All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If ya can't grow wheat...

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
If you can't grow wheat then your doing something wrong! This may explain why throw n mow works so well for me. Just pick plants that can't fail. :)
f8a8d0e45920e4bdd002742f39634d7f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yep.......rye and oats aren't much different around here either. Those 3 are what keep me looking like a half decent plotter.

Catscratch, did you do a soil test on your pickup before planting?

Lol. No soil test or amendments at all. I just have naturally good bed. Thankfully it isn't full of sand! :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I feel the same about buckwheat, One year i had a rip in my 4 wheeler seat and had buckwheat growing up out of the foam, and in my skid plates.

I had almost complete plot failure this year on my new plots. They only thing growing is WR. I just spread oats and wheat to thicken it up. Even I can't fail with those.

I had rye grow in the bed of my pickup truck I. Sme wood mulch once. I swear it will germinate on a damp sidewalk! But yes to your point cereal grains are typically easily grown if you want fall/winter food for deer. It doesn't take much and tends to grow quickly. Only issue I have with the is its height and tough stems in the following spring can mak using rotary equipment a struggle if it is t killed with a berbicide first. Wheat in my are grows to only half the height of rye.