IWA and MDDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
On, New Year's Day some poor soul showed up on the facebook page asking where to get food plot seed. People came out of the wood work, along with Don Higgins himself, suggesting "Real World Wildlife Seed!"

Anytime anyone offers constructive criticism, Higgins is quick to show up with his standard ... "Well, what are YOU doing for the herd? I'm the only one working for the herd". He is just a polarizing a-hole who is not someone to be put in front of people. As you read in the above article, the idiot is out there claiming he got the new governor elected! He sure does think alot of himself and his ideas are the only ones that matter, he wants to come to be known as the guy who saved the deer in Illinois, and he wants to sell his BOB seed.

I would love to more actively support the IWA, but none of this sits very well with me. Sadly, its the only game in town, as Don will frequently let you know.

Sir, it is clear that your objections to IWA stem from a personal dislike of me. Just look at your very first sentence in the quoted post above. Some "poor soul" showed up asking where to buy seed and I stooped so low as to post a link to a seed company in his home state that I happen to be a co-owner of. I didnt give a sales pitch or anything else, just posted the link. I certainly hope that poor soul can recover from my vicious attack.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but the post you just made about me is worse than anything you can find that I have made towards anyone on any site and is proof positive that your issue with IWA is more personal with me. In an effort to unify Illinois deer hunters, I am going to take a bit to try to explain some of the issues you have raised while some have already been covered by IWA president Kevin Chapman.

Your link to the article which appeared in the Chicago Sun Times (post #1 of this thread) - this article was full of the exact talking points that DNR personnel have used in meetings we have had with them. Believe it or not, since IWAs inception, DNR has tried to discredit the group at every turn. This particular writer is closely tied to DNR and that connection is obviously more important to him than helping restore the Illinois deer herd. This writer also contradicts himself in the article as well as many other articles on a variety of subjects related to the Illinois deer herd. The DNR has clearly found a puppet to speak for them in their efforts to discredit IWA.

You insinuate that I censor people on IWA facebook page; your quote "I almost took the argument to the QDMA forum, where DH couldn't censor me". What argument are you talking about???? I am right here on a site where I have no control to censor or delete anything and where you haven't even used your real name and most of us don't even know who you really are. You accusation is completely false. Let me assure you that of all IWA board members I am probably the last person to censor things even when they need censored. I only recall deleting one post and that was where a person was using vulgar language. (based on your post here, it very well could have been you??) You wont find me deleting anything from anyone just because I disagree with them, that has NEVER been my style. There are primarily 3 people monitoring the IWA facebook page and I am confident that I have deleted the least amount of rubbish of any of us.

I'll tell you what TMIL, you really need to get over the hate that has consumed you. I am willing to help so I am going to throw out some offers -

I dont have any idea where you live in Illinois but I am willing to meet you half way and buy your lunch/dinner/breakfast and we can discuss your concerns with IWA and the Illinois deer herd. If this doesn't work for you, I will be at the Illinois Deer Classic in February. If you are going to be there I will take time to discuss your concerns there. You are also welcome to call me anytime. I honestly hope that you will take me up on at least one of these offers. Solving the problem with the Illinois deer herd is going to take all of us working together and carrying around that much resentment for someone that wouldn't know you if you were seated next to them is not healthy.

The issue I have with IWA is that it has such a trophy deer management feel to it. I had to push REAL hard to get an answer to what exactly, "responsible deer management" meant, which was the answer I kept getting when asking what IWA was pushing for. I didn't like the answers, when I finally got them. To me, much of it had nothing to do with managing deer responsibly and everything to do with growing gagers. Now, that works out in my own selfish interests perfectly, but loathe seeing deer managed for inches of antler by the states. Individuals doing so, so long as they aren't obnoxious about it? More power to them, but that's a personal goal and I firmly believe, for an extremely long list of reasons, state SHOULDN'T force managing deer for inches down their hunters' throats.

I personally don't believe in this entire "unified voice of the hunters" theme that's been going on lately. I get and even have tried to help support you guys' goals for shaking things up in MN. That said, I don't want anyone outside of the DNRs to determine what should be done to manage deer. If they DNRs are failing, push to fire the key decision makers and replace them with the best available "experts," but don't strip the DNRs of their power, like we are doing so steadily in WI.

