Japanese Yew

Scenttrails

5 year old buck +
Anyone see the article out of Boise, Idaho? 8 elk and a herd of antelope dead from eating Japanese Yew in yards of homes in the foothills. Is it true?

I've seen it. Believe it is true... Boone & Crockett had an article on it too

The entire yew bush is toxic enough to kill a horse, except for the fleshy berry surrounding the seed.[3] For dogs, 2/5ths of an oz per 10 pounds of body weight is lethal. It is therefore advisable to keep domestic animals away from the plant.

Why on earth would this be a legal plant to have in our country?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that's crazy. I hope they ban it soon.

Yew is one of the shrubs that get pounded by deer in suburban yards. I have 2 of them planted against the side of my house. Deer walk across my deck steps to get to the yew when there's snow on the ground. They leave them alone when there's no snow.
Yew are often pruned into hedges or to control growth. When I prune mine, I always left the cuttings in the corner of the yard...deer always ate the crap out of it. It's a relatively small amount that they eat, but now I'm wondering what I should do with the prunings.

Rip the stupid thing out of the ground, its pretty simple.

Because it has uses in this country. A lot of plants can be toxic, even native oaks have killed animals.

If you have too much water it is fatal too[/url]

Sarcasm is appreciated, but when there plenty of other bushes/shrubery to plant and shape that wouldn't kill something nibbling on it, makes sense.

lol you'd want a plant banned just because a few animals die from it, sounds like knee jerk reaction. In the article it mentioned that Idaho elk harvest could top 25k, doubt yew is causing much of a problem.

Reactions: Tap
Sarcasm is appreciated, but when there plenty of other bushes/shrubery to plant and shape that wouldn't kill something nibbling on it, makes sense.

I am a former landscaper. In areas with deer problems we often had to select plants that were deer resistant basically in order for anything to grow at the location as it isn't plants getting nibbled on, it is plants getting almost mowed to the ground. So things like yews and junipers get planted where better looking shrubs like dogwoods, ninebarks, and arbs would not survive.

4 bears were found dead in a church parking lot in Wilkes barre PA last month, a mom and 3 cubs. Everyone assumed someone in town fed them antifreeze but the tox reports confirmed that they died from eating yew (not sure which species).