Removing cages on Apple trees? And lack of production?

I took my cages off AT 15 years. Bucks then started to rub on them.
The tree doesn't know in the spring that it will be a dry year, so did the trees have apples in the spring or not? A dry year will have more pressure from critters eating the fruit before its ripe. Fruit trees without full sun will tend to be biennial bearers --or worse. Biennial bearers may be worse bearers, also. Annual fertilizing can't hurt.
In my opinion, apple trees planted for deer should have the following qualities:
1. Vigorous Grower
2. Late dropper
3. Holds long on tree
4. Semi- to Full sized
5. Open growth pattern (Tip bearers like Rome & Golden Russett do not require pruning as often)
6. Green/Yellow fruit (less attractive to birds)
7. Did I mention Vigorous Grower?

I favor a variety of drop times from early to late.

I also fell crab apples are the key for my climate. Specifically, apple crabs. Crab apples seem to be hardier and might?? Produce fruit with less care.

This year, I have very few trees holding fruit on the south slope. Big Dog started dropping early and still has a small amount of fruit. I probably didn’t start watering it early and often enough. Golden Hornet is holding fruit on the south slope and a dolgo seedling.

Moving to the gentle north slope and trees are doing much better. These did not receive much extra water.

Buckman crab is on some of my best soil on the north slope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I go to 3' cages as the final cage to protect from bucks. One challenge I don't have is voles so after a few years trees just have this cage.
938039419558dc21e1a8200824aadc0f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I go to 3' cages as the final cage to protect from bucks. One challenge I don't have is voles so after a few years trees just have this cage.
938039419558dc21e1a8200824aadc0f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Do you have bears? Just wondering if a small cage has any deterrent. I would love to put something like that on my trees, but my concern is the bears.

Do you have bears? Just wondering if a small cage has any deterrent. I would love to put something like that on my trees, but my concern is the bears.
I do have bears but to date they have only attacked one tree. He disregarded the 5’ cage on that tree. I expect the worse every time I go up but so far they play nice. Probably waiting for the trees to make it to 10 years.

I think the small dia cages help a bit with bears but not 100%. I still see cages crumpled on top and other signs of bear damage but less severe than unprotected trees. A small dia cage with a couple t-post next to it providing more support and little extra protection seems the best scenario. Disclaimer: I ripped a lotta fencing outta my formerly pastured woods so have a good supply of a couple hundred t-posts to move around. When trees get over 5-6 inch dia they still have fencing but posts get moved to new or smaller trees. I actually have bear problems the most with young oaks that are just starting to ramp up acorn production. Poor acorn years are a mixed blessing since on back to back good years the bear visits seem to go up but the bad years keep em guessing and less visits. The good bear habitat is several miles away in the cedar swamps but they roam and I only see pass thru critters most years.

I think the small dia cages help a bit with bears but not 100%. I still see cages crumpled on top and other signs of bear damage but less severe than unprotected trees. A small dia cage with a couple t-post next to it providing more support and little extra protection seems the best scenario. Disclaimer: I ripped a lotta fencing outta my formerly pastured woods so have a good supply of a couple hundred t-posts to move around. When trees get over 5-6 inch dia they still have fencing but posts get moved to new or smaller trees. I actually have bear problems the most with young oaks that are just starting to ramp up acorn production. Poor acorn years are a mixed blessing since on back to back good years the bear visits seem to go up but the bad years keep em guessing and less visits. The good bear habitat is several miles away in the cedar swamps but they roam and I only see pass thru critters most years.

We had unlimited bear tags in the 2020 season and that seemed to help. This is more of an ag area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk