Is this an Arkansas Black

Skelly

5 year old buck +
So I bought this tree 2 years ago. It bloomed really well this year and has had great growth. Not a bit of CAR

I left 2 apples on it just to get a taste. As you can see, it’s not what I would consider an Arkansas Black Apple based on descriptions I’ve read.51F83125-21E9-424F-855F-70914EC6B25E.jpeg are these just not to the stage where they will become much darker. (Photos taken last week in August). My thoughts are that I got a mislabeled tree.

If it is an AB great, but if it’s not anyone have any suggestions what it may be.

Thanks.

S

Attachments

• B609B486-0FF2-4CC9-8669-D1C11E7F3364.jpeg
    B609B486-0FF2-4CC9-8669-D1C11E7F3364.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 17
I am much farther north than you are, and my AB apples are already very deep red (almost black) now. I kinda doubt this is an Arkansas Black apple, but ya never know. The shape is right, but not the color you'd expect by now. Keep an eye on it, hopefully it is just ripening late.

Looks to be in the limbertwig family if I was to venture a guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The strange coloration on those apple is caused by a harmless fungus called Sooty Blotch. It can appear on about any cultivar and you can just ignore it unless you are planning on selling the apples. You can actually take a wet rag and rub the skin and most of that darker coloring will rub away. It has no affect on eating the apples.

I can't tell if that is Arkansas Black or not but I agree with Apple Junkie. I would expect AB to be darker by now. I have AB but still too young to be producing, so can't look myself.

Last edited:
The strange coloration on those apple is caused by a harmless fungus called Sooty Blotch. It can appear on about any cultivar and you can just ignore it unless you are planning on selling the apples. You can actually take a wet rag and rub the skin and most of that darker coloring will rub away. It has no affect on eating the apples.

I can't tell if that is Arkansas Black or not but I agree with Apple Junkie. I would expect AB to be darker by now. I have AB but still to young to be producing, so can't look myself.
Nope they are going to be free to any deer that wants one. Maybe a few for the Skelly clan.

I would also say not AB

Welp I think it’s confirmed. Just picked one of the apples up off the ground.

Good eating apple although it doesn’t look al that pretty. Little bit tart but tasty.