on enough seed if given the chance.
surprising thing about that wheat, no fert was added at all, last years Crimson clover did all I needed.

Looks like that mix has worked for you, good luck!

I should stick to that mix, so frustrated, my corn and soy plot was a 95% FAIL'

JUST GOT HOME FOM FLIPPING IT IN PREP FOR MY GO TO MIX, PTT CC GHR WW

sorry for the caps... not soo much as a fail as the deer just would not let it grow, I caught em out eating the seed, then tracks galore eating what germinated........

Last edited:
well, turned under gly'd trash, and grabbed the card out of the camera. surprised to see this guy. Had a 20 minute session of him and 4 other bucks fighting....
ten%20pointer_zpsfbwkburz.jpg

He's a nice one!

This is a great thread. I have a 7.5' KK box frame disc and it works great.

Nice work on your plots. Congrats!

Thanks man, now all I gotta do is let the air out of that 10........

Good luck with the 10. He's a dandy for sure.

well I saw him today...........
went for breakfast at the spinning wheel, got back and headed to the stand. not 40 yards from my truck, I smell it, musty, strong, buck gone wild aroma.....
I stop dead in my tracks and look left to see him sneaking away out of a bed not 15 yards from me......
That lucky old son of a b was bedded far side of some thick brush, gun season might have got a shot, not with the bow.

he walks another day.

I won't get a crack at him for weeks now, NY rifle season opens and I am there three weekends straight.

At least you got a look at him. Hopefully he's around when you have SG in your hand.