Insect damage on apple trees?

westonwhitetail

5 year old buck +
Do I have insect damage going on on my apple trees planted this spring? The leaves are skeletonized on a few trees, one much worse than the others. See photos below.

I did not see any signs of larva and no large numbers of any certain bug. It’s been 3 weeks since I’ve been there so maybe they have already come and gone? Any advice for this going forward? 5DD68064-AE2C-4CBF-A800-68CF09A1DC5D.jpegAF412246-9C23-44B1-89A2-FB4C041DB30F.jpegDCF81CBF-22E3-4AA6-AF22-120AFE26625A.jpeg

I’d start looking for some Japanese beetles as the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t see a single Japanese beetle but that’s what other sites online point to as well.
Would the Beatles move out to the bean field near by now that the beans are up?

60B1248A-D1BE-4C24-B67F-7B98B356A4A7.jpeg
I saw a couple of these pairs

Shit that is a Japanese beetle isn’t it? The beetles that look like lady bugs are Asian beetles which is what I thought you meant...

I believe those are some type of chafer beetle

You found the culprit. I have the same problem with the same beetle. I have been picking them off small trees and killing them. The larger trees probably have them too, but the damage is less noticeable. As for a fix, I am not sure.

I Googled chaffer beetles and it appears to be a rose chaffer beetle. Thanks for the help. I guess I should get back out there and spray them to prevent further damage

This says they come out late may, feed for 3-4 weeks, then lay eggs for next year. I will have to keep a closer eye on these trees next summer during this time.

hopefully the damage is done for this year...

The tree that got the beetles the worst, also got bear damage...poor guy, not sure he will make it

^^that tree will be fine if the bears leave it alone now. I can't see any aluminum screen on the trunk. Get that done before winter or you'll be posting pics of vole/mice damage.

Sevin liquid bug spray will stop the beetle problem. Young trees will grow out of it pretty good without setting them back to hard.
I get the jap beetles here bad in summer if there are many bean fields close by, they are terrible on hazelnuts, cherries and chestnuts.

^^that tree will be fine if the bears leave it alone now. I can't see any aluminum screen on the trunk. Get that done before winter or you'll be posting pics of vole/mice damage.
That is on my list! I will do it with the insecticide application this weekend so it doesn't get forgotten again. Thanks for the reminder!

Sevin liquid bug spray will stop the beetle problem. Young trees will grow out of it pretty good without setting them back to hard.
I get the jap beetles here bad in summer if there are many bean fields close by, they are terrible on hazelnuts, cherries and chestnuts.
That's encouraging hopefully they will bounce back. This one the got hit hardest is a chestnut crab and was a good looking tree before these setbacks. I hope it makes it. Its the second attack on the cage and then the bug damage...been a rough couple months for this one.

Had the same thing happen to one of my crabs. I sprayed it back in April and haven't got around to spraying again. Guess that's what I get. Been using Bonide fruit tree spray. Is that ok to spray for insects or is there something better to use?

Had the same thing happen to one of my crabs. I sprayed it back in April and haven't got around to spraying again. Guess that's what I get. Been using Bonide fruit tree spray. Is that ok to spray for insects or is there something better to use?
For beetles liquid Sevin stops them

For beetles liquid Sevin stops them
I have all types of fruits trees. Is it ok to spray Sevin on any fruit tree?

I have all types of fruits trees. Is it ok to spray Sevin on any fruit tree?

I'm not a 100% sure, I use it on apples/pears/peaches/cherries/nut trees and on my garden.