Interesting OnX find

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
For kicks and giggles I looked up my name last night. It shows my residence and farms, but it also showed a random 12 acres, a lot in a development and a senior living center…all of which I do not own, I don’t think! Ironically they are all in the same county as my hunting properties. Additionally my wife is on one of them with me. I’m very confused on how this would be since they pull from county records. I have not received a tax bill that was incorrect but it’s weird how they would have gotten this info.

For kicks and giggles I looked up my name last night. It shows my residence and farms, but it also showed a random 12 acres, a lot in a development and a senior living center…all of which I do not own, I don’t think! Ironically they are all in the same county as my hunting properties. Additionally my wife is on one of them with me. I’m very confused on how this would be since they pull from county records. I have not received a tax bill that was incorrect but it’s weird how they would have gotten this info.

Sell em quick!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Onyx showed a woman in Reno owned half a million acres of central Nevada at one time. The hunters were so, so confused.

AI is watching you all night long. It doesn't always get it right.
I totaled the only new vehicle of my life; a 2020. I replaced it with something 15 years older. I don't want a truck that listens to everything I say and argues with me or allows google to admonish me for my language.

I would take the time to contact the county just to make sure their records are correct. In the past few years, many scammers have succeeded in changing titles, securing loans and issuing liens against unknowing victims. The “Elvis Mansion” case brought this to light for many, but this has been a problem the Farm Bureau has been warning farmers about for a couple of years.

I’d guess there is a 99% chance this is a On-X error, as they purchase the county data from third parties, not directly from the county. However, it is better to be safe.

I would take the time to contact the county just to make sure their records are correct. In the past few years, many scammers have succeeded in changing titles, securing loans and issuing liens against unknowing victims. The “Elvis Mansion” case brought this to light for many, but this has been a problem the Farm Bureau has been warning farmers about for a couple of years.

I’d guess there is a 99% chance this is a On-X error, as they purchase the county data from third parties, not directly from the county. However, it is better to be safe.
Absolutely. I was going to call first thing tomorrow just to make sure something funny wasn’t going on

Never think on-x can't and doesn't make mistakes. I had a 114 acre piece of land on the east coast. On-x showed it as owned by a utility company and because it was vacant land guys thought it would be ok to sneak in and hunt. The utility company never owned that land and on-x was less than helpful in resolving the issue.

Never think on-x can't and doesn't make mistakes. I had a 114 acre piece of land on the east coast. On-x showed it as owned by a utility company and because it was vacant land guys thought it would be ok to sneak in and hunt. The utility company never owned that land and on-x was less than helpful in resolving the issue.
I agree that On-X has been less than helpful in updating land information. Plus, they never respond to emails or answer phone calls. As more and more hunters turn to apps like On-X, the need for accurate and up-to-date information is becoming more critical. I hunt some permission private in SW Missouri that shows a major power line was government land (thus, trespassers) when in reality it is owned by a private utility.

I agree that On-X has been less than helpful in updating land information. Plus, they never respond to emails or answer phone calls. As more and more hunters turn to apps like On-X, the need for accurate and up-to-date information is becoming more critical. I hunt some permission private in SW Missouri that shows a major power line was government land (thus, trespassers) when in reality it is owned by a private utility.
The funny thing is people pay for it.

I've had nothing but bad luck with On-X. I used it for the free trial and found it basically useless. I think this is normal for start-ups, so I'm not going to write it off. I'll just try it again after a year or so and see if it's useful for me at that point. When I finally am able to get some value out of it, then I'll be fine paying for it, but not before then.

OnX is not perfect, but I find it very useful and worth every penny. Through hard work and luck, I've accumulate 675 contiguous acres in Western Kentucky and use OnX to map property lines, trails, deer stands, trail cameras, measure potential food plots, and mark a WRP area. (I know, I know, but a previous owner of one parcel did the WRP☹️ )
I could keep track in my head with the original 200 acres, but you would be surprised how easy it is to lose track of trail cameras on larger parcels. YMMV.

Last edited:
Only gripe I have with OnX is their satellite maps in my areas are about 10+ years old. I keep thinking they'll update them but they never do. Someday...

Reactions: 356
Only gripe I have with OnX is their satellite maps in my areas are about 10+ years old. I keep thinking they'll update them but they never do. Someday...
That’s funny, the onx map is more up to date at my place than Google.

Bing maps is the most up to date map in my area. Stumbled onto that by accident.

On-X seems to be used by everyone I know, so it is helpful when sending information about hunting setups on remote properties. That is the only reason I keep it. I subscribe only to the basic version that provides two states. I know that the “elite” version that provides more up to date imagery and features. The base maps are four years old which limits usefulness. I attended a couple of the “On-X” webinars and found them somewhat helpful.

I usually update my On-X layers during the summer, and have recently added all game cameras. It has been useful for determining accurate food plot sizes and establishing access routes—especially on remote properties. The frustrations are a) the app is not intuitive, b) The base maps are very old--other than Google Earth for my properties, c) The cost, and d) Less than acceptable landowner accuracy.

What I like is a) feature rich, b) easy to share with friends and family, including those with a free version, c) the distance and area mapping tools, d) having a quick place to view adjacent landowners and public lands, and e) the ability to create a "wind plan" for all blinds. This is really helpful for family and friends hunting our property.

I know there are many features that I don't use. On-X provides lots of how-to videos, so it is likely a matter of time.

That’s funny, the onx map is more up to date at my place than Google.
Google and the county GIS are the best around here. OnX hasn't updated my SE MN or SW WI maps the whole time I've been using the service, so about 4+ years

Google and the county GIS are the best around here. OnX hasn't updated my SE MN or SW WI maps the whole time I've been using the service, so about 4+ years
That is so funny cause I’m the exact opposite. Google doesn’t have my house at my farm which is 4 years old. Onx does

I'm a County Appraiser in Kansas. We update our ownership maps weekly and have new high resolution aerial imagery flown every 3 years currently. We are changing that to every 2 years beginning with our next contract in spring 2026 I believe (maybe 2025 depending on their offer to fly it and their contract offer). I have fielded questions from constituents about conflicts between data on platforms like OnX and our data and there isn't really any way I can help. I think those platforms request updated ownership quarterly or something like that, so our website is more current and so is our imagery according to my own property on OnX.

I'm a County Appraiser in Kansas. We update our ownership maps weekly and have new high resolution aerial imagery flown every 3 years currently. We are changing that to every 2 years beginning with our next contract in spring 2026 I believe (maybe 2025 depending on their offer to fly it and their contract offer). I have fielded questions from constituents about conflicts between data on platforms like OnX and our data and there isn't really any way I can help. I think those platforms request updated ownership quarterly or something like that, so our website is more current and so is our imagery according to my own property on OnX.
How many have you had to explain to someone, "I don't care what your electronic device says, the reality is...."?

I had to argue with a group of UTV people who insisted that they could cut across my place, and a 1,000' deep gorge, to get where they wanted to be because onyx says so. I would have happily directed every single one of them off a cliff, but I don't want the mess.