Insect damage on apple trees?

My grandma always called those rose bugs and they can get extremely thick some years. She would pick them off by hand, but I'm sure a spray would work well. This was in Menomonie, Wisconsin and if your picture is from Dunn County I'm guessing you were blessed with those bugs as well.

If you let them go unchecked they can eat every leaf off a small tree and there will be hundreds of them on every tree that size.

My grandma always called those rose bugs and they can get extremely thick some years. She would pick them off by hand, but I'm sure a spray would work well. This was in Menomonie, Wisconsin and if your picture is from Dunn County I'm guessing you were blessed with those bugs as well.

If you let them go unchecked they can eat every leaf off a small tree and there will be hundreds of them on every tree that size.
Yep this is just NW of Menomonie. You from the area? I’ll have to plan ahead next spring and be out to monitor in early June.. either smash em or spray

Those beetles prefer to feast on rose and peony blooms. So if you can't get to your property to spray when the first ones arrive, you can plant a bunch of rose and peony plants to sacrifice and give your apple trees some time for you to spray.

Or a cheaper alternative would be to plant marigolds around your apple trees as they can be easily started from seed. The beetles will eat those plants before moving to your apples.

Have any of you guys tried the new sevin with cypermethrin as the active ingredient instead of carbaryl? I've been wondering about effectiveness vs the old formula.

Saw my first jap beetle yesterday so don’t think you are in the clear. Welcome to the wonderful world of being an apple parent. Something is always attacking them.

Or a cheaper alternative would be to plant marigolds around your apple trees as they can be easily started from seed. The beetles will eat those plants before moving to your apples.
Thanks for the tip, we may try that next spring

Saw my first jap beetle yesterday so don’t think you are in the clear. Welcome to the wonderful world of being an apple parent. Something is always attacking them.
You hit the nail on the head.. I went to check on the apples today and smash some rose chaffers and what do ya know, I did find a Japanese beetle...

Japs here today also.

Only found one in my yard so far. I’ve been putting out the milky spore powder the last couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went this weekend to check on my trees, man am I glad I did. I had jap beetles on chestnuts, sawtooths, pears and crabapples! Some trees had 5-10 beetles on them. I immediately went to get liquid sevin and sprayed every tree I have planted. Thanks for the suggestion guys! Does sevin kill the beetles or just make the leaves unattractive to eat?

Yep this is just NW of Menomonie. You from the area? I’ll have to plan ahead next spring and be out to monitor in early June.. either smash em or spray
My grandparents lived in Menomonie and I spent lots of time growing getting covered in rose bugs while mowing their lawn. If you brushed up against a tree or shrub the bugs would fly or crawl on you. I still hate those bugs.

They had some apple trees that did fine despite dealing with high numbers of those bugs.

Went this weekend to check on my trees, man am I glad I did. I had jap beetles on chestnuts, sawtooths, pears and crabapples! Some trees had 5-10 beetles on them. I immediately went to get liquid sevin and sprayed every tree I have planted. Thanks for the suggestion guys! Does sevin kill the beetles or just make the leaves unattractive to eat?

I think maybe both if you spray it on the beetles while spraying the trees, they sure drop off fast. Spray doesn't seem to bother the trees or shrubs at all.

Well I got out there to spray the trees on Thursday and not really any more damage done in a week. So hopefully this will solve the problem this year and can be proactive next year