ISO.... small manure spreader...

Luckybuck

Yearling... With promise
Looking for a small manure spreader. I let my Wife talk me into get some beepers last year and I have some nice piles of straw and manure building up. Would like to spread on a large opening, almost 3 acres. anyone heard of one out there near west central WI?

What is a "Beeper"? I assume its an animal breed of some sort. What you need is some cheap labor with some scoop shovels and a pick-up truck! I have seen small "manure spreaders" for sale before....but they ain't exactly cheap.

https://www.ruralking.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=manure+spreader

What is a "Beeper"? I assume its an animal breed of some sort. What you need is some cheap labor with some scoop shovels and a pick-up truck! I have seen small "manure spreaders" for sale before....but they ain't exactly cheap.

https://www.ruralking.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=manure+spreader
Should have been beefers. Autocorrect gets me every time.

Should have been beefers. Autocorrect gets me every time.

Ok? So around here a "Beefer" is a beef cow... We use the term as a combination of Beef and Heifer (young female beef cow).

Depending on how many you have or how long you intend on doing this... a small hobby farm size spreader like in the link I shared may be a good investment for you.

I will also add that I would only apply to plots where you will be using tillage to work that material into the soil. This puts that material down where it will help the plants the most AND helps minimize any run-off/contamination. I am not sure what the fertilizer value of it will/would be... I guess you could say... I don't know SHAT! (Auto-correct).

Ok? So around here a "Beefer" is a beef cow... We use the term as a combination of Beef and Heifer (young female beef cow).

Depending on how many you have or how long you intend on doing this... a small hobby farm size spreader like in the link I shared may be a good investment for you.

I will also add that I would only apply to plots where you will be using tillage to work that material into the soil. This puts that material down where it will help the plants the most AND helps minimize any run-off/contamination. I am not sure what the fertilizer value of it will/would be... I guess you could say... I don't know SHAT! (Auto-correct).
Well here a beefer is anything that can’t be milked. We are working our way up to 20 or 30 head over the next couple of years. Plan on using it in an area that was logged off a couple of years ago. Very sandy soil and want to help build it up. Will definitely be tillering and disking it in. Want to get it up and plant alfalfa for our own hay instead of buying it.

How many acres do you keep the cattle on? I like the idea of using the manure to build up a sandy area. Can you make much money on cattle if you have to buy all of the hay?

Should be good for that sandy soil. But don’t spread it fresh, it will be too “hot” and burn anything trying to grow. Let it simmer before you spread it.

How many acres do you keep the cattle on? I like the idea of using the manure to build up a sandy area. Can you make much money on cattle if you have to buy all of the hay?
We have access to 65 acres. Probably not enough to raise what my wife wants to. And the answer to your second question is Nope. But happy Wife happy life or so the saying goes. I just try to find ways to make it work with my hobbies.

I was tearing down an old barn many years ago that had cows in it just before it was torn down. I cleaned all the manure out of the basement of the barn first and hauled it to my land. I let it sit for about a year or more in one big pile before I spread it on my sandy soil. I also sprayed the manure pile with roundup on a regular basis to get rid of all the weeds that were growing from it. It got worked into the ground with a disc. Was spread by hand.
I always look at used farm machinery when I travel. I very rarely see used manure spreaders for sale and when I do they are very large ones. You can look at the used farm machinery market place to see if you can find one. Good luck!

Last edited:
We have horses and have a couple of the old pull type spreaders from the 1950s to spread our horse poo. They work great expect in the winter when the chain freezes up and can cause all kinds of damage. I like the ground driven spreaders because you can pull them with anything. Truck,tractor,utv,etc. You should be able to find a decent one on craigslist for $1000 to $1500. I would get one old farm ones over any of the cheap tiny new ones they sell. They look cheap but the price doesn't reflect it.