Steve, I wish you would have called me on this one. If you would sit in on a single IWA meeting you would find a group of diverse individuals trying diligently to come up with a plan to appease a number of groups. I am not sure who you were "pushing real hard" for answers but any one on the board could and would answer your questions but we all also have real jobs that occupy our time. The only way that those who oppose IWA can find to divide Illinois deer hunters is to claim that IWA is a trophy hunter based group pushing for trophy management. That is totally false. There has never even been a suggestion of things like antler restrictions, earn-a-buck etc.

I agree completely with your last paragraph. Wildlife management should be left in the hands of capable biologists. Right now in Illinois we dont have that.

By the way, I looked for you at ATA this week. Were you there?

You insinuate that I censor people on IWA facebook page; your quote "I almost took the argument to the QDMA forum, where DH couldn't censor me". What argument are you talking about???? I am right here on a site where I have no control to censor or delete anything and where you haven't even used your real name and most of us don't even know who you really are. You accusation is completely false. Let me assure you that of all IWA board members I am probably the last person to censor things even when they need censored. I only recall deleting one post and that was where a person was using vulgar language. (based on your post here, it very well could have been you??) You wont find me deleting anything from anyone just because I disagree with them, that has NEVER been my style. There are primarily 3 people monitoring the IWA facebook page and I am confident that I have deleted the least amount of rubbish of any of us.

I'll tell you what TMIL, you really need to get over the hate that has consumed you.

So you don't remember when the facebook page was completely reset, every post wiped out? That's censorship in my book.

Back then, I was passionate about the IWA and I truly hoped it would turn into a great organization, but you can't tell folks to get on board and we'll tell you what it is later. I compared it to Obamacare "We just need to get it passed and then we'll figure out what is in it." That post is now gone along with everything else that was deleted.

Haha! I'm not consumed with hate. Its common practice for us 'regular people' to discuss and criticize the actions of those who set themselves up in the public eye. And those who do so need to be prepared to handle it. I promise you I lose no sleep over it.

I would take you up on your offer, but I won't go out of my way. I work full-time an hour's drive each way, I'm a full-time single father to 3 small children, and I use what little free time I have to enjoy and improve my little piece of habitat.

So you don't remember when the facebook page was completely reset, every post wiped out? That's censorship in my book.

Back then, I was passionate about the IWA and I truly hoped it would turn into a great organization, but you can't tell folks to get on board and we'll tell you what it is later. I compared it to Obamacare "We just need to get it passed and then we'll figure out what is in it." That post is now gone along with everything else that was deleted.

Haha! I'm not consumed with hate. Its common practice for us 'regular people' to discuss and criticize the actions of those who set themselves up in the public eye. And those who do so need to be prepared to handle it. I promise you I lose no sleep over it.

I would take you up on your offer, but I won't go out of my way. I work full-time an hour's drive each way, I'm a full-time single father to 3 small children, and I use what little free time I have to enjoy and improve my little piece of habitat.

I do remember when the facebook page was reset but that was not my decision nor did I do it. Some IWA board members felt that a lack of monitoring the page had turned it into something that could be used against us by legislators and DNR. I supported that decision but it was not mine.

I think Kevin explained how DNR misled us by asking us to delay releasing our proposal and that move to DNR led to a few (like you) thinking that something was being pulled behind their backs or that they was being asked to support something they would never see. That DNR tactic worked on you. The IWA has been released, you can read it in its entirety and make an educated decision as to whether to join.

"Regular people" ... what does that make me? God didnt make me any better than he made you or anyone else. I always thought of myself as "regular people". If I thought I was better than you or anyone else on these message boards I wouldnt be on them taking this kind of grief from people I am trying to help. You mention your kids, dont they deserve to one day hunt a good whitetail herd? I have 2 young grandsons myself and that is a driving force in my involvement.

You also made a comment earlier that I "want to be known as the one that saves the Illinois deer herd." Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact I wish the Illinois deer herd was in great shape and I never had to use another minute of my time to attend a meeting 2 hours from my home. Something needs to change and my passion simply drove me to get involved, not a need for credit or notoriety.

Your claim of not being consumed by hate is trumped by your previous posts. Thats really a moot point though, doesnt matter and a waste of time to argue about it. I will sweeten the offer - I travel all over Illinois and in fact the entire Midwest; send me a message with where you live and your phone # and I will call you the next time I am close to your home and make an effort to meet over lunch/dinner/breakfast.

This make me wonder how many will move if deer hunting continues to decline. 5 dpsm means you better have some dang good squirrel hunting on your property if you just own land for hunting. ;)

Kevin C-

Do you know of any other states besides IL and MN that have organized to fight the issue? The threads are similar, and if more than 2 states are on, we should stop learning lessons the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.