Isn't today supposed to be "the" Jeff sturgis Day to hunt?

D

dipper

I'm in a bedding area with multiple rubs in sight. All kinds of does and bucks.
20 degree drop in temp from yesterday, and I am only at 1 deer?
I know it's windy, but am I missing something?

dipper, how dare you question my buddy jeff :rolleyes:

I think he preaches about "October cold fronts"

October, I'm so dumb!

Yes and forget about hunting warm afternoons this time of year. Pay no attention to the hunters reporting success the last 4 days or so.

I think tomorrow will be good, last night buddy saw a 6yr old mount a doe 3 times while being cheered on by 5 little bucks.

Anyone know when ole Charlie a predicted the rut this year?

The latest Field n Stream mag said Nov 7 was the #1 day for rut action. I don't think Nov 6 made the top 10 list of prime days:D

According to Charlie:
rutting moon Oct. 27th
bucks starting to walk open fields, highways, etc. Oct. 23rd
2-3 days after the 27th, chasing starts
chasing from Oct. 31st - Nov. 8th
lockdown around Nov. 10th
be in your stand Oct. 23rd - Nov. 8th
Nov. 5 -Nov. 15, without a hot doe under treestand, no bucks

Gosh I haven't seen any of that

Laugh at me if you want but I think Charlie's predictions have "some" value. Yes I understand that the actual breeding occurs on or around the same date year after year. He is more or less predicting deer movement/activities, not actual breeding dates. He called this year an early rut (activity wise) and from the reports I've been reading on the forums this doesn't seem to be "off". On years where he predicted a "trickle rut", it seemed to go that way.

Everything has value as long as it isn't just complaining

My day ended up pretty good had 3 yearlings chasing like crazy from 1500-1630. One of the does never put her tail down. Standing, walking, running, she was making a point to show her stuff.
All the action drew this guys interest
29A98DAE-3D6F-473A-BD49-6813DAA64097.jpg

But he showed little interest. Had him at 80 yards. Hopefully tomorrow she will draw him in closer for me.

Best weekend of hunting and my daughter is getting married. The things we do for our kids.

I have seen bucks trailing does for the past week or so. Lots more activity out in the open as well. I do thing weather patterns can impact what we see since we only hunt during the day and warmer temps can limit activity to the dark hours. Had a little fun with a nice 2 year old last weekend as I was messing with "his" rubs. I heard him grunt in the thicket, I shook one of his rubs and he came looking for a fight. He couldn't quite figure out what was up, but kept grunting. I figured I better quit before I got my butt kicked. He trotted back to where he came from. I'll be using a decoy when I have a chance to help get some attention and the rain is moving out and the am is to be cold and clear - got my fingers crossed for the weekend!

Best weekend of hunting and my daughter is getting married. The things we do for our kids.

Ouch.

About three years ago a buddy set the date for his wedding on opening day of rifle season. Neither him or his now wife are hunters but his extended family is. They ended up moving the date because so many people told them they wouldn't be able to make it.

I was out this morning and only saw 3 does and no real rutting activity - even the ru s and scrapes are week here this year. I'm home helping a friend set up his x-bow and will be out again this evening.

It hasn't been an ideal year by any means.

Who ever said the 7th is a genius. I took my best buck to date a 3.5yo basket 10. Dressed at 170. He came strolling by at 10am not a care in the world. A 30 O6 can really ruin your pursuit of getting lucky.

Everything has value as long as it isn't just complaining

The " title " of your thread suggest your questioning or complaining.....carry on folks.....

I shot a doe this morning and she was not being tailed. I have not seen much here - at least not while on stand. I have had lots of yote activity however and have seen 2 in 2 days. May take the daughter deer hunting and I'll be yote hunting. Both where to far with a bow. Gun doesn't open until this coming weekend!!