I’ll leave this here…glyphosate

Knowing a number of folks on this site are committed to improving soil health it should be noted that glyphosate was also patented as an antibiotic known to kill beneficial organisms. Draw your own conclusions...but I don't use it on my fields.

Do you use other herbicides at all?

No. And yes. I hope that's clear.

I haven't used any herbicide on my fields in 2 years. I have never used any of the other 'cides'. I have been transitioning from using roller crimper over to terminating with cattle this year. With the crimper I had manageable weed density. What I am seeing so far is that with cattle on the pastures they look even better. Granted there are weeds but with mixes of 6-10 species including all the classes of plants weeds are just another part of the mix all of which seems to work well together. While its early to tell it appears incorporating animal impact both light grazing then removal and termination will have a profound impact.

I saw this first and at BDA farms in Uniontown Al. Their certified organic pastures were incredibly lush ,diverse and productive incorporating both perennials and annuals and short duration grazing. While they approached it to maximize cattle value what I saw was deer heaven.

I'm not totally anti herbicide. As Jack said limited judicious use has its place. I do not support herbicide [ pesticide, fungicide etc etc ] use as a standard ag practice for growing food or animals nor do I believe it will stand the test of time. But that is a much longer discussion for another time.

As a corollary , we sell organic [ not certified; could care less about govt anointment ] grass fed beef. But if a cow gets sick [ which is rare ] we will do what's best for the animal...including antibiotics, worming or whatever. We just sell that animal thru a different outlet than direct to our customer who rely on us for clean nutrient dense food. Same with herbicides. We use it on fence rows, to kill tallow tree invasions and specific narrow focused used. Not as a broad agricultural crutch.

Aspartame is in the same boat as glyphosate. The FDA has declared it "safe", even while hundreds of studies show a link between it and cancer. The company that invented aspartame was denied approval for 16 straight years until a former CEO of the company was in position to name a new FDA commissioner, who quickly granted it's approval.

Big money talks.

Aspartame is in the same boat as glyphosate. The FDA has declared it "safe", even while hundreds of studies show a link between it and cancer. The company that invented aspartame was denied approval for 16 straight years until a former CEO of the company was in position to name a new FDA commissioner, who quickly granted it's approval.

Big money talks.

Keep in mind that "link" is a way to frame things in a bad light for the general public that often don't understand the difference between a correlation and a causal relationship. The presence of ants on my seedling trees are highly correlated with those seedlings dying. Ants don't cause the to die at all. Aphids are killing the seedlings and ants happen to farm aphids. So ants are "linked" to seedling death. That is great for a headline to attract attention.

There are risks in everything. I drank so much soda in my life that I'd be 500 lbs if it was not diet soda. Most of us have a sweet tooth. When evaluating risk we also need to consider the risk in the context of the alternatives.

So, I guess you are right, from my perspective, just like gly, judicious use is likely a good idea. :emoji_smile:

It’s a cowboy trick to get better cow ponies and cattle dogs.

Wait

Feed em “ Round up!”

I like 2,4 D, and milestone. I also have good luck with curtail 4 thistle.

I don’t like to mix em in the same tank. I apply them a few days apart. I feel the 2,4, D opens up the plant to absorb the other chemicals. So ideally it’s the first applied.

Dang it. After swimming in it for so long I’ll have to find someone else to blame if I get cancer.

I have two bandaids on my chest right now. The dermatologist (I call her scissor hands) just sliced off 2 black spots.

Can I sue the sun?

Dang it. After swimming in it for so long I’ll have to find someone else to blame if I get cancer.

I have two bandaids on my chest right now. The dermatologist (I call her scissor hands) just sliced off 2 black spots.

Can I sue the sun?
Class action? I got cut on in July for the same thing.

There's a lawyer somewhere that will take it.

Everyone will get about $8. And the lawyer will get about $150 mil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know one way or the other. Here at home I use it to spary fence line and weeds. At farm - around cabin and gravel parking area. Years past I would spray every plot before planting. Quit that 2 years ago and plant right into the mowed fields late Sep - early Oct. Just mowed 2 fields this morn. Will let it lay for a month and then plant into it with a typical fall mix. That stuff is expensive these days!

Glyphosate persistence may be increased if you have hard water?

Dont know much biology.........

But, without herbicides, pesticides, and synthetic fertilizers someone's going to be without a meal somehwere. It'll trickle down the economic food chain. To do without these things we will need more people and more land to provide for the masses. Certainly gona take more diesel......
The "feed the world" moto is used repeated to justify the use of chemicals and fertilizers, but there are other better agricultural practices that can feed the world.

The "feed the world" moto is used repeated to justify the use of chemicals and fertilizers, but there are other better agricultural practices that can feed the world.
Maybe. Maybe not. I think it doubtful. For sure we use less herbicides, fungicides, and insecticides than we did when I first started my professional career in agriculture. There are many reasons for this. In my mind the most important is our ability to improve seed performance. Some of it is because of designed genetic modification. Some of it is by natural plant breeding and selection. One thing I am amazed about is the ability or corn to flourish (may be too strong an emphasis) in drought conditions. What I lament is the privatization of seed development. A lot of the yield improvements were accomplished long ago by land grant universities and much of the research was funded with public money. So, the varieties developed were in the public domain and seed could be produced freely - without the restrictions we face today. There's real concern that yield improvements have slowed below the pace of population growth. In the end, if we are to produce enough food for an ever expanding world population cost is also a huge factor. Chemical soil amendments like lime and fertilizer and the use of herbicides and insecticides will, out of necessity, continue.

Maybe. Maybe not. I think it doubtful. For sure we use less herbicides, fungicides, and insecticides than we did when I first started my professional career in agriculture. There are many reasons for this. In my mind the most important is our ability to improve seed performance. Some of it is because of designed genetic modification. Some of it is by natural plant breeding and selection. One thing I am amazed about is the ability or corn to flourish (may be too strong an emphasis) in drought conditions. What I lament is the privatization of seed development. A lot of the yield improvements were accomplished long ago by land grant universities and much of the research was funded with public money. So, the varieties developed were in the public domain and seed could be produced freely - without the restrictions we face today. There's real concern that yield improvements have slowed below the pace of population growth. In the end, if we are to produce enough food for an ever expanding world population cost is also a huge factor. Chemical soil amendments like lime and fertilizer and the use of herbicides and insecticides will, out of necessity, continue.
We must not lose sight of nutrient density and variety in our quest for higher yields. In deer we see what the generational impact is of better and worse nutrition in body size, antler development, brain development, health, etc. I feel safe assuming the same about humans. Therefore, if we focus only on yield at the cost of nutrient density and variety we will make ourselves less healthy and dumber than we otherwise could have been.

I don’t know anyone who can survive on a corn syrup diet. The feed the world moto is pure bullshit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh let them eat monsanto genetically modified cake..........

I might be a purveyor of death, but I get cheap smokes for my buddies in North Carolina. Now Im adding oil bsed paint to the list. Might be getting herbicides and pestiicides for my food plots / trees. Without roundup, ATV no-till will be alot tougher........ Can't get red tordon RTU in NY, triclopyr.

MY brother-in-law has 3 big john deere 65ft maybe even bigger sprayers.

So, where's the cheap roundup? Went into tractor supply in august or so, forgot the price, but it was high enough to pass on it.

I no where near claim to be a chemist.... But, what byproducts are produced in the "roundup" soup when the chemicals are being synthesiszed poorly / cheaply. MAking the chemical costs some, making it pure and consistent costs alot......

Last edited: