All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hybrid Willow Trees for Screening

bbcoach

5 year old buck +
Has anyone planted Hybrid Willow trees as a screen? I have a food plot and shooting lane that is open to a road. I have thought of closing off the shooting lane from the road and this tree is an option. These trees grow 6-12 feet per year, will grow in most soils, don't require much work and love wet conditions. This tree would give me instant screening by the fall, if I plant now. If planted 5 feet apart, they should make for a permanent screen as early as this fall.

Has anyone planted Hybrid Willow trees as a screen? I have a food plot and shooting lane that is open to a road. I have thought of closing off the shooting lane from the road and this tree is an option. These trees grow 6-12 feet per year, will grow in most soils, don't require much work and love wet conditions. This tree would give me instant screening by the fall, if I plant now. If planted 5 feet apart, they should make for a permanent screen as early as this fall.

I don't talk about it much here, as I don't want to be seen as owning the site to sell my stuff. But I operate a small business that sells 1000's of hybrid willows every year. Here is a link to the full kit (everything you need):

http://www.bigrocktrees.com/Screens_c_32.html

Or just the cuttings:

http://www.bigrocktrees.com/hybrid-willow-12.html

We are running low, as the season is well underway.

Thanks,

-John

Yes I have done it. Plant them 3 feet apart and let them grow for 2 or three years and if still not thick enough for you cut them off about 2' high and they will get twice as thick, just not as tall as fast.

I got my original hybrid willow cuttings from John and they have done great on my land. The subsequent cuttings I have taken from them have boomed as well. Deer browse them hard at my place and could cause growth to be not as good as you mentioned

My hybrid willow cuttings arrive tomorrow. I dont think I can get them into the ground until this weekend. Is that going to be a issue? What's my best bet to store them?

In the fridge in they'll fit, should be ok for a week. The problem with willows is the like to wake up.
Even if they start to bud break a bit poke them in the ground. Willow is the most forgiving cutting I've ever planted.

anyone have progression pics of a screen like this? I would be concerned that after leaf drop they would offer very little screening value until they had a few years on them. OP claims 5 feet and a screen yet this fall......I personally don't think these will grow fast enough in a single growing season, much less dense enough after leaf drop. This is why I ask. I do not know this for certain, just my suspicions. I think this fall he is going to end up with a row of sticks!

I don't have pics but they screen well until thanksgiving on my place. and then they can be seen through but it is not a clear view, lots of branches. I have planted miscanthus on the backside of the willows so they will end that problem for the next couple decades until the cedar that are planted on the other side of the willows take over the screening duty.

Not a progression pic but I took this a few minutes ago. First year it will be 10 foot sticks but it improves over time. This row really needs to be cut down so it can sprout like crazy. Like Willy said its doing its best while the cedars I planted are slowly doing thier thing.

image.jpeg

If you plant them through ground cover don't forget to go back later in the summer and cut it away from the trunks. Lumite will girdle a tree in one summer and you wasted lots of effort. If you don't use ground cover.........the effort thing. :)

So as many have stated - the willows are best used as phase 1 so to speak of a longer more robust screening plan with conifers and potentially tall grasses....which would make sense. I agree in the early phases something is better than nothing, but as with all things.....it's going to take time.