Jeep projects

b116757

5 year old buck +
My brother had a 1995 jeep he parked in his yard 6 years ago because the frame was rotted out abt the rear spring shackle to the point there was nothing left holding it together I towed it back to my place and repaired the frame and built a bumper for it. This thing only has 58,000 miles on it but frame was bad very bad pretty sure it was a lake cabin jeep and that’s why miles are so low.

Attachments

• IMG_1458.jpeg
    IMG_1458.jpeg
    452.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1459.jpeg
    IMG_1459.jpeg
    413.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1545.jpeg
    IMG_1545.jpeg
    461.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1546.jpeg
    IMG_1546.jpeg
    477.3 KB · Views: 22
I enjoyed repairing his so much I bought one myself Thursday and have started its repair this one is also 1995 but it’s frame rot is in the front and the steering box tore loose from the frame. Guy I bought this one from had ordered some frame repair kits but the rot was longer than the kit covered and he was beyond his skill level it scared him to try this. I had to graft in about 18” of 2”x4” box tubing to replace the bad frame in addition to his repair kit. My last weld is just in front of that shock in the photo of the repair. My middle boy can’t wait for this to be done he has laid claim to it. The other side will also get a repair but it’s nowhere near as bad on the passenger side really the repair kit wasn’t needed just a little reinforcement would have done fine for it but since he had the kit for it I’ll likely use it.

Attachments

• IMG_1566.jpeg
    IMG_1566.jpeg
    531.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1587.jpeg
    IMG_1587.jpeg
    437.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I also replaced the sticking front brakes on his calipers where pretty well shot maybe these coated ones will last longer in the land of road salt.IMG_1708.jpeg

Building a complete new frame for my YJ probably swap frames this winter. I’m using 2x4x3/16 rectangle tubing and a little 2x2x3/16. I’m going to extend the rear of the frame 10” I think to eliminate the little crash bumper things on the back of the jeep. I bought a used frame to use as template for my frame build.

I have a 2006 Jeep LJ. The LJ's were only manufactured 04, 05, and 06. I had an 04 LJ before that. I love a good old school Wrangler. The old square headlight Wranglers are infamous for rotten frames. The LJ's are getting hard to come by, especially unmolested ones.

1728869014092.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes idk where they sourced the steel for the YJ’s but they seemed to be much worse for rotting out than the older CJ’s where. What’s really odd is the frames are identical except the rear mid body mount location you can swap between frames pretty easily with minimal fabrication between CJ7’s and YJ’s but I thought building a frame looked like a fun project to fool with. I believe my frame will run around 80lbs heavier than the original frame was. I’ve considered picking up something newer than a YJ but they started using coil springs with the TJ’s and I’d just as soon have the leaf spring suspension.

Yes idk where they sourced the steel for the YJ’s but they seemed to be much worse for rotting out than the older CJ’s where. What’s really odd is the frames are identical except the rear mid body mount location you can swap between frames pretty easily with minimal fabrication between CJ7’s and YJ’s but I thought building a frame looked like a fun project to fool with. I believe my frame will run around 80lbs heavier than the original frame was. I’ve considered picking up something newer than a YJ but they started using coil springs with the TJ’s and I’d just as soon have the leaf spring suspension.

I love the Wrangler. Not a big fan of the new 4 door family-cruiser Jeeps, though.

Really cool! Where did you learn to do all of this? I can do a lot of things but cars aren’t one of them

Nice start to your frame b116757! Are you just swapping all the brackets and mounts from the used frame you bought, or are you planning on building some of that new too?

Your benches outside are getting rusty(er)! Show off. I see like 3 of those pallet rack tables outside and more with casters in the inside shots
Yes I think I’ve 5 at the house

Nice start to your frame b116757! Are you just swapping all the brackets and mounts from the used frame you bought, or are you planning on building some of that new too?
3” channel for almost all the new body mounts I will reuse nothing building everything new

I think the TJ's are worse for frame rot? At least what I see around here used.

My YJ is all fishplate repairs, overall condition it wasn't worth doing right, just bandaids to buy some time. The front about the only part that was okay.

I think the TJ's are worse for frame rot? At least what I see around here used.

My YJ is all fishplate repairs, overall condition it wasn't worth doing right, just bandaids to buy some time. The front about the only part that was okay.
Mine isn’t really in great shape this as much a get my boys welding and turning wrenches as anything else